PDA

View Full Version : Need your input! Logo contest for the Fret?

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 10:35 AM
Ok guys, here is the idea. There is a designer contest website called 99 Designs that has really good designers on it. We can get a really good logo for the Fret. I expect the total cost to be around $400.

There will probably be dozens of submissions by designers, and I will post the best ones on here for you guys to look at. I will then make a poll of the 10 or so best designs, and we all vote, so our forum members democratically pick the logo!

Any of our members who would like to design a logo too, can simply submit their design in the contest, once it is up and running.

In order to set this up, I would hope we can chip in 10-20 bucks and get enough members contributing to cover this expense.

Are you interested? Do what you can to help cover these costs.

If this works out well, the next idea I have is to get TheFret.Net T-shirts made up with the new awesome logo! :dude: How cool wouldn't that be? We can of course also get picks, hats, straps, etc made up with our logo.

If you prefer to send a regular check or money order, here is our address:

Vital Effect
#3050 Gemini Centre
6708-48th Ave.
Camrose, Alberta T4V 4S3
Canada

You can also use this link https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6531278 or click the PayPal button at the top of the page.

Thanks everyone! :bravo:

So far, we have received contributions from:

robert
hubberjub
sumitomo
amphead
the1percent
southsidetele
ibanezjunkie
jimi75
evenkeel
kiteman
luvmyshiner
childbride
just strum
hardass blues
Rocket
Rockette
SciHi
unknown
piebaldpython
sunvalleylaw
Algonquin
snarph

$400 has been reached! Thanks a lot to you who contributed! :bravo:

Jimi75
July 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Robert,

Count me in for the 10-15 bucks (I'll see how this here develops and after my two week holiday in Austria I will transfer the bucks). I'll support your idea. I like the "old" logo, but fresh blood is always good. By the way, don't we have some talented poeple here on the Fret. Maybe we should also see their input and let the winner chose one of three nice pedals, like a Clyde Wah for e.g.

Spudman
July 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
So you'll need around 30-40 of us to contribute. That's not a lot. Maybe the ones that contribute $20 or more could receive a better price on their first t shirt?

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 11:11 AM
Good idea, Spud! That is possible, but I guess we will have to see much the T-shirts will cost and if we get enough member $$ in to cover the cost of the contest.

marnold
July 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
And, of course, Shiner will want an official Fret.Net thong.

Spudman
July 1st, 2009, 12:04 PM

Obviously, and one of these as well.
http://www.rustichome.com/images/farmall_M_pedal_tractor.jpg

M29
July 1st, 2009, 12:07 PM
A thong.....Oh My:eek:

I can sling some cash to the north. Not at the moment but soon.:D

M29

duhvoodooman
July 1st, 2009, 12:18 PM
Call me a wet blanket, but I wish you luck, Robert. If you recall our FretNet Forum Community Raffle last holiday season, we could only get 17 people to participate, and that was for a chance at a cash prize and with a portion of the proceeds going to an extremely worthy cause--St. Jude's Children's Hospital. I was surprised and disappointed by how poor the participation was. I hope I'll turn out to be wrong, but I think you'll be hard pressed to get 30 or 40 Fretters to kick in....

Rocket
July 1st, 2009, 01:25 PM
I'll pony-up a raffle guitar to boost participation if anyone wants to host the raffle... I have no interest in the logistics of raffling but I would insist that it be on the up & up and fair to everyone.
I'd guess that most members would kick in at least a "Hamilton", (maybe a "Jackson",) to get an even shot at a pristine guitar. Raffle winner or Fret.net would have to cover the shipping tho especially if it leaves CONUS. If it happens to remain in Florida, I'll hand deliver it.

sumitomo
July 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
Let's see I've answered so car questions here before so I'm in for 20.So Robert can shoot me an e-mail and tell me how to send this.Sumi:D

Kazz
July 1st, 2009, 04:03 PM
I would be more inclined to go Rocket's direction...donating money just to be donating is not really high on my priority list at the moment...but even the slightest chance to win a guitar and well then the priority becomes a bit higher.

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Okay, to clarify - I am asking if our members would be willing to help pay for a new, classy logo for thefret.net, which can later be used for T-shirts, picks, you name it. We need 40 people to chip in 10 bucks each. There is no charity - just helping our forum to promote itself by getting a classy logo.

