PDA

View Full Version : Robert and Myra live video from June 2009

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 03:06 PM
Here is a clip from the latest gig. It was outside, a beautiful evening, but the PA sucked. The sound is not very good as a result. Can barely hear any drums, arrgh! The drummer used electronic drums, which were of course going through the crappy PA. The drums together with the vocals and acoustic guitar seemed to make everything drown out each other. We had a monitor on stage, and the sound was honestly much better there than what you hear on the clip, but I could barely hear the vocals when we played.

I used my Reverend Hellhound cranked up fairly loud. I used the Boss Blues Driver on this clip, and one point I also added the Cool Cat Vibe. Everything sounds muffled and compressed for some reason. Maybe that's due to the crappy PA and the camera being quite far away from the stage (I had to, or else the camera would have blocked the way for the party crowd). This was a staff party.

EOO7T_N4uQA

M29
July 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
Where was this at? I don't see any snow. Did you fly out somewhere to do this gig? :rotflmao:

I have never had much success recording with the mic or camera far away but it sounds good. The bass is bit louder but ok. You guys have a nice sound, lots of talent happening on that stage.

How did you like the Hellhound on the louder stuff? Did you feel you had enough clean headroom and you could get into some grit on the louder stuff? 18 watts filling the whole world with sound is very interesting to me as my amph is around 20 watts. I have always wanted to play a gig outside. Maybe down the road.

Very nice Robert very nice indeed!

M

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM
It was in Canada alright, we just finished shoveling all the snow off the grass minutes prior to the gig.

Thanks M29, for the record, the 4 of us have never ever rehearsed together... just gigged a couple of times! The drums are totally gone in the soundscape due to using the electronic kit.

Excuse the clams and stumbling playing, but we played mostly blues, and were hoping we could get away with it without too many noticing. Yeah, we're real pros alright. :whatever:

The Hellhound is a loud sucker. It is 40/60 watts. I definitely get enough clean headroom with that amp. What you hear on the recording is just my amp unmiked.

helliott
July 1st, 2009, 06:49 PM
You're being too self-critical of the overall sound, under the windy outdoor circumstances. The vocals, bass and you come through, which isn't ideal without drums, but you guys are good enough to make pretty impressive nonetheless. Your playing is great as usual, and your vocalist is excellent.
A minor point: three BB King high ringing notