PDA

View Full Version : Are you a plug and play person, or do you like fiddling?

Robert
June 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I like to just plug and play - set it and forget it. That means I spend time tweaking the tone to how I like it, and I trust me ears only when I do this, not my eyes. I leave eq flat and tweak it from there. With some pedals, I turn the tone knob down a bit, or I might find that two gain pedals sound best in a particular order, etc. So, I do tweak and fiddle, but once I find what works well, I set it and forget it. For me, fiddling fast is good, because then I don't get stuck in little details that won't matter anyway.

Some people like to constantly tweak their rig, spend hours on dialing knobs. Not me. I like changing pedals around and guitars and so on, but once I plug the whole rig in, I want to PLAY, not mess around. Once I got my trusted gear set up, I only fiddle when something's wrong, otherwise, let's rock'n roll! :rockon:

What kind of guitar slinger are you?

pes_laul
June 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I'm somewhere in between. I tend to always spend a lot of band practice dialing in the right tone but once I'm good we get things rolling.

MichaelE
June 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I don't gig any longer, but when I did I was playing the piano and synth. Playing guitar now and for the last 30 years I play along with a lot of music on the CD player and everyone's tone or sound is different.

I might fiddle with it a little to get the general idea, but I won't sit for hours trying to capture a particular player's tone when I have no idea what sort of equipment, let alone what guitar he's (or she) is playing.

I've really only worked on two like that, and it took awhile and is still not spot-on, but it's very close. I had to write down the settings of both the guitar(s) and amps to make sure I could reproduce it.

Most times I don't fool with it.

sunvalleylaw
June 30th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I guess I am plug and play, although it takes me a while to get there. I fiddle until I find a tone I like, and then I tend to leave it. That is true for most of the pedals on my board. In fact, I am sure I am leaving many tones on the table by not experimenting more. So I answered plug and play, because that is what I do, though I will continue to try and experiment more.

Spudman
June 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I'm certainly not anal about this at all but I do like to spend just a little time making sure the tone is acceptable. By that I really mean more that the sound is 'working" that it's really 'happening.' I like the guitar and amp to be in communication with each other and are working back and forth. I don't know if this makes any sense but I don't know how else to describe it.

After years playing I can usually tweak a tone or volume knob on the amp or pedal and get what I'm happy with pretty quickly. I would much rather play than tone hunt.

Algonquin
June 30th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I think I'm a 'set it, and forget it' (Ron Pepeil) kind of player. I like my pedals, but I don't tweak them that often, and I don't fiddle with the amp eq very much. I just like to play, and I think that how you attack the strings makes the biggest difference in tone... but I could be way off! :D

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
I've voted plug and play. Don't spend too much time tweaking. I set one sound and that's it.

Rocket
July 1st, 2009, 04:08 AM
Put me down for just "play", (should be an option)... I can even live with someone else doing the "plugging".

My (and only "my") observations:
I've had many ex-bandmates that were obsessed with micro-tweaking every minute nuance to conjure some phantom, (and unobtainable,) summum bonum nirvana of "tone".
Almost always played Strat-shaped headstocks and alway relegated to "ex" status in short time.
Although they consider themselves technicians they never seem to become satisfied with what they are doing "technically".
Artists love 'em, technicians hate 'em... go figure!

I could add volumes but would only serve the divisive demons.

Tig
July 1st, 2009, 08:53 AM
When I grow up, I'll be a plug-n-play guy, but for now, I'm more of a tweak geek, noodling and experimenting with everything to create the tones I'm looking for.

Owning a EVJ, I couldn't leave it as is. (who can/should?) Had to have a tone pot, and an attenuator panel in the back. I guess I'll always be a tweaker at some level, even though my goal is to set and forget.

EDIT:
A year of owning a Tweaker 15 means I should be fiddling with the amp quite a bit, but that's not usually the case. When I run the POD HD-500, I set the amp as neutral as it gets and forget it.
When I play just the amp, I'll set it to one of about 3 or 4 favorite settings and forget it until a song or style needs a different tone or approach.

M29
July 1st, 2009, 09:00 AM
I like to just set down and play. Up until now I mostly concentrated on what I was playing or trying to play. Now that I have a bit more experience I find I am exploring my amph and guitar controls more. Maybe because I am not paying as much attention to what I am learning. I do like to just grab the guitar and play though.

M

Monkus
July 1st, 2009, 09:16 AM
For me, tone inspires playing. For certain songs I would tweak for weeks and then set and forget. If writing, then sound is a major thing for me. I find something that inspires or makes a riff or chord progression show itself, that's when the magic starts. I don't know if I can have one without the other.

ibanezjunkie
July 1st, 2009, 03:39 PM
the settings on my GE-7 seem to change 5 or 6 times everytime i plug the pedalboard in.

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
Probably more a plug and play unless it's a new toy.

sumitomo
July 1st, 2009, 04:56 PM
When I think of plug and play my Supro is in my mind and I dig that little amph cause that's what it is plug and play.Guitar,amph no tone knob just vol all the way up the rest comes from the guitar,K.I.S.S. Sumi:D

TS808
July 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM
It depends...there are some nights I'll tweak the EQ on my amp and it sounds like heaven, then a few days later, that setting just doesn't sound right for some reason! I'll even switch amps on occasion for different tones.

R_of_G
July 1st, 2009, 08:18 PM
i've admitted it before and i will do so again right now...

my name is R_of_G, and i'm a tone junkie.

i could, and do, spend hours dialing in fun and interesting tones. i do make notes of these setting so times when i just want to play i can find the right tone quickly and get down to business, but i have plenty of nights where it's all about the search for tone.

jpfeifer
April 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
For me it depends on what I'm doing. There are certain pieces of my guitar rig that I just plug and play, and not mess with it, but other things I tend to tweak as I change styles, etc.

I tend to set-it-and-forget-it with my amp. But I am more of a tweaker with my guitar volume/tone controls and my effects. I like to turn various pedals on/off and use different settings on my guitar to capture different sounds. I hardly ever touch the controls on my effects other than tap-tempo and on/off, but I do like to have the right effects egaged for certain songs as I play. I'm probably not as anal about this as some players, but I do like to change up my sound as I play different styles. I don't like to use one sound for a whole gig.

--Jim

sunvalleylaw
April 9th, 2011, 10:16 PM
I like to just plug and play - set it and forget it. That means I spend time tweaking the tone to how I like it, and I trust me ears only when I do this, not my eyes. I leave eq flat and tweak it from there. With some pedals, I turn the tone knob down a bit, or I might find that two gain pedals sound best in a particular order, etc. So, I do tweak and fiddle, but once I find what works well, I set it and forget it. For me, fiddling fast is good, because then I don't get stuck in little details that won't matter anyway.

Some people like to constantly tweak their rig, spend hours on dialing knobs. Not me. I like changing pedals around and guitars and so on, but once I plug the whole rig in, I want to PLAY, not mess around. Once I got my trusted gear set up, I only fiddle when something's wrong, otherwise, let's rock'n roll! :rockon:

What kind of guitar slinger are you?

I am pretty much with you. I may adjust some here and there from my favorite settings, but generally find what I like and stick there. EDIT: oh, I already answered this. Well good to see my answer is still pretty much the same. ;-)

NWBasser
April 12th, 2011, 10:18 AM
For guitar, since I'm pretty much only a bedroom player, it's set and forget. I rarely mess with the EQ.

Bass is another matter though. It's not so much dialing in some magnificent tone, as it is finding a workable sound for the room and the band mix.

Boundary effects in different rooms plays hell with bass frequencies and I'll use the EQ to try to get rid of boominess or dead spots to whatever extent that I can.

From that point, then I try to get my tone to slot in well with the guitars and drums so that everyone is heard clearly.

I may also make subtle adjustments with the active EQ or pickup pan of the bass for different tunes.

Monkus
April 14th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I'm somewhere in between, I enjoy fiddling with the M9 to get close to THE tone to suit the song, but then i save and recall as needed. I really just want to play. In a studio setting though, I have to remind myself to leave it alone.

Brian Krashpad
May 4th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Plug and play, set and forget. Heck, my vintage '60's Sunn 200S has 3 pots only: volume, treble and bass. Plus there are 2 sliders (on/off) for bass and treble boost. Bass slider stays on, treble slider stays off. So really it only has 3 controls I ever use, vol, treble, and bass. While that's the most extreme example, all my amps are pretty simple and direct.

And ones that may have a lot more options, like my little Super Champ XD with all its amp models, I simply go through and find my fave setting and leave it there. So the clean channel is the default Blackface model, and the dirt channel is the Vox model. Once in a blue moon I might use something other than the Vox for the dirt channel, but I honestly can't remember the last time I did. Usually just use a bit of reverb for the "effects," with the very occasional time I might use delay instead.

I can't even remember the last time I used an effects pedal that was anything besides a dist/OD (with the Sunn head or Fender Super Reverb, don't need it with my SC XD or my Sovtek Tube Midget) or a volume pedal. And most often I don't use additional effect pedals at all.

Eric
May 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Huh -- guess I never posted in here.

Truthfully, it's both, but I fricking HATE spending practice time monkeying with settings. In my experience, I'm either dicking with EQ/effects/levels or playing, but usually not both.

It's fun to find a suitable tone, but I'll take 80% of the way there if it means I actually get to play.

That having been said, I might make an adjustment during a break, but I don't like to always be thinking about it. I just like stuff to work and do what I need it to do while I play the guitar.

deeaa
May 4th, 2011, 12:53 PM
In between...I practically never touch my amp settings, maybe once a year, and then turn it back to where it was anyway...

BUT whenever I get new gear, it sure is fun tweaking it.
I used to be a tweaker, but already years ago found just what I like, and now it's down to perhaps trying a different OD pedal for size, and rather like using different guitars for different uses.
Not that they're very different between themselves either, but still quite distinctly so.