If Rocket wants to give away a guitar and that makes people more willing to support this cause, great. Huge thanks goes out to Rocket if that is what he is suggesting.

If there is enough interest, we can do this. If not, well then there you go. We just won't have a good logo for our little home on the 'Net. :cry:

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
Obviously, and one of these as well.
http://www.rustichome.com/images/farmall_M_pedal_tractor.jpg

You and Marnold should be penalized for even going there!!!

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
I'm in for at least a Hamilton and Lincoln

Have to mail - no paypal.

Robert, if there is no address change, I have the address.

Childbride
July 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'll pony-up a raffle guitar to boost participation if anyone wants to host the raffle... I have no interest in the logistics of raffling but I would insist that it be on the up & up and fair to everyone.
I'd guess that most members would kick in at least a "Hamilton", (maybe a "Jackson",) to get an even shot at a pristine guitar. Raffle winner or Fret.net would have to cover the shipping tho especially if it leaves CONUS. If it happens to remain in Florida, I'll hand deliver it.

a shot at one of Rocket's guitars? knowing [owning 2] how well he takes care of them? i'm in, dudes. but Robert, you'll have to pm me an addy. no paypal, senor.

luvmyshiner
July 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM

No way dude. Last time I wore one of those I got it on backwards. Who knew there was a front and a back to those things?:eek:

P.S. count me in.

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 05:17 PM
No way dude. Last time I wore one of those I got it on backwards. Who knew there was a front and a back to those things?:eek:

P.S. count me in.

Marnold and Spud - I warned ya.

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
You can send all your hard earned cash to:

Vital Effect
#3050 Gemini Centre
6708-48th Ave.
Camrose, Alberta T4V 4S3
Canada

(throw in some guitars and amps too.)

Childbride
July 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
for the record, i didn't get into the prior one b/c the timing wasn't right with monies going to gram, and i support/raffle for charities here at home... my plate was full. i apologize for any hurt feelings about that.

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 06:29 PM

How many more can I possibly send you???

just strum
July 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
So is this a "go" or is it still in the discussion phase?

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM
Send me more guitars and amps anyway, I end up smashing a lot of them and setting them on fire, so I run out.

I think we are in the discussion phase still. I will send out a message to all members on the forum, asking them for the feedback. If we get enough "promises" to support this, we can go ahead. Remember, you guys will together decide the final choice for the logo.

hubberjub
July 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
Done.

Childbride
July 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM
i need a new tshirt. i think it should be a go. :D

no thongs for shiner. :thwap:

sunvalleylaw
July 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
i need a new tshirt. i think it should be a go. :D

no thongs for shiner. :thwap:

Have you convinced him to move on to "boy shorts"? ;) :rotflmao:

Sounds good to me (the logo contest/tshirt thing, not the boy shorts:thwap: ), and I participated in the last raffle, and if there is another, I would do it again.

Monkus
July 2nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
I'm in. How can I send by credit card without paypal?

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
....but I would insist that it be on the up & up and fair to everyone.
Oh, crap! There goes our plan for a totally rigged sham! ;)

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Oh, crap! There goes our plan for a totally rigged sham!
Shams happen.
Might start looking curious to forum membership if Admin (or Mods) won ALL the raffles... may be a reasonable cause for low rate of participation.
BTW, who won the last raffle & who picked the winner?

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Hubberjub first one, thanks muchly, hubster!

You can use any major Credit Card at PayPal. There is a link to the left of the PayPal login, for those who don't have a PayPal account. It says:

"Don't have a PayPal account?
Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue (http://www.paypal.com)"

Click on Continue, after you have entered the amount at the top of the screen.

Click this link to make a contribution towards the logo.
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=6531278

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
Did someone say Sham?
http://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/shamwow-vince-punches-hooker.jpg

Rocket
The last winner and any future winners are picked by a random number generator. The contestants are given numbers to replace their names and only one person knows who is what number. That person is exempt from the contest.

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Did someone say Sham?
Wow!

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Rocket
The last winner and any future winners are picked by a random number generator. The contestants are given numbers to replace their names and only one person knows who is what number. That person is exempt from the contest.
Well, that's one way to not answer the questions that were not asked of you.
My only motive is fairness to all... let's not thrash me too much for that singular honorable quality.

duhvoodooman
July 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
BTW, who won the last raffle & who picked the winner?
Well, I think this constitutes an answer to a question that was asked of me:

It's all described in detail here:

http://www.duhvoodooman.com/FN_Raffle.htm

I can assure you that it was all on the "up & up". If you choose not to accept that assurance, that's your business....

