PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal ?

ted s
August 14th, 2006, 02:59 PM
1998 MIM standard Strat, vintage saddles, new tusq nut. Lets call it like new condition. With a gig bag. $450. Can.$
HELLLLLLLLLP !! :confused:

TIA

Ted

TS808
August 14th, 2006, 04:20 PM
1998 MIM standard Strat, vintage saddles, new tusq nut. Lets call it like new condition. With a gig bag. $450. Can.$
HELLLLLLLLLP !! :confused:

TIA

Ted

Ted,
I don't know what $450 Canadian translates to in American dollars, but the new MIM standard strats are selling for $369 to $404 on Musicians Friend.

For $499 US you can get the 60th anniversary MIM standard strat. Here are the features:

FenderĀ® 60th Anniversary Commemorative Standard StratocasterĀ© Electric Guitar Features:

* Standard Series
* Alder body
* Maple neck with modern C shape
* Maple fretboard
* Chrome hardware
* Cast/sealed tuning machines
* Vintage-style synchronized tremolo
* 3 Tex Mex single-coil Strat pickups
* 5-way pickup switching
* 3-ply parchment pickguard
* Master volume
* Tone 1 (neck pickup)
* Tone 2 (middle pickup)
* Blizzard pearl finish
* Engraved 60th Anniversary neck plate
* Satin tinted neck
* 60th Anniversary gig bag

Again, if that was $450 American, I wouldn't go for it, but that's just me. The 60th anniversary comes with a gig bag and Tex-Mex pups. The pups alone sell for about $120 new.

duhvoodooman
August 14th, 2006, 04:28 PM
$450. Can.$
Lemme see, that's about $75 US, right? ;) :D

I'd compare it to the going rate for a new MIM std. Strat, comparably equipped, up there in the Great White North. If it's more than about 70% of the as-new price, I'd pass on it....

ted s
August 14th, 2006, 04:49 PM
thanks for the tips guy's.. it's right around $400 US

TS808
August 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Lemme see, that's about $75 US, right? ;) :D

I'd compare it to the going rate for a new MIM std. Strat, comparably equipped, up there in the Great White North. If it's more than about 70% of the as-new price, I'd pass on it....

I'd pass on it I think. You can get a new one for less than $400, buy some graph tech Ferraglide saddles, and then throw in any pickup set you want. The necks on the MIM strats are pretty good in my opinion, as are the nuts. The saddles aren't a critical replacement (although I would change them eventually) and replace the pups.

But, if that comes out to about $400 US, I'd spring the extra $99 and get the MIM 60th anniversary.