PDA

View Full Version : Good guitar albums?

Robert
June 30th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Any good albums out this year that features good guitar playing?

I bought Bireli Lagrene's latest, which is pretty good but I've heard him in better settings.

Derek Trucks albums looks interesting and it's getting good feedback.

I'm really interested in any album by Oz Noy, if anyone has recommendations let me know.

msteeln
June 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Not sure if the new CD is out yet, but until you have it in your trembling hands, check out Mermen at - www.mermen.net www.myspace.com/mermensurf www.ilike.com/artist/The+Mermen and their old site that still has lot's of cool stuff - www.mermen.com

Blaze
June 30th, 2009, 02:51 PM
An oldie ,but sure is good ...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B00005LMM7/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Not sure if the new CD is out yet, but until you have it in your trembling hands, check out Mermen at - www.mermen.net www.myspace.com/mermensurf www.ilike.com/artist/The+Mermen and their old site that still has lot's of cool stuff - www.mermen.com

Good call on this. I have all of their previous stuff and it is all excellent guitar music. Great surf rock tones, but much much more.

Also, the newest Sonic Youth album "The Eternal" is, well it's Sonic Youth. If you like Thurston and Lee's guitar playing, you'll like this. C'mon. Did you people really think I wasn't going to mention that one? :D

Robert
June 30th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Sonic Youth? :whatever:

R of G, what about Don Henley's latest? :D :D :D

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
I thought the Sonic Youth was a fan group for the young fans of my team . . . not. I have not seen or listened to them in a while, though I have seen them live long ago at the Columbia River Gorge at George. Good stuff! I am now reminded to check out some more recent stuff and focus more on the guitar work.

R_of_G
June 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo are two of my biggest guitar heroes. It's what initially attracted me to that band. I happen to really like the lyrics and Kim's bass playing and her singing and all the rest of what makes SY great, but it still always centers around those two guitars for me.

pes_laul
June 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Type o Negative - World coming done. Not exactly lead playing but some of the melody is really good (though his tone is a bit digital)

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo are two of my biggest guitar heroes. It's what initially attracted me to that band. I happen to really like the lyrics and Kim's bass playing and her singing and all the rest of what makes SY great, but it still always centers around those two guitars for me.

I did not yet play guitar when I saw them, (back in the mid 90's sometime) as they opened for R.E.M., but I remember I enjoyed SY more, at least that night.

Robert
June 30th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Back to topic! Good albums with good guitar playing this year please! :)

I guess a given would be Bonamassa's latest? Vood?

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Hmm, I personally like the guitars in the new Green Day album. Not that Green Day is known for its guitar work, and not very complex perhaps, but compelling, and they got a lot of sounds out of a punk band, from George Harrison like tones to their typical power chords. And I always like their chord changes.

Wilco (the album) looks very interesting, and if the guitar work is like I saw on Austin City Limits, it should be quite interesting from a guitar perspective.

Monkus
July 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM
John Mayer Trio - Try! Hard to believe all that music comes from three people.

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 09:36 AM
Try! didn't come out this year, did it? I have it, it's pretty good.

marnold
July 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah, Joe B.'s "The Ballad of John Henry" would be my pick. I'm hoping that the new Lynch Mob CD will be too.

No offense intended, SVL, but I don't think I could ever consider a Green Day album to be a "Good guitar album" for the reasons you listed. Then again, punk as a genre has been more about attitude and aggression than mad guitar playin' skillz.

Blaze
July 1st, 2009, 02:05 PM
Funny manouche guitar style covers band...

Look for the ''Lost in 80 s'' album in the albums section ..

http://thelostfingers.com/en

tunghaichuan
July 2nd, 2009, 08:16 AM
Mastadon - Crack the Skye

Heaven & Hell - The Devil You Know

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I guess a given would be Bonamassa's latest? Vood?
ABSOLUTELY!! :AOK: :dude: Tons of tasty playing on The Ballad of John Henry.

I haven't heard any of it yet, but have come across positive comments about Joe Satriani's new band, Chickenfoot, with Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony and Chad Smith, and their eponymous first release.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Yeah, Joe B.'s "The Ballad of John Henry" would be my pick. I'm hoping that the new Lynch Mob CD will be too.

No offense intended, SVL, but I don't think I could ever consider a Green Day album to be a "Good guitar album" for the reasons you listed. Then again, punk as a genre has been more about attitude and aggression than mad guitar playin' skillz.

None taken, and I couched my recommendation that way for that very reason. I am of the camp that lower technical skill guitar work can be just as excellent, or more so in some cases, than more technical shreddiness, depending on which emotes, expresses and moves me more. I can appreciate Malmstreen but he just does not move me. I think GD's album is moving in parts, and a big expansion for them, what with all the classic rock sounds they try out between power chords and short punk leads.

Another example for me is Neil Young.

But all that is off topic. Robert, I still think you should check out the new Wilco album. I certainly will be checking out JB's! :AOK:

Lev
July 2nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
I downloaded the new Carl Verheyen record last week.

http://www.amazon.com/Trading-8s-Carl-Band-Verheyen/dp/B001TQJH2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1246548782&sr=8-1

It's got some pretty nice guitar playing (although one or two of the songs lack a bit of punch). But you'll enjoy the duets he does with Joe Bonamassa, Scott Henderson, Robben Ford, Albert Lee and Steve Morse.

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Mastadon - Crack the Skye
AAMOF, Mastadon has the cover on the new issue of Guitar Player....

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Just bought the Verheyen album on iTunes!

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Just bought the Verheyen album on iTunes!
That's one I may need to check out, too!

SuperSwede
July 3rd, 2009, 01:28 AM
Yngwie J Malmsteen - "Rising Force" !! :D

Disraeli
July 3rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
THe Black Keys- Attack and Release
Dan Auerbach- Keep it hid.

marnold
July 3rd, 2009, 09:53 AM
Yngwie J Malmsteen - "Rising Force" !! :D
Well, yeah, except it wasn't released this year :)

The Chickenfoot album does have some tasty playing on it. Oddly enough, in the first couple of listens through I find myself more interested in Satch's rhythm parts than the solos. Not that the solos are bad by any means, I just think he's got some cool riffs on here that don't immediately strike me as classic Satch.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
not sure if it fits the bill or not, but Petrucci's playing on systematic Chaos (dream theater) is the best ive heard for a long time

kicks the crap out of satriani.

SuperSwede
July 4th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Well, yeah, except it wasn't released this year :)

:thwap: I know I know.. I should have read the ENTIRE thread ;)