PDA

View Full Version : Evel Knievel - who had this toy, too???

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 06:02 AM
I had an almost spleepless night, and around 3h in the night I turned on the tv, where I watched a documantation on Evel Knievel. All of a sudden I remembered my brother and I used to have this EK toy bike with ramp and stuff. These were great! It was something like the on in the video below. Any of you guys remember these?

eEUVm-Ja6lY

marnold
July 1st, 2009, 07:09 AM
I had one of those and the more rocket-shaped version too (I believe that's what he tried to jump the Snake River Canyon in). One Christmastime we had some friends of the family over and all six of us kids were playing together. We had the brilliant idea to use the oldest daughter in the other family as a ramp with her head on the ground and rear end in the air. As soon as Evel reached her head, the rear wheel wound her hair very tightly and randomly. I don't remember how they got her hair out or if Evel worked after that.

FrankenFretter
July 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM
I had that toy, and the Big Jim action figure. Anyone remember that one?

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 07:22 AM
I had that toy, and the Big Jim action figure. Anyone remember that one?

My son would say now "go away...make your own Big Jim thread!"

Anyways, who doesn't remember Big Jim?!?!

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
As soon as Evel reached her head, the rear wheel wound her hair very tightly and randomly. I don't remember how they got her hair out or if Evel worked after that.

Holy, yes that happened to my brother, too and my mom had to cut his hair! How could I forget? Thanks Marnold!

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
I had one of those and the more rocket-shaped version too (I believe that's what he tried to jump the Snake River Canyon in). One Christmastime we had some friends of the family over and all six of us kids were playing together. We had the brilliant idea to use the oldest daughter in the other family as a ramp with her head on the ground and rear end in the air. As soon as Evel reached her head, the rear wheel wound her hair very tightly and randomly. I don't remember how they got her hair out or if Evel worked after that.
I never had one, but a friend at my Catholic grade school did, and I remember lining ourselves up on the floor on rainy days to for the toy to jump. This was the traditional version. I did have those things with the one wheel and the pull strip (SST's?).

It is funny now that we live somewhat near the Snake River Canyon. I have gone down and seen the site, and remember watching intently that whole scene back at the time.

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 07:37 AM
I did have those things with the one wheel and the pull strip (SST's?).

Where these a red and a blue car? We had those, too. My dad used to bring a lot of stuff with him from his USA trips.

Spudman
July 1st, 2009, 08:06 AM
I didn't have the EK toy . Instead my folks got me the Major Matt Mason toy with a lot of the swag that went with it. Tom Hanks is going to be playing MMM in an upcoming movie too.
http://scifiwire.com/assets_c/2009/03/MajorMattMason-thumb-300x393-15277.jpg
http://www.buyoldtoys.com/forsale/mmm/images/P9030047_JPG.jpg
http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/SpaceCrawler.jpg

sumitomo
July 1st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Never had that toy,but we were always building jumps for our pedal bikes and jumping things like curbs,people and cars.Then later our motorcycles and jumping people cars,the neighbors never liked us jumping their cars.Sumi:D

Tig
July 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM
Yep, I had one. He had the white jumpsuit and helmet. We'd try to recreate his crashes with little wood ramps or down stairs.

Evil was a hero since I was riding motorcycles before bicycles as a kid. The whole family had dirt bikes back in the early to mid 70's.

http://mondopopculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/70s-evel-ad.jpg

Do you remember the movie about him staring George Hamilton?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ynpXE4BgpGE/SIeCFY68vJI/AAAAAAAAC9w/cJiUa2Nuv7I/s400/o_evel_knievel.jpg

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
dB_TIOY1Jrs

These are the SSP (not SST) cars. They had lots of models. They were tough, and dang cool! :AOK: :AOK:

Tig
July 1st, 2009, 10:40 AM
These are the SSP (not SST) cars. They had lots of models. They were tough, and dang cool! :AOK: :AOK:

Yep, I had those, too. They took a lot of abuse!
I remember this one...

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/transportation/images/Kenner%20SSP%20Page/ssp-mirrorgreen.JPG

pes_laul
July 1st, 2009, 10:11 PM
man I wish I had toys that cool...

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2009, 10:46 PM
man I wish I had toys that cool...

Yeah sorry man, you missed a lot of the cool ones. By your time, seems like folks thought toys had be be electronic and computerized, gameboys etc. to be any good. Stuff like these were fun! I had the Ram Jet one of the SSPs.

t_ross33
July 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Had Evel, had the SSP cars, and my cousin had this:

jE6J3wWE2Pg&feature=PlayList&p=753EAE602CF4E871&index=0

Too cool

Kazz
July 2nd, 2009, 04:24 AM

I will apologize in advance Rev :rotflmao:

Evel always had a way with messing up the girls' hair :rotflmao:

I had both the Evel bike and the SSP cars....I also had a Stretch Armstrong...but I have no idea what a "Big Jim" is.

MichaelE
July 2nd, 2009, 05:16 AM
I had several of the SSP cars. Used to piss off my friends mom when we'd run them down the long tiled hallway at his house. They left some pretty good burnout marks on the tile.

Man does that ever take me back. I must have been around seven or eight when I had those.

Algonquin
July 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
I'm pretty sure I had the Evil wind up cycle like the one in the video Jimi, but I don't think I had that ramp and ring of fire to jump through. The SSP cars were cool too, and a friend was lucky enough to have the Smash Up Derby set. There were some pretty cool toys back then weren't there :AOK:

Tig
July 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I didn't have the EK toy . Instead my folks got me the Major Matt Mason toy with a lot of the swag that went with it. Tom Hanks is going to be playing MMM in an upcoming movie too.
http://www.buyoldtoys.com/forsale/mmm/images/P9030047_JPG.jpg
http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/SpaceCrawler.jpg

Cool! We had Major Matt Mason, well, my older brother did. I inherited them later, but the wires inside the arms broke by then.

I did get a white glider for them one Christmas. It was shaped a little like the shuttle, but years before they designed it.
Hmmmmmm, did NASA rip off Mattel?

Carp, a MMM movie? Ut-oh.

Childbride
July 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I had an almost spleepless night, and around 3h in the night I turned on the tv, where I watched a documantation on Evel Knievel. All of a sudden I remembered my brother and I used to have this EK toy bike with ramp and stuff. These were great! It was something like the on in the video below. Any of you guys remember these?

eEUVm-Ja6lY

i didn't, but a friend did. we used to make that sucker jump all kinds of stuff. man, that takes me back... :D

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I had an Elvis toy. Didn't come with a motorcycle, but it had the same jump suit.

Childbride
July 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
and before anyone asks me if i had a barbie...

yes. one. the winter olympics version in [1975? whenever i was in the first grade]

gave the little gold medal away, fed the barbie to the neighbor's dog, then ran matchbox cars off that ski ramp so hard i was putting divots in the drywall in the bedroom.

no more barbies. :D

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
I was a Hot Wheels guy myself. ;) But I would have raced your matchbook cars. :AOK:

Tig
July 3rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
Had Evel, had the SSP cars, and my cousin had this:
Too cool

I remember that commercial, or more accurately, the song.
I'm cursed/blessed with a loooong memory for music. You name the cartoon or commercial, and it's still stuck in my head!