PDA

View Full Version : Avatar Speaker Cab

Robert
August 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM
I am thinking about getting either a 2x12 or a 1x12 Avatar cab. I need some advice! Which one should I get? All my gear is in the basement at home, and I worry about hauling a 2x12 up and down the stairs. The Avatar 1x12 gets great reviews and it sounds really big from what I hear.

I want to "travel light" but I want a good, big sound too, of course.

I plan on using the cab with both the Vox AD50VT and the Reverend Hellhound - both these amps have speaker out - but I will never play both amps at the same time.

My first goal is decent acoustic guitar, then a cab, then a head, then ________ (fill in the blanks with gear of choice).

TS808
August 14th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Personally, I like 2 x 12 cabs just because of the fuller sound. A 1 x 12 cab stacked under a combo will definitely give you a fuller sound, but not the same as a 2 x 12.

If you want portability, I would get the 1 x 12 cab or just keep my rig the way it is. If you want to add a bigger sound to your rig, I'd go for the 2 x 12. The only thought I have regarding either choice is how the speakers would match up with the AD50VT.

Spudman
August 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Check these guys out too since you are still shopping.
http://www.earcandycabs.com/

Robert
August 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks Spud, but I can get the Avatar in Canada. Those cabs seem more expensive too.

I am tempted to get the 2x12. This one maybe - http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/documents/g212v3.html

Or will do 1x12 move enough air?
http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/

Tone2TheBone
August 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Rob - please get the 2x12. :)

TS808
August 15th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Robert

Either way, it will add to your tone. The 1 x 12 will add some fullness to your rig, and the 2 x 12 will add some as well, giving you a little bit more bottom end. I'm partial to 2 x 12's, but it all depends on what sound you're looking for.

If you get a chance, hit a local music store and try out some different configurations and go from there. Avatar makes a great cab either way, so you can't go wrong.

The only comparison I can offer is when I was using Line 6 amps. I had a Flex III Plus with an extension cab, and also had a Flextone XL with 2 12's. Both had totally different tonal characteristics. More thump from a 2 x 12 cab for sure.

SuperSwede
August 16th, 2006, 03:38 AM
2x12! :)

But it will be a heavy thing to carry to all those optician stores you gig in.

Robert
August 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Everyone says 2x12..... you guys are gonna ruin my back!

Spudman
August 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM
If you got the 1x12 from Ear Candy you wouldn't need a 2x12 Avatar or any 4x12 for that matter. Read up on them bro.

oldguy
August 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Well, Robert, you have some choices here. First, a tuned and ported cab from earcandy will be much more efficient, delivering much more punch than the avatar cabs. Second, by using an alnico speaker you can save on weight, and gain efficiency. The downside of this is alnicos are more expensive. At 51 yrs. old, I don't have any trouble carrying my 2x12 cab, but if weight is a concern, I'd certainly look into a 1x12 ported and tuned cab with an efficient alnico speaker, I think it would be more than loud enough and have plenty of punch, although it may cost as much as a less efficient and heavier 2x12. If you've heard "ported and tuned" PA speakers, you'll know how much better the sound is when the air is moved in such a manner as to get the best sound from a small enclosure. Hope this helps.:)
Glenn

Robert
August 21st, 2006, 03:43 PM
I stopped in today at L & M in Edmonton, and what do I see? A used 2x12 Avatar cab for $210.00 (CDN) !! I am not sure I'll keep the Celestion Seventy-Eigthy speakers, but I thought for that price, I'd better get it anyway. I can always experiment with speakers. At least I have a good cabinet to start from. I will pick it up on Wed - it didn't fit in my car today (been camping). So, I'll report more once I get some time to play (with) it.

I must say, it is very light. Surprisingly light. They had a Dr. Z and a Fender 2x12, and I could barely move those beasts!

Robert
August 22nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Oooooh, I played my tube combo, the Reverend Hellhound today through my Avatar 2x12. Balls! Balls! This little boxy combo now can kick like a big Fender amp! Exciting! I think my Vox is at the risk of dust collecting for a while. I am very impressed by this. My guitar sound is now much "bigger". Can't wait for a decent sized gig so I can turn up....hehe

The cheap speakers in it, Seventy 80, are not bad at all. I think the cab makes the biggest difference, but some good quality Eminence would probably improve an already fine sound.

