PDA

View Full Version : Free Lessons

just strum
June 27th, 2009, 05:12 PM
My daughter has been at a concert of local bands all day. Some of her friends from High School put it together and rented an outdoor stage in the town next to ours.

About 4:00 she came home for a minute and told me if I gave her $5 I could get six chances at winning a months worth of free lessons. The money goes to help pay for the concert, so I figured it as a donation, I never win anything (except a crucifix that glows in the dark). I won!!! It's the same place where I took lessons about a year ago.

Let's see, I'm going to have to get a new guitar (can't show up with the some old guitars I used last year).

Perfect Stranger
June 27th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Congrats! :AOK: That's very cool....I could use some of those myself.

just strum
June 27th, 2009, 05:25 PM
This place charges something like $25 per week. You can go to your scheduled lesson, but also can go as many times during the week as you like - just make an appointment and agree to use whatever instructor is available at that time (won't necessarily be your normal instructor).

tot_Ou_tard
June 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Coolio Strumster!

luvmyshiner
June 28th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Wow, good job Strummy. Now I don't suppose you have an inside tip on the winning lottery numbers for this week?

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Wow, good job Strummy. Now I don't suppose you have an inside tip on the winning lottery numbers for this week?

2, 14, 22, 37, 39, 44 - if you play a power ball - 17

Winner owes me a ES335, plus 10% of winnings.

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I narrowed it down to two instructors that I want to talk to before I start the free lessons. My intention is to continue if I feel a connection during the first four lessons.

First is:

http://www.gitterpicker.com/lessons/mark.asp

http://www.dejavoodooband.com/

The other:

http://www.gitterpicker.com/lessons/dave.asp

No preference as of right now, except I have an interest in what Dave might offer relating to the Blues.

vroomery
June 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
2, 14, 22, 37, 39, 44 - if you play a power ball - 17

Winner owes me a ES335, plus 10% of winnings.

I'd go with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ;)

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'd go with 4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42 ;)

If either of our numbers win and we don't play them...well, our butts will be sore from the kicking we will be giving ourselves.

luvmyshiner
June 28th, 2009, 07:17 PM
My butts already sore . . . but it's from all that damn Bahamian food.:messedup:

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 11:43 AM
Well, I went to the music store to talk to them about the free lessons.

Sign on the door - CLOSED ON FRIDAY - APPOINTMENT ONLY.

It appeared there might be someone in the back room, so I went back to my car and called to see if they would be open tomorrow (4th of July). A guy picked up (turned out to be the owner) and told me to come on in. He was there working on the books and waiting for his Luither to come in.

So I go in and set up lessons beginning next Wednesday. I am going to start with one of the instructors I am not familiar with, but is suppose to have a good blues background and tends to teach in the way I am looking for.

The owner told me that during the month of free lessons I am also entitled to use the lesson policy of scheduling sessions between my normally scheduled lesson and it will not count against my free four lessons and will give me an opportunity to meet with the two other instructors I initially intended on meeting.

I also took the time to play some guitars, but out of respect for him working on his books, I used a small amp at low volume.

just strum
July 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Well, I took my first lesson tonight and it was pretty good. Since it was the first lesson I talked more about what I wanted and just a short time on actual lessons. Fortunately I arrived 15 minutes early and the instructor was available.

Now I know a number of you may think I'm nuts, but I told the guy I want to go back to basics as far as exercises and some "homework". I've gotten so far off the trail that I think it's important to redirect my approach. I figure if there are basics I already know, I show him and move on. Already tonight he saw things that as he said "there is no need to review them, we'll discuss ways to use them". He also saw technique flaws that were hampering progress and we worked on that (simple things like finger placement). He noted that if I have an alternate way of doing things and they achieve the goal, he isn't going to mess with it.

I advised him that I will be meeting with two other instructors before making a decision on continuing after one month and then I will decide which instructor I want to use. Fortunately I can go to "tutor sessions" for free in between my scheduled sessions, so I might meet with this guy again on Sunday.