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
I can assure you that it was all on the "up & up". If you choose not to accept that assurance, that's your business....
I believe you, but the previous raffle is not my business as my dog wasn't in that particular hunt.
When members toss their own personal resources into the collective pot, it's THEIR collective business... and THAT warrants reassurance.
I could be wrong... it's happened before.

sumitomo
July 2nd, 2009, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=Spudman]Did someone say Sham?
http://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/shamwow-vince-punches-hooker.jpg

Hey someone told me this Sham guy is Vanna White's husband? Sumi:D

ibanezjunkie
July 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
i dunno if i can contribute, since im in the UK.

ill try.

ibanezjunkie
July 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
sent you guys $10 for good luck :AOK:

:)

Monkus
July 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Does he look like a T-rex or is it just me ??? $ is on the way.

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Has to be a bird hipped dino of some kind. Maybe velociraptor?

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
If you prefer to send a regular check or money order, here is our address:

Vital Effect
#3050 Gemini Centre
6708-48th Ave.
Camrose, Alberta T4V 4S3
Canada

I have some Canadian cash I need to get rid of and was wondering if you open the envelopes or is someone else opening the mail? The cash is left over from my trips to Georgetown that I use to make last year.

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=Spudman]Did someone say Sham?

If you watched the NBA playoffs, one might think this guy played for Denver.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/62048_Nuggets_Birdman_Basketball.jpg

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I have some Canadian cash I need to get rid of and was wondering if you open the envelopes or is someone else opening the mail? The cash is left over from my trips to Georgetown that I use to make last year.

Yep, I open the envelope if you direct it to me. Why, are you going to put in one of those pop out clowns to give me a scare?

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Yep, I open the envelope if you direct it to me. Why, are you going to put in one of those pop out clowns to give me a scare?

It's obvious that at least some of the guitars and amps I've sent haven't found there way.

Or it could be the Idaho address SVL and Spud told me to use to avoid customs.

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I'm in for at least a Hamilton and Lincoln

Have to mail - no paypal.

Robert, if there is no address change, I have the address.

Correction: I'm in for a Sir John A. Macdonald and a check for $5

syo
July 2nd, 2009, 07:21 PM
Robert, perhaps this isn't the contribution you would like me to make but I wonder why (as I think was previously mentioned) you don't ask the fretters for submissions? You might actually find at least some direction for the process.

Frankly, in my world, $400 for people to do work on "spec" doesn't guarantee you will get something you are happy with. I have worked with design houses that were paid US$30,000 and $50,000 to come up with identities that no one liked and were never used.

Just to let you know my background: 25+ years as a professional artist, designer, art director, creative director for mostly large entertainment companies. I looked over the 99 design site. Some good work, some repurposed (borrowed) ideas, some not so good.

Who knows though, it might be money well spent. But I wonder what a homegrown attempt might look like. Who knows, maybe there are some talented people here. With the added (very important) benefit that they already understand what this community is about.

my 3 cents.

-syo

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
Maybe we could offer you something? How about a free guitar from Rocket in exchange for a logo?

Robert, perhaps this isn't the contribution you would like me to make but I wonder why (as I think was previously mentioned) you don't ask the fretters for submissions? You might actually find at least some direction for the process.

Frankly, in my world, $400 for people to do work on "spec" doesn't guarantee you will get something you are happy with. I have worked with design houses that were paid US$30,000 and $50,000 to come up with identities that no one liked and were never used.

Just to let you know my background: 25+ years as a professional artist, designer, art director, creative director for mostly large entertainment companies. I looked over the 99 design site. Some good work, some repurposed (borrowed) ideas, some not so good.

Who knows though, it might be money well spent. But I wonder what a homegrown attempt might look like. Who knows, maybe there are some talented people here. With the added (very important) benefit that they already understand what this community is about.

my 3 cents.

-syo

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
or

People here submit there ideas, they are displayed without noting the designer and the forum votes. The winner gets the money (or some portion), the guitar is still used to entice entries.

