PDA

View Full Version : Mini's

just strum
June 27th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Can someone describe how a mini humbucker differs from a standard humbucker? I am referring to tone.

Kazz
June 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM
they sound smaller :-)

Rocket
June 27th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Can someone describe how a mini humbucker differs from a standard humbucker? I am referring to tone.
Seymour can:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/audio-samples/humbuckers_and/

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks.

Maybe it's the untrained ears or deteriorating hearing, but I hear little difference between the SM-1 Vintage Mini Humbucker and the LW-CH1 Live Wire Classic. Of course I am running it through a computer, but it is connected to a good Altec speaker system.

I've heard or read where people claim mini's are a waste, but I don't hear the difference that would cause me to be down on them.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 09:46 AM
strum, the difference in sound/tone between HBs and mini HBs is, well, "mini".
It certainly wouldn't be a deciding factor in my purchasing a particular guitar unless, of course, the mini's sounded crappy. But that's true for HBs, too.

The aesthetic factor might be what some people dislike, wrongly thinking that mini HBs are "small" and therefore put out a weaker or smaller sound. That's bollocks. :) It's all in their heads...they're already convinced.

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
The aesthetic factor might be what some people dislike, wrongly thinking that mini HBs are "small" and therefore put out a weaker or smaller sound. That's bollocks. :) It's all in their heads...they're already convinced.

I think you are right about the preconceived ideas or opinion about mini's (or any other product or gear). Too often people sort of get caught up in the opinions of comments they read and it becomes that herd mentality.

I am looking at a guitar with a mini in the neck position and don't have one at a local store to try out first. I need to sell a guitar to buy a guitar and that part of the deal fell through this morning, so it's back to square one.

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 04:30 PM
BTW, if each active member (282 at the moment) would send me $1.31205673758865 (US), I could get the guitar.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 04:36 PM
I think you are right about the preconceived ideas or opinion about mini's (or any other product or gear). Too often people sort of get caught up in the opinions of comments they read and it becomes that herd mentality.

I am looking at a guitar with a mini in the neck position and don't have one at a local store to try out first. I need to sell a guitar to buy a guitar and that part of the deal fell through this morning, so it's back to square one.

Hey, strummy, I hear that! If I get serious GAS for any new git or amp anytime soon, I, too, will be selling one (or two) to get one! :D

pes_laul
June 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
[QUOTE=just strum]BTW, if each active member (282 at the moment) would send me $1.31205673758865 (US), I could get the guitar.[/QUOTE

Im proud of you. thats some intense math there :p

SharkUSMC
June 29th, 2009, 05:47 AM
If you aren't needing to compensate for anything, the mini's should be just fine. :bravo:

Seriously though, just about any two pickups are going to sound at least somewhat different, best bet is to give 'em a listen if you can arrange that.

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
To me, the mini's I've played have a bit more note clarity than standard-sized HB's. They tend to have more high-end than a regular HB, as opposed to a P-90 which tends to have a midrange bump.

ZMAN
June 29th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Try this. Jason has some pretty good sound clips. I think you can get a pretty good idea.
http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=239&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups