PDA

View Full Version : Groovetube FatFinger

pes_laul
June 29th, 2009, 11:34 AM
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Fat-Finger-Guitar-Sustain-Enhancer?sku=420270&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2502662#new

I was looking at what rig Joe Satriani was using at it said he used one of these. Apparently it's a sustainer that fits on your headstock.

Does anyone own or have played with one because I'm kinda curious about it.

Rocket
June 29th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Inexpensive "C" clamp will provide same effect: mass = mass however attained.

Spudman
June 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I've never used one either. It would be an interesting experiment to see if it really made any difference. But like the man says, "mass=mass." Try something like a C clamp before you but one of the Fat Fingers.

tunghaichuan
June 29th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've never tried one of the GT Fat Fingers, but I can think of a couple advantages over a C clamp. First, C clamps are usually made of die cast metal, sometimes iron, IIRC; the Fat Finger is made of brass, which will have more mass. Of course you can get huge C clamps to make up for this.

Second, the Fat Finger is made to attach to a guitar's headstock so it won't mar it. YMMV with a C clamp.

Still, as Rocket and Spud pointed out a C clamp might be a good idea to try before you plunk down the cash for a Fat Finger.

tung

Rocket
June 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Mass is mass, whether it be brass, steel, platinum, or huge burlap bag-O-feathers. Brass is no more beneficial than any other similar source of mass. Now sympathetic resonance is another matter altogether... but we're not discussing that and I have no data on brass/wood or other combinations. I'd guess it's highly subjective depending on material combinations.

sumitomo
June 29th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Its kinda funny that things like these are like dress fashion(like wow that was in back in the '60s)because I remember about 20 yrs ago when they were sellin a brass block that bolted to your headstock for more sustain!!!Sumi:D

markb
June 29th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I think that was the GT Fathead, Sumi. Mr. Pittman is pretty good at selling things :)

msteeln
June 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Went to www.harmony-central.com to get a more recent take on this product and the first reviewer stated something interesting which proved to be true with some others that commented. Bottom line, it can be an improvement, or lessen what you already had.

I tried a custom version of the Fathead years ago on my steel guitar with no notable change.

hubberjub
June 30th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Does anyone remember the brand of guitar that came out in the late 80's early 90's that had metal inserts in the body to add mass? That was an interesting concept.

Perfect Stranger
June 30th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Mass is mass, whether it be brass, steel, platinum, or huge burlap bag-O-feathers. Brass is no more beneficial than any other similar source of mass. Now sympathetic resonance is another matter altogether... but we're not discussing that and I have no data on brass/wood or other combinations. I'd guess it's highly subjective depending on material combinations.

I think his point was that the heavier the material the smaller footprint it might
have. You might not look funny with a brass Fatfinger on your guitar, but you
might look a little odd with a one pound burlap bag of feathers hanging from
your guitar.

Course, I could be wrong....

pes_laul
June 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Me and my dad checked a bit more into this.

We took a C -Clamp (not a very big one) and taped the ends (so it didn't scratch) and we put it on and did comparisons. I must say I did notice a pretty good difference. My chords shimmered out longer and a lot of low end seemed to accompany my guitar. also in distortion my notes would rong out a lot longer

P.J.
July 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Groove-Tubes-Fat-Finger-Guitar-Sustain-Enhancer?sku=420270&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=2502662#new

I was looking at what rig Joe Satriani was using at it said he used one of these. Apparently it's a sustainer that fits on your headstock.

Does anyone own or have played with one because I'm kinda curious about it.

You can even use a capo for this.

=-) PJ