Not completely detailed on how it would work, but you get the idea.

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe we could offer you something? How about a free guitar from Rocket in exchange for a logo?
Very generous (with other people's stuff.)

I thought I might offer up something nice that might benefit a forum project and seem to be garnering undue ridicule & flippant friction from some... did my offer offend in some way that I'm unaware of? I'm sure, in your case, it's some remainder of a past personality grudge you hold toward me but why sabotage the rest of the membership to satisfy that? Why not just let it go?
I'll chalk it up to one more lesson learned about Fret.net Mods!
Any future generosity will be done strictly anonymous per PM with Robert to avoid these little schoolyard power-plays.

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I'll pony-up a raffle guitar to boost participation if anyone wants to host the raffle...

What's the misunderstanding? You offered.

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Okay, moving right along. My money will be in the mail tomorrow.

Let's make it good for all involved.

Those interested in a new logo, send in your contribution.

Let the author of the thread make the decisions on how he wants it done.

Not taking sides, just want this to move forward.

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Syo, once we start the contest, you and any other designers we might have on this forum are welcome to submit as many entries you want.

Sounds fair?

Strummy, thanks, I will look for that old dude from MacDonalds in the mail. :)

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM
What's the misunderstanding? You offered.
I offered it to boost maximum membership interest into participating as a group in a forum project, not for Mods to take it upon themselves to offer as payment for design service.
Do you really NOT see the difference between attempting to bring a group together and merely acting selfish? ("The many vs. the one" concept.)
No wonder forum projects never get much support... to many obstacles, (and cooks!)
I watched a forum totally disintegrate over a seeming harmless project of getting together for a group jam... by the time it actually happened, 5 people showed up, money was lost, and forum has never recovered.

syo
July 2nd, 2009, 08:24 PM

I don't really need money or a guitar (did I just say that?!:thwap: ), just time.
I would be interested to know Robert, what is your brief for the logo? What do you want to communicate? Do you foresee usage beyond the site header and T-shirts?

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Syo, if you win, you can do what you want with the money - if you won't take the money, we keep track of who donated what amount, and this could then be used towards T-shirts and similar for those who donated.

I want to communicate what this place is about. Guitars, fun, friendship, sharing, music, passion.

Initially, I hoped this place could also become a good place for bass players to hang out on. Didn't seem to happen - very few bass players around here. So with that in mind, if we end up having an actual guitar in the logo (or part of a guitar showing 6 strings) should we have a bass guitar featured in the design too then?

I foresee getting picks made up with the logo on it. What else, maybe guitar straps? Stickers? Amp covers? Baseball caps? Who knows - if our members are interested in these things and we can get good deals (maybe bulk deals if enough members are interested), then let's run with it.

Hey, please give me feedback on what you think the logo should communicate! Any ideas you may have are valuable. It is not me who will decide on the logo in the end, it's you guys, together.

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 08:42 PM
Initially, I hoped this place could also become a good place for bass players to hang out on. Didn't seem to happen -

Hey, we do have a good bike thing starting to go here: TheFret - home of guitars, gear, and gears.

I foresee getting picks made up with the logo on it.

Now you are talking - I would never argue over picks!!! (newer members wouldn't understand)

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 08:48 PM
Now you are talking - I would never argue over picks!!! (newer members wouldn't understand)

Well, I'll try my best to keep them under $4.00 each!!! :eek: :D

Childbride
July 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Syo, if you win, you can do what you want with the money - if you won't take the money, we keep track of who donated what amount, and this could then be used towards T-shirts and similar for those who donated.

I want to communicate what this place is about. Guitars, fun, friendship, sharing, music, passion.

Initially, I hoped this place could also become a good place for bass players to hang out on. Didn't seem to happen - very few bass players around here. So with that in mind, if we end up having an actual guitar in the logo (or part of a guitar showing 6 strings) should we have a bass guitar featured in the design too then?

I foresee getting picks made up with the logo on it. What else, maybe guitar straps? Stickers? Amp covers? Baseball caps? Who knows - if our members are interested in these things and we can get good deals (maybe bulk deals if enough members are interested), then let's run with it.

Hey, please give me feedback on what you think the logo should communicate! Any ideas you may have are valuable. It is not me who will decide on the logo in the end, it's you guys, together.

no speedos, thongs, boy shorts, tractors, or snow blowers.

sorry, but must cite the obvious. Shiner needs no encouragement, and i know him well enough to know that he would model for all of you.