I was thinking I need a head to go with the cab, but really, I don't. The Hellhound now really sounds like a hound from Hell, and I see no reason to buy a new tube amp. Not right now anyway. Some day I'll get some fancy tube head, but for now this will keep me happy for a good while.

When I tested the cab, I played a Dr. Z Delta 88. What a monster amp! 88 watts of tube attitude through this cab in a small practice room. I felt like a little ant on the highway! Great amp for sure - the tone was fantastic - but way too much oomph for me.

There are better sounding cabs I'm sure, but I am happy with this baby. It is light, looks very vintage with the Fender-style grill cloth and sounds big and tight. Made my day!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 22nd, 2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah Robert i was looking at them after reading your post , they look great and are highly regarded on other forums .. hmmm..love to have a small 4-10 cabinet ..note to self , aug 22/06 Robert swears off all impending amp gas attacks ... put up a couple of pics ...6S9L

Robert
August 23rd, 2006, 09:41 AM
GAS attacks will likely force me to buy more amps... I admit it.
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/avatar-2.jpg
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/uploads/avatar-1.jpg

Tone2TheBone
August 23rd, 2006, 09:45 AM
Does your back hurt now? ;) Good score. Remember though you'll blow another $200 or more for replacement speakers making your investment higher.

t_ross33
August 23rd, 2006, 10:44 AM
I'm kinda dumb, so forgive me if this is (yet another) stupid question: obviously the hellhound has a speaker out connection, does it cancel the speaker on the combo? I have a "signal" out on my Yamaha 2x12 combo, but not sure what it's for (old and somewhat obscure amp, not much info out there). How can I test if this is for an external speaker/cab? Any risk in plugging in a PA speaker/monitor to the amp or the speaker? I like the idea of a 2x12 cab to increase the bottom end (plus it looks absolutely sick!).

Thanks,

Trev

Robert
August 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
No, on my Hellhound, the combo speaker stays engaged. Pretty cool.

Signal out sounds like a line out feature. Not the same as speaker out! Try it through a PA.

T2TB, the cab is VERY light, so my back is still in fine condition!

Justaguyin_nc
February 5th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah!! I finally got around to getting one... well..its in the shipping stage... Suppose to be "Like New" found on ebay for around $250 instead of the near $325 at Avatar.. so the wait begins... got a closed back... main reason.. we have "cats"..:)

AVATAR G212H Custom closed back, deluxe Black tolex, Wheat fabric grill guitar cab. It has 2 Hellatone 60L 12in speakers

I already added this link to what a hellatone 60L sounds like.. but.. here it is again... now if I could get that amp, guitar and experience playing it.. I should sound just like the last half of the clip...lol

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=264448&songID=4086172

tot_Ou_tard
February 5th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Hot D, Justa! Are you gonna put the powerblock through it? You're gonna blow the rafters offa your place.

Robert
February 5th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Congrats! I am sure you will love it. It's a heck of a lot of speaker cab for the money!

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Yeah!! I finally got around to getting one... well..its in the shipping stage... Suppose to be "Like New" found on ebay for around $250 instead of the near $325 at Avatar.. so the wait begins... got a closed back... main reason.. we have "cats"..:)

AVATAR G212H Custom closed back, deluxe Black tolex, Wheat fabric grill guitar cab. It has 2 Hellatone 60L 12in speakers

I already added this link to what a hellatone 60L sounds like.. but.. here it is again... now if I could get that amp, guitar and experience playing it.. I should sound just like the last half of the clip...lol

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=264448&songID=4086172

Justa.. you buy stuff from eBay??? I thought you hated that place!

Justaguyin_nc
February 5th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I do hate EBAY!! more so Paypal... I just can't stop using it..lol!!

Yeah I will be putting it thru the powerblock.. Set the speaker next to me turn it on full and see if it blows me across the room like in "back to the future".... lol..

