PDA

View Full Version : Billy Mays Found Dead

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The great pitch man was found dead at home at the age of 50.

Let's see CNN, MSNBC, Fox, VH1 get 3+ days of coverage out of this.

I'm sure we won't see Rev Sharpton and Rev Jackson being really, really, close friends - they just wouldn't get the camera time they seek from this one.

"Hi, Billy Mays here for Oxi Clean"

s3KEkBqDahg

ted s
June 28th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I just saw that as well,
That guy was always in my living room.
Unexpected.

luvmyshiner
June 28th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That guy was always in my living room.

That must have been quite annoying . . .:D

(sorry . . . don't speak ill of the dead Shiner, don't speak ill of the dead . . . insert genuflecting emoticon here)

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Nuthin against you, strummy...but is this really worth noting...really???

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Nuthin against you, strummy...but is this really worth noting...really???

Yes, it is. It's a point of sensationalism.

The guy is no less or more human than anyone else.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Understood. But the people in Darfur, for example, are human beings, too.

The next thing you know. we'll be posting that Marilyn Monroe's second cousin's gardener died. There are headlines...and then there are headlines, if you get my point.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for his family and friends. No doubt it's a great loss for them. The key words being "for them".

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 03:42 PM
You are missing the point and I'm not going to debate.

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
You are missing the point and I'm not going to debate.

You are correct, sir (Ed McMahon)...and I agree. I must be missing the point. It's not worth our time. :)

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It's not worth our time. :)

:AOK:

Spudman
June 28th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Looks like this wont be of any help then. :)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/28/bill-mays-found-dead-poli_n_221996.html
http://www.asseenontvvideo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mighty_mendit.jpg

just strum
June 28th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Looks like this wont be of any help then. :)
[

:rotflmao:

pes_laul
June 28th, 2009, 05:04 PM
I think the sham wow guy had something to do with this....

(ok I should not be joking around with stuff like this)

luvmyshiner
June 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I hear ya Pes. It's like passing a bad car accident . . . you don't want to look . . . but you just can't help it.

Rocket
June 28th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Meh... and all the mods PM me to label me a downer!

bigG
June 28th, 2009, 08:04 PM
A co-worker of mine was following his son on I-70 here in Kansas City. He watched him get hit head on and die.
Maybe it's not worth our time.............ask Shiner and CB about their friend's pain. I mean, who cares, right? (insert funny smilies now).
:D :D :D
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

*******If I may, I'd like to clear up something here. The comment "it's not worth our time" was between strum and I, and it specifically and ONLY had to do w us agreeing that it was "not worth our time" to debate this subject between us. His time and my time. It had nothing to do with Mr. Mays' death...*********

Spudman
June 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.ldcracingsailboats.co.uk/items/Dubarry-Cruiser-Deck-Shoe.jpg

oldguy
June 29th, 2009, 04:29 AM
*******If I may, I'd like to clear up something here. The comment "it's not worth our time" was between strum and I, and it specifically and ONLY had to do w us agreeing that it was "not worth our time" to debate this subject between us. His time and my time. It had nothing to do with Mr. Mays' death...*********
Understood. Offensive post deleted.

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Who'da think this thread could spawn drama?

At any rate, wouldn't it be ironic if it turned out that constant exposure to all the chemicals and fumes from the stuff he's hawked over the years did him in?

Or is that just me?

pes_laul
June 29th, 2009, 08:27 AM

At any rate, wouldn't it be ironic if it turned out that constant exposure to all the chemicals and fumes from the stuff he's hawked over the years did him in?

Or is that just me?
You know that's actually some smart thinking there.

Makes ya wonder...

Rocket
June 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe they'll embalm him with Oxyclean and wrap him in a shroud of ShamWow!

piebaldpython
June 29th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Well.......Billy Mays just always seemed to pop-up on my TV. Esp late at nite....he'd come on hawking what-ever in that way-too-loud voice of his. So, I guess in a sense he was a cultural icon, not a no-name pitchman.

Plus, facially he looked a lot like Bill Bergey, the star middle linebacker for the IGGLES back in the day......so just seeing him makes me watch for a couple of minutes.

The early reports are that he bonked his head getting off the plane the other day.......maybe that's would did him in. So, maybe a freak injruy similar to what happened to Natasha Richardson.

Spudman
June 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Or is that just me?

I dealt with chemical poisoning from my work environment for 3 years before I figured it out. So for him it certainly could be possible. I hope they research the cause of death.

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The early reports are that he bonked his head getting off the plane the other day.......maybe that's would did him in. So, maybe a freak injruy similar to what happened to Natasha Richardson.