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Point take, CB - those items will NOT end up in the logo! Eeeeew!
By the way, no tuning pegs up the nose either.

stingx

my 3 cents.

-syo

THIS!!!

I participate on many sites and no one had a "professional" logo made. The majority were done by a fellow forumite. Yours truly did two sites himself. This should have been entertained first, IMHO.

Rocket
No running!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/17904a4d7559b0877.jpg

luvmyshiner
July 2nd, 2009, 09:07 PM
Seriously Robert . . . how much will the thongs cost?

Shiner family monies will be on the way this weekend.

Algonquin
July 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM

:bravo: I love it!

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 09:13 PM
http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/classical-guitar-thong/261649330

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM

Sorry Shiner, CB will hunt me down and make me suffer if I go along with that.... :D

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM
Rocket, that is a pretty accurate picture, I didn't see you sneak up the track when I was doing that workout! :) That looks the right logo though, so I guess we don't need to worry about the logo any longer, it's pretty much decided then? :D

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
I offered it to boost maximum membership interest into participating as a group in a forum project, not for Mods to take it upon themselves to offer as payment for design service.
Do you really NOT see the difference between attempting to bring a group together and merely acting selfish? ("The many vs. the one" concept.)
No wonder forum projects never get much support... to many obstacles, (and cooks!)
I watched a forum totally disintegrate over a seeming harmless project of getting together for a group jam... by the time it actually happened, 5 people showed up, money was lost, and forum has never recovered.

Thank you for caring about the forum. That's a rare thing. A lot of people just want to do their thing without really contributing. Mucho appreciated.:beer:

I'll offer to take any pressure off of you then. I think I probably have a guitar that I could put up for the event.:)

syo
July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM

Actually Rocket, I thought that your offer was quite generous. That was one of things that spurred me to respond. I do think that the group is very much coming together over this judging from all of the responses. I thought that Spuds' comment was nothing more than enthusiam and "thinking out loud". I never thought he was trying to take advantage of your kindness.

Vive le logo!:AOK:

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 04:14 AM
I'll offer to take any pressure off of you then. I think I probably have a guitar that I could put up for the event.:)
Suit yourself... I tried.

tot_Ou_tard
July 3rd, 2009, 05:57 AM
Shams happen.
Might start looking curious to forum membership if Admin (or Mods) won ALL the raffles... may be a reasonable cause for low rate of participation.
BTW, who won the last raffle & who picked the winner? That raffle was on the up & up. I'm the one who suggested how the raffle would be run & all the participants agreed. All the entrants agreed that Robert could join. So he won. There weren't that many entrants. It doesn't seem strange to me that he won.

On the other hand, it was too much hassle and less fun than I had hoped to run the thing. Poor Vood had to lift the bulk of the load.

As to the logo, I do think it would be nice to see what some of the locals could come up with.

kiteman
July 3rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
I'm in because I like this board. Lot cooler folks here than the other boards I've been to.

Let the fun begin. :)

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
unless your wondering

jaklawrence@ntlworld.com is my home email address, its what my paypal account it registered to =]

you should get $10 from it.

hubberjub
July 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I think I probably have a guitar that I could put up for the event.:)

I'll double my contribution if you put up the Luke. Sounds good, right? I'm sure Rocket was donating that G&L.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
I'm sure Rocket was donating that G&L.
Close... more like S&X. Fairly new and barely touched.

http://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/gg1sc2ts1.jpghttp://www.rondomusic.net/photos/electric/gg1sc2ts3.jpg

kiteman
July 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
Like a melody maker. Kewl!

Spudman
July 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
Suit yourself... I tried.
I was trying to be nice and take the burden off you because you didn't seem comfortable after you volunteered the guitar. But if it is going to upset you to not donate then by all means you are on. I think the SX would make a fine prize.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Like a melody maker. Kewl!
Actually, more look, feel, and sound like LP Junior.

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Envelope is sealed and will be mailed when I go out to the music store in an hour or so.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
I was trying to be nice and take the burden off you because you didn't seem comfortable after you volunteered the guitar.
Go for it hero!

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
i dunno how long its going to take for the money to get to you over in canada, Robert, but my guess would be about 3 days ish.

woot im number 7=]

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
Vital Effect
#3050 Gemini Centre
6708-48th Ave.
Camrose, Alberta T4V 4S3
Canada

Before I unseal the envelope to make correction

Is the check to be made out to Vital Effect, Robert Renman, or Robert "The Vein" Renman?

Robert
July 3rd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Strum, either would work fine - but put my name on it just so I can afford to eat on that day. :)

Spudman
July 3rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Go for it hero!
Me thinks you weren't really sincere with your offer.

luvmyshiner
July 3rd, 2009, 10:19 AM

Gotta disagree with you on that one Spudman. This isn't the first time I've seen Rocket donate guitars or other items of value to a good cause, or just to have a little forum fun. If Rocket says he was going to donate a guitar, he was going to donate a guitar.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
Sincere? Of the two of us, I'll wager I've given away more guitars/guitar related gear. Ask Strum what I've given just since he's known me.
Wanna do a sincerity-check mate? Here's the deal... if you don't/won't pony-up, my offer still stands.
Your move...

Edit: I'll go ya one better: You pony-up an electric, I'll donate an acoustic... you pony-up an acoustic, I'll donate an electric (...anybody else want in on this?)
Here's my ante:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/17904a4e33a030c04.jpg

Still your move...

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM
I don't really know either one of you, but I do know strong personalities, and both of you have them.

Hopefully this little riff will end up being positive for the forum and everyone will benefit.

My money is in the mail, I am looking to this settling down and if guitars are given away, it be done in a way that everyone agrees with. If not, let's just drop it because it's becoming the lead story.

You both can send me the guitars and everyone will be happy. Well okay, I will be happy, but isn't that what's really important?

Seriously, I think anyone that wants to help the whole event should be highly commended and if a little competition adds to it, all the better. Don't let it get into a public display of embarrassment.

FWIW, my avatar is a Rocket guitar, and there are others out there.

For more about guitars - I will be posting in the Other Brands section shortly.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 03:37 PM
lets just say, for $400 we better get a pretty awesome logo :rotflmao:

you can get a B-52 tube combo for that.

Hardass blues
July 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Clipped ya 15 bucks via paypal. Good luck and, I'd get a shirt or two if you make 'em. This is a very good site you have and I am proud to be a member. John Henry

luvmyshiner
July 3rd, 2009, 08:17 PM
Hey Hardass, where ya' been brother. We been missin' you around here. Hope everything is going well.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 06:18 AM
"Hey Hardass" <- now that's funny. :)

Hardass blues
July 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Hey Hardass, where ya' been brother. We been missin' you around here. Hope everything is going well.
Yeah work picked up been actually hittin' some o.t. Got a deal on a Fender tele deluxe in dark wood I couldn't pass up. Wide range pickups have a great tone. Did you guys notice that Fender has raised it's prices this year. Kind of a drag. I found the tele on craigs list. :rockon:Also found a guy in town that opened up a small music shop and he's feeding my addiction on a regular basis. HAHAHAH! Good to hear from ya. Later,J.H.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Yeah work picked up been actually hittin' some o.t. Got a deal on a Fender tele deluxe in dark wood I couldn't pass up. Wide range pickups have a great tone. Did you guys notice that Fender has raised it's prices this year. Kind of a drag. I found the tele on craigs list. :rockon:Also found a guy in town that opened up a small music shop and he's feeding my addiction on a regular basis. HAHAHAH! Good to hear from ya. Later,J.H.

Got a pic? That sounds sweet.

FrankRizzo
July 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
You can send all your hard earned cash to:

Vital Effect
#3050 Gemini Centre
6708-48th Ave.
Camrose, Alberta T4V 4S3
Canada

This has got the be the dumbest idea Ive ever heard of, $400 for a logo?
Every forum I have even been involved with has had somebody from the forum create the logo. We come from all walks of life, so certainly somebody, whos already a member, is into graffic design.
Is a logo for this forum really worth $400???
Seriously

Whats next?
$200 for emoticons?
$1000 for a new boarder color?

Suckers :AOK:

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
This has got the be the dumbest idea Ive ever heard of, $400 for a logo?
Every forum I have even been involved with has had somebody from the forum create the logo. We come from all walks of life, so certainly somebody, whos already a member, is into graffic design.
Is a logo for this forum really worth $400???
Seriously

Whats next?
$200 for emoticons?
$1000 for a new boarder color?

Suckers :AOK:

Wow nice guy! Let's see, first post, doesn't introduce himself, signs up for the sole purpose of bashing an idea that all the regular members of the forum are rooting for.

Hmmm, Robert, did you piss off some loser on another forum?:rotflmao:

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
It might mean a whole new facelift for the forum.

Facelifts ain't cheap. :rotflmao:

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Wow nice guy! Let's see, first post, doesn't introduce himself, signs up for the sole purpose of bashing an idea that all the regular members of the forum are rooting for.

Yep, sure fooled me. Just stumbled on the site to post that message. So will the real FR please stand up.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Yep, sure fooled me. Just stumbled on the site to post that message. So will the real FR please stand up.

Floyd Rose? :rotflmao:

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Hey, I kinda like the "$200 for emoticons" idea... make it retroactive too!

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM

:rotflmao: :bravo: :beer: :master: :D

Oh crap! Now I owe Robert like . . . 50 gazillion dollars!:eek:

Hey Robert, you want that in Canadian or US?

FrankRizzo
July 4th, 2009, 09:41 AM

This is really just that stupid that its worth all that.
This is just rediculous. :thwap:

BTW, I joined last year.
I just recieved the email asking for my "donation" :whatever:
For a logo! :rotflmao:

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:44 AM
So far, we have received contributions from:

robert
hubberjub
sumitomo
amphead
the1percent
southsidetele
ibanezjunkie
jimi75
evenkeel
kiteman
luvmyshiner
childbride
hardass blues
Rocket
{unknown}

Robert, #15 {unknown} is Rockette.

FrankRizzo
July 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM

How bout $100 to change the forum background to blue?
It would be much more pleasant on the eyes, we could spend all day here if it was.:thwap:

Or maybe now that youve almost paid the $400 for the logo, maybe you could all line up for $40 T-shirt? After all its going to a good cause.

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
This is really just that stupid that its worth all that.
This is just rediculous. :thwap:

BTW, I joined last year.
I just recieved the email asking for my "donation" :whatever:
For a logo! :rotflmao:
That'll be $600 for the emoticons... will that be cash or check?
(BTW... spellchecker use is free.)

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:54 AM
How bout $100 to change the forum background to blue?
It would be much more pleasant on the eyes, we could spend all day here if it was.:thwap:

Or maybe now that youve almost paid the $400 for the logo, maybe you could all line up for $40 T-shirt? After all its going to a good cause.
I'm honored to fully support both your anger the free speech it takes to share it with the world on this 4th of July... Kiss me!

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Or maybe now that youve almost paid the $400 for the logo, maybe you could all line up for $40 T-shirt? After all its going to a good cause..

Uh dude, the thongs are going to cost $40, the T-shirts will only be $35. Geez, do we have to teach these newbie wanna be's everything????:thwap:

Oops, there's another $200.:thwap: I mean $400.:thwap: I mean $600.:thwap:

Man at this rate I won't be able to afford the thong.

FrankRizzo
July 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That'll be $600 for the emoticons... will that be cash or check?
(BTW... spellchecker use is free.)

I cant spell and Im the dumb one?

To pay for a logo for the forum, is like Robert rallying money to pay for legal advice for the forum.

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM

To pay for a logo for the forum, is like Robert rallying money to pay for legal advice for the forum.

Sorry Frank, I don't think we meant to imply that you were dumb. Just rude.:AOK:

As for the legal advice, we've got enough lawyers on the forum that Robert doesn't have to pay for that.:poke:

(oh crap, there's another $400)

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I never called you dumb. I wouldn't...
...besides, there's a difference between dumb and illiterate... one is a choice!

pes_laul
July 4th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Can we just stop some of the disrespect and get back on topic?

BTW I would make a donation but I'm not authorized to do that until I'm of proper age.

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I would make a donation but I'm not authorized to do that until I'm of proper age.
Wow! Same here.

duhvoodooman
July 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Can we just stop some of the disrespect and get back on topic?
Now there's a bit of wisdom from a mere youth! Thanks for an on-target comment, Pes.

Please keep it on topic, gents, and let's stay away from the personal jabs....thanks.

luvmyshiner
July 4th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry guys, didn't mean to offend anyone. I guess I'm just a simple man with simple views. If Mr. Rizzo feels the idea lacks merit, he doesn't have to contribute. If he doesn't like receiving the emails, I'm sure Robert can remove him from the list.

But for someone who has never posted a contribution to this forum to post for no reason other than to tell us we're supporting the "dumbest idea" he's ever heard of, is not only disrespectful, it's rude and trollish.

But I'll play nice now, ummm-kay?:)

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 11:36 AM
id say a few things, but Pes, Shiner and Rocket have beaten me to them.

btw, its a competition, $400 is the prize for the winner who creates the winning logo, right?

just making sure Rizzo and myself understood that.

Robert
July 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Ibanezjunkie, that is correct.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Like I said before, let the fun begin. :beer:

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
just had a look at the 99Designs website

some good stuff/logos crop up on there.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
just had a look at the 99Designs website

some good stuff/logos crop up on there.

Man, that's a busy place. Going to be interesting. :AOK:

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 12:59 PM
the $400 prize is bigger than alot of what i looked at, should mean we get more and better designs when the comp goes active.

kiteman
July 4th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Yep, it will attract better designers. Money talks. :)

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM
now all we need is 10 more people to donate $10 each and we can get this thing rolling.

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Just an FYI: Just realized that due to the holiday, mine will take a day or two longer to get to you. I would think by Thursday or Friday it should arrive.

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM
does anyone know if paypal is just as fast overseas as it is within your own country?

im pretty sure my donation is in Canada by now anyway.

SciHi
July 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
does anyone know if paypal is just as fast overseas as it is within your own country?

im pretty sure my donation is in Canada by now anyway.

I don't know but I just paypal'd $20 from the US, it should be getting pretty close to the goal. Thanks to Rock Mumbles for mentioning this campaign...

piebaldpython
July 5th, 2009, 12:02 AM
My donation will be PayPal'd no later than Tuesday.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM
oo only $80 left to go.

Hardass blues
July 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Got a pic? That sounds sweet.

yeah i'll get one up. Later,J.H.

Rocket
July 6th, 2009, 02:15 AM
I'd like to state that I'm personally proud that greater than 1/3 of the donate list is from the prior Washburn Acoustic Guitar forum gang... that's quite a statement from good folks always willing to pitch in and participate.

Kazz
July 6th, 2009, 04:35 AM

my 3 cents.

-syo

SYO,

I was thinking the same thing myself...

Kazz
July 6th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I'd like to state that I'm personally proud that greater than 1/3 of the donate list is from the prior Washburn Acoustic Guitar forum gang... that's quite a statement from good folks always willing to pitch in and participate.

Rocket...I will be bumping up that ratio by the weekend.....Count me in for $10

Rocket
July 6th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Rocket...I will be bumping up that ratio by the weekend.....Count me in for $10
My thoughts for a guitar raffle would be to allot 1-chance per each $10 donation to insure fairness of opportunity equal to donation amount. Those that donate $20 will have 2-chances, $30 3-chances, etc. As soon as I work out raffle details, I'll post them into a thread devoted to that.
I'm keeping close watch on donation list but I'd have to get amounts from Robert when donation period ends, whenever that is.
(Maybe Robert can post a firm stop date on this particular contribution effort... maybe end-of-month?)

Feel free to PM me and offer any further helpful thoughts or suggestions on the subject.

tot_Ou_tard
July 6th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I'd like to state that I'm personally proud that greater than 1/3 of the donate list is from the prior Washburn Acoustic Guitar forum gang... that's quite a statement from good folks always willing to pitch in and participate. Maybe they want to make sure the logo has a Washburn in it. :D

The guitar raffle is a very cool move on your part Rocket.

I donated money several days ago, but the banner stating the number of contributers & money raised hasn't gone up yet.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I will be getting something in this week too. Thanks all for the efforts and participation.

just strum
July 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM

And we are all good looking.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
The donation period will end as soon as we reach $400. Could be soon.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
I just paypal'd in my $20 using the button at the top. I was due anyway.

ibanezjunkie
July 6th, 2009, 09:21 AM
there must be one other person who can donate $20 to get us finished?

id donate the last $10 but my bank balance is currently £0.00.

kiteman
July 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM
What happens if you go over $400?

Do we get change? :)