PDA

View Full Version : LED on my Ibanez DL5 delay pedal has grown dim

Pickngrin
June 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Whether I use an OEM Ibanez power supply or my 1-Spot, the LED on my DL5 Soundtank now remains consistently dim. I hadn't changed any resistors. Would it make sense to replace the LED with one of a different value (and if so, what value?) or replace a resistor with one of a lower value?

Thanks

duhvoodooman
June 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Most likely it's the LED; very doubtful that the resistor would fail in such a low voltage application. So I'd just order a replacement LED. They're generally either 3mm or 5mm diam. (the former is about 1/8", and the latter a bit less than 1/4"). HERE (http://www.pedalpartsplus.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=PPP&Category_Code=L0) is a good place to get them--and they won't sock it to you on the mailing cost.

Might also possbly be just a cracked/oxidized solder joint, so the first thing you might want to try is reflowing the solder joints in the LED/resistor circuit.

Spudman
June 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Might also possbly be just a cracked/oxidized solder joint, so the first thing you might want to try is reflowing the solder joints in the LED/resistor circuit.

Also do this at the power jack. I've had a couple of my pedals quit functioning due to cracked solder joints at the AC jack/pcb connection.

Pickngrin
June 29th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Ah, thanks. I didn't realize that LEDs could partially fail; I thought they either worked or didn't. I think I might have an LED on hand that I can try. I'll check the solder joints too.
Thanks again. This is such a great forum!

markb
June 29th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Older leds look pretty dim next to new ones too.

Pickngrin
June 29th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I just cannibalized an LED from some scrap electronics and sure enough, it's as bright as new. Thanks, guys.