Yeah, that's what the Orlando TV stations are reporting. Apparently it was a rough landing and the plane blew some tires.

My sister's mother in law recently got bonked on the head by a ball at one of my niece's volleyball games, and she was in the hospital for brain swelling within a day. They watched her for awhile, sent her home, and then she ended up having to go back in and get a craniotomy (sp?) to relieve the swelling.

It doesn't take much with a hard bonk on the head sometimes.

Brian Krashpad
June 29th, 2009, 09:29 AM
I dealt with chemical poisoning from my work environment for 3 years before I figured it out. So for him it certainly could be possible. I hope they research the cause of death.

Btw, I didn't mean to make light of his death, just to note the potential for irony if that was the/a cause.

Rocket
June 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Btw, I didn't mean to make light of his death, just to note the potential for irony if that was the/a cause.
I meant to make light... but I'm not going to apologize for it. Everybody dies sooner or later.
For some people, making light is a less-morose coping method than blubbering, grieving, & bumming out everone within earshot. I guess I'm one of those... prepare yourself, maybe today is your day, (or mine!)

ZdXfkkyI1nQ

Spudman
June 29th, 2009, 10:24 AM

Eh??? Death should be light. It's our most natural state. We are dead more than we are alive so I didn't see any problem with what you said. In fact, even on the slutty forums you carry yourself with a lot of dignity. Which is really something for a punk rocker.:D :beer:

It would be ironic if those products did indeed contribute to his early death. I shudder to think where I would be if I wouldn't have gotten those chemicals out of my system. They had a lot of affect on me and I was young, healthy, a champion and in my prime and they screwed me up.

djmcconnell
June 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
To quote my son's Facebook status today:

IN HONOR OF BILLY MAYS' DEATH, I WILL TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPS TODAY!!!

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Man, poor guy. This thread reminds me of when I got to spend afternoons watching re-runs on TV, or had summer vacation so could spend part of the morning watching a Mary Tyler Moore re-run or The Price is Right. Stuff like this was always on then. Well, I hope his family is all right.

piebaldpython
June 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
IN HONOR OF BILLY MAYS' DEATH, I WILL TYPE EVERYTHING IN CAPS TODAY!!!

+1 :D RIP Yeah, there was NO mistaking him for anyone else when he did a commercial.

piebaldpython
June 29th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Prelim reports are that he had an enlarged heart and that he most likely died of a pulmonary embolism or blocked artery. His heart weighed in at 17.6 ounces. The average male heart is 10-12 ounces. So, 1.5 bigger than norm and supposedly that adds to the risk. No head trauma was found.

http://www.popeater.com/television/article/billy-mays-dies/546990?icid=main|main|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.p opeater.com%2Ftelevision%2Farticle%2Fbilly-mays-dies%2F546990

just strum
June 29th, 2009, 03:05 PM
For the record, the reason for the thread was to point out sensationalism. Sensationalism brought on by the news media, sensationalism brought on by the people that are now suddenly "best friends with the deceased".

Hell, even Joe Jackson tried to plug a new recording venture yesterday.

So any disrespect here is a far cry from what is being broadcast on national and international news outlets.

Don't argue or fight over a death that is so far removed from you.

R_of_G
June 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
I shudder at the fact that I am about to quote Don Henley because I despise Don Henley but it seems appropriate after Strum's very cogent point about the media...

"It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry" - Don Henley, Dirty Laundry

just strum
June 29th, 2009, 03:54 PM
"It's interesting when people die, give us dirty laundry" - Don Henley, Dirty Laundry

heh, heh :rotflmao: he quoted Don Henley:D

Spudman
June 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM
OMG! Did you just quote Don Henley??? Whasup wid dat?

Warning! RoG is going mainstream.

Robert
June 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM
He DID quote Don Henley... oh my, R_of_G is no longer on the other side of mainstream.... :eek:

TS808
June 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Billy Mays has been all over the local news here as he was a Pittsburgh native.

R_of_G
June 29th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I feel dirty about quoting Don Henley. I tried showering but it won't come off. I feel like I've lost my hipster cred. :rotflmao:

On the bright side, I changed my av and sig today to Thurston Moore, so that might help me feel better. :D

hagarfreak33
June 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I was starting to watch Pitchmen-pretty good-I liked that tool buddy

sunvalleylaw
June 29th, 2009, 11:04 PM
heh, heh :rotflmao: he quoted Don Henley:D

There has to be some sort of Facecult, i mean facebook quiz about quoting Don Henley. ;) :D

just strum
June 30th, 2009, 04:43 AM
I feel dirty about quoting Don Henley. I tried showering but it won't come off. I feel like I've lost my hipster cred. :rotflmao:

On the bright side, I changed my av and sig today to Thurston Moore, so that might help me feel better. :D

If you post one day that you were "out ridin' fences" we'll know we lost you.

ted s
June 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I don't get it, what's wrong with Don Henley ? Fill me in.

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I don't get it, what's wrong with Don Henley ? Fill me in.

We were all just joking around Ted. Mr. Henley became so prolific, and his songs had so much exposure for all those years that one can become "overexposed" to his work, and since R_of_G is normally so eclectic and avant garde in his tastes, it was fun to tease him about quoting someone who became so popular in the mainstream. At least that's what I think. :)

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 08:06 AM
We were all just joking around Ted. Mr. Henley became so prolific, and his songs had so much exposure for all those years that one can become "overexposed" to his work, and since R_of_G is normally so eclectic and avant garde in his tastes, it was fun to tease him about quoting someone who became so popular in the mainstream. At least that's what I think. :)

Steve is essentially on track here.

In short, and I will keep it nice, R_of_G does not care in the least for the Eagles or Henley's solo material. For a more succinct phrasing of my view on the Eagles, see The Big Lebowski as I share entirely in the Dude's assessment. :D

Also, Strum, the only time I'd ever reference Desperado would be to reference the Seinfeld episode in which it played so heavily with Elaine's boyfriend. Otherwise, I shudder to even think of that song.

just strum
June 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Also, Strum, the only time I'd ever reference Desperado would be to reference the Seinfeld episode in which it played so heavily with Elaine's boyfriend. Otherwise, I shudder to even think of that song.

Witchy Woman:D

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Witchy Woman:D

Hey, you DO know that the Queen of Hearts is always your best bet, don't you?! ;)

Spudman
June 30th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Sounds like RoG has been out ridin fences for so long now. Oh, youre a hard one.
I know that you got your reasons. These things that are pleasin you can hurt you somehow.

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 02:12 PM
R_of_G just turned the Sonic Youth up louder in his headphones to drown out the Eagles voices trying to get in.

Incidentally, I did indirectly listen to the Eagles the other day when I listened to the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique as "High Plains Drifter" samples part of "Those Shoes." That's as close as I get. :whatever:

just strum
June 30th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I read some of the additioanl posts here this morning and then had to go to a training class at 8:00 AM. I walk into the room and the instructor is playin the Eagles. I cringe and ask if he has any Guns and Roses (suggesting an extreme) - no was the answer. "How about Clapton?" I ask. "Yes" was the response. "Put it on!!!"

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 03:47 PM
R_of_G just turned the Sonic Youth up louder in his headphones to drown out the Eagles voices trying to get in.

It must have been getting to you. You are starting to talk about yourself in the third person like Stevie Nicks used to do. :thwap: :D

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
yeah, it was my rickey henderson moment. :D

marnold
June 30th, 2009, 06:26 PM
R of G be R of G.

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 07:07 PM
R of G be R of G.

Exactly. :bravo:

piebaldpython
June 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM
R_of_G just turned the Sonic Youth up louder in his headphones to drown out the Eagles voices trying to get in.:

Uh-oh......so you third-personed yourself.....and since you're a Seinfeld fan......one can only hope that you aren't trying to emulate that guy on Seinfeld who ALWAYS referred to himself in the third person. What the heck was his name??? :D Anyway, the dude who was always in competition with Jerry over something. Chuckie???? Dunno. I wasn't a Seinfeld fan. :D

ted s
June 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Jimmy !
George is getting angry !

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 08:00 PM
George likes spicy chicken..

Gammi's getting upset!

etc...

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 08:16 PM
(slams money on table)

I'm out!!

etc.

(couldn't resist. my favorite scene and episode).

pes_laul
June 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
(slams money on table)

I'm out!!

etc.

(couldn't resist. my favorite scene and episode).
haha possibly the only episode I've seen:D

MichaelE
June 30th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I'm glad my mute button on the remote is finally going to get a rest.

Spudman
June 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
I'm glad my mute button on the remote is finally going to get a rest.

WTF? You just brought us back on topic? What's up with that? :D

R_of_G
July 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM
:rotflmao:

marnold
July 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
One of my friends quipped yesterday that perhaps a person only gets so many decibels in one lifetime.

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM

Or we can conclude from this - Billy Mays was actually a Seinfeld spin-off.