I have yet to even hear this powerblock thru its own speaker cab... I do run the lineout to a 5 watt tube amp and it sounds pretty cool that way.. I just want to see what it sounds like with what suppose to be a good speaker setup.. I enjoyed the sounds from the celestion in the Fender amp I had.. I am sure I am going to enjoy this one!!

The Powerblock is rated at 150watt.. these two should give me 120watt.. now there should be no danger that close should there? besides my ears? lol

Justaguyin_nc
February 9th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Wow ,(HoneyMoon) my first cab is here!! This Avatar Cab is nice...
I was thinking the price they sell them for, compared to others would mean lower quality on the cab..
But it is made pretty darn solid. Clean looking with just a small logo in the upper left corner, Nickel corner protection..Black tolex applied smooth, with no glue runs..
wood looks thick enough to handle some blows and pretty heavy if weight adds to quality... probably around 40-50lbs(Just a guess..and I been retired 2 months now, with little lifting since )..with steel handles built into each side, this cab is about 12 inches deep to move some air.
I know its much heavier than the Combo was... and larger...
I really wanted a Fenderish front on it.. but now that I got it in wheat (ebay), I am glad it is... blends nice in its present position.
I would buy again in an instant..

now to the sound...Hellatone 60L's..
I have yet to be able to crank it much past halfway on the Crate.....
The lady of the house is home for the next 5 days.. And I wont do that in front of her for both our sakes (Hopefully she goes shopping..heh)..
Yes I have a proper speaker cable in 16ga.(Thanks to post readings here in the forums) going from the amp head to cab.
Cranked it loud enough to check for cracks..I hope..:) Actually it looks brand new and shipped in the original box.
The sounds surely do fill a room.. For decent volume without hurting my ears (seeing its only 4 feet from me and pointed my way)
The Crate is only set to 9:00 on volume and gain.. Obviously this is a very low setting but enough sound for my general use.
When I go up 10-11:00 with the gain.. it starts to open up.. wow.. Everything I play is Jumping out at me..
Crank gain to 2pm put it louder on Volume Level and its a concert with pure good sound..even with me playing!!
Looper does well runnning backing thru it..
Now remember I usually use Computer speakers or Headphones..
Even with the Champ I usually ran it that way although I liked the 1x12 sound..
it does not compare to what I am getting here with the crate and cab..
This sounds so good with the crate IMHO...
I may have to stick to listening to this while the line out of the PowerBlock runs to the computer for recording...
Ofcourse seeing both speaker out and lineout run at the same time I can always mic and lineout..
Well, thats all I can say for it at the present time.. other than, I am now in the cab arena and can see some tube heads comming my way..:)
Now that I have something to plug them into.

See me when the honeymoon is over and I will probably be selling everything for something else... but at the present time.. not a chance.. I likes it..:R

LagrangeCalvert
March 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM
See, I have to disagree with avatar being a "great" speaker cab. I used to work in a construction supply warehouse, and we manufactured cabs (kitchen and others) there, so I brought my avatar 1x12 there to have the head builder/carpenter dissect it. POOP, it was built very cheaply. Hand built is a term used by an assembly of people putting the pieces together. Thats why when I worked there we had 2 styles of hand built cabs. One was almost twice as much as the other. One was completely built by hand. All the pieces were handled by man in the process. Im in no way trying to take away from your avatar cab, they sound AMAZING, but I can bet you millions you could put it side by side with an earcandy 1x12 and the Earcandy would dominate. See if you can get some helltones from avatar or make your own. Their break in process can be done by anyone. Play music thru the speaker with a stereo or other sound system for eight hours straight. OR, better yet - SPEAKERS BREAK IN ON THEIR OWN! Just play your cab long enough and you have helltones - so basically your paying them to play speakers till their broke in.

On a lighter note,

I WANT YOUR HELL HOUND!

Robert
March 23rd, 2007, 10:42 AM
I think the Avatar cabs are great - for the money you pay. There's a reason some other guitar cabs cost more than twice as much, they will be better built and probably sound better too.

On a lighter note - My Hellhound sounds even sweeter now with my new Eminence Red White and Blues!