PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU EQ your amp?

TS808
June 28th, 2009, 06:55 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what different people do with their amps in terms of setting their EQ.

Lately with my amps, whether two channel or single channel, I've been setting the EQ for my neck pickup on my strat. Of course, then it's way too bright for my bridge pickup, so I find myself either rolling back on the tone knob on my strat, or using the EQ on my Boss ME-70 to compensate for the bridge pickup.

Just curious how others set their amps...would like to hear how you all do it too.

Gutmann
June 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I think that's a good way to set the EQ - if you take a too smooth sound for the bridge-PU it get's too dark on the neck.
I take the stratposition 4 (neck/middle) an set the EQ to a nice cleansound with a bit edge.
I don't like the toneshaping with an ext. EQ very much. I think the tonepoti is a very useful tool - as well as the vol.poti.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I always EQ my amps with the guitar's selector switch set at the "middle" position. This gives a nice balance of bass and treb and usually works fine for neck and bridge settings.

TS, I know you have a Peavey DB 210 (man, how I LOVE that amp!). My EQ is set as follows on that one: Bass 6 mid 6.5 treb 7.5 (with 12 being the max). Usually the EQs on all my amps fall within one or two clicks of straight up (12 o' clock), w only small adjustments needed for buckers/single coils.

TS808
June 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I always EQ my amps with the guitar's selector switch set at the "middle" position. This gives a nice balance of bass and treb and usually works fine for neck and bridge settings.

TS, I know you have a Peavey DB 210 (man, how I LOVE that amp!). My EQ is set as follows on that one: Bass 6 mid 6.5 treb 7.5 (with 12 being the max). Usually the EQs on all my amps fall within one or two clicks of straight up (12 o' clock), w only small adjustments needed for buckers/single coils.

The Delta Blues 210 EQ works very well for both channels it seems. I usually EQ mine at 8 on treble, 6 on mids, and 5 on bass, so it seems we have them set pretty much the same.

I made a slight change to the DB tubes and went with the Blues Kit from Eurotubes....it puts a 12DW7/ECC83 2 in the V2 position and it really smooths out the overdrive a good bit.

I'll have to try setting the EQ on my Bandmaster VM to the mid pickup and check out how that works with my strats. :AOK:

marnold
June 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Good question. Now that I've got a guitar with a tone knob for the first time in years, I'm leaning towards making it pretty bright and then using the tone knob/effects to bring it down. That's at least the plan for the clean tone. Hi-gain stuff comes next :)

Robert
June 29th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I usually eq my amps flat. 12 o'clock mostly across the board, and then I use volume and tone knobs on my guitar to shape the tone the way I like it. My amps are all fairly bright sounding to start with, by the way.

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
My one amph is set at 5 across the board. Basically how Spud suggested I set it when I first got it. I do the rest with the tone knobs on my guitar, and tend to forget my amph EQ. Oh, and by the way, I love typing "Amph". In fact, I now have a habit of pronouncing amp with a "F" sound at the end. LOL!

goonrick
June 30th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I start with everything set to 5. No treble boost, low input on a twin-style amp. I usually trim the highs a bit to compensate for my overdrive and don't do a lot more fiddling with the amp. I usually use the guitar's tone knob to adjust between settings for neck and bridge p/ups.

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
First of all, make a decision on which pick up position you will play mostly. It makes a huge difference. I play mostly the middle position on my Strat and LP, so my amp is eq-ed to that position. Usually, I put bass, and treble on 1 o' clock
and middle on 8 o' clock, because this gives you a wider range to regulate the midrange through your tonepotis. From here on I start to adjust the sound. when the middle position sounds perfect I switch to the bridge pos which is a little bit too bright logically, so I back the tone and readjust the amp for middle pos once again of course with the bridge tonepoti backed! I can now switch between both positions and have great sound. Of course this also works for other combinations, maybe your are a neck pos player...you know what I wanna say.

sumitomo
July 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM
I play along with CD's ect.and they all sound different,so now I just set it straight up and tweak alittle from there and go for it,I am finding alot of tone comes from my hands and my physical approach of playing(hard,soft,pick attack,fingers ect.) Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
July 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
mids at 9 or 10, treble at about 7 and bass at about 6.

and my BOSS GE-7 set up pretty similar with some of the low and high frequencies cut out.