PDA

View Full Version : New Gibson for $249

just strum
June 30th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I don't know it to be fact, but posted in another forum

For those interested Musicians Friend has Gibson Melody Maker single pickup guitars in a huge variety of colours as long as you want White for only US$249 (Aus$305) including free shipping within the USA. The story goes that Gibson over produced the white ones back in 2007 and put the excess into storage. To turn storage costs into liquid cash they did a deal with Musicians Friend and have used word of mouth/internet (no advertising costs) to sell them.

Ring 1-800-391-8762 and press the number for sales and then ask for the $249 White Gibson Melody Maker deal.

Spudman
June 30th, 2009, 04:00 PM
a huge variety of colours as long as you want White :rotflmao:

I've never seen a white one.

just strum
June 30th, 2009, 04:06 PM
:rotflmao:

I don't know if it's true, but I don't have the money for one right now and the deal will be gone when I do. I have another guitar that I am interested in and some other expenses coming up.

Tempted to call just to see if it is true, but that would just increase temptation.

duhvoodooman
June 30th, 2009, 04:25 PM
You have now:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/6/2/6/482626.jpg

Spudman
June 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Ewww. Bummer! I hate when they put the cord jack there. Otherwise it's cute.

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 06:27 AM
Okay, I have seen it in black and in white, I have played one and I can tell you from the start that you will have to deal with intonation problems. It's a good overall guitar for the price, but I would recommend a compensated nut, at least you will have to mod the guitar, otherwise the intonation will bother you everytime you pick it up. I was thinking about getting one, too. Here in Germany they offer them for super low prices, too.

Rocket
July 1st, 2009, 06:35 AM
Okay, I have seen it in black and in white, I have played one and I can tell you from the start that you will have to deal with intonation problems.
You'll need to finish the frets ends too... terribly sharp. The cheapness-of-manufacture of this "Gibson" is overwhelming. Seems to be made of leftovers and sub A-grade parts.

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 06:44 AM
You'll need to finish the frets ends too... terribly sharp. The cheapness-of-manufacture of this "Gibson" is overwhelming. Seems to be made of leftovers and sub A-grade parts.

That's what Gibson calls VOS ;)

the one I played had sharp frets, too, but hey the 1958 Warren Haynes Model I played had sharp frets, so it's like always said, your have to carefully test and play every Gibson, never order online.

Brian Krashpad
July 2nd, 2009, 08:20 AM
Okay, I have seen it in black and in white, I have played one and I can tell you from the start that you will have to deal with intonation problems. It's a good overall guitar for the price, but I would recommend a compensated nut, at least you will have to mod the guitar, otherwise the intonation will bother you everytime you pick it up.

I haven't played the MM's.

But my LP Studio DC has the same uncompensated smooth tailpiece style wrap bridge.

I know no one believes me, but it intonates fine.

Maybe Gibson wasn't as exacting with bridge placement with the cheaper MM's.

hubberjub
July 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
These are one of those hit or miss guitars. I've seen some that looked horrible but I played one a few weeks ago that was great. It had an amazingly resonant body and the frets were as good as any Gibson I've played (that's not meant as an insult). For $250 you can't go wrong. I see them used on Ebay going for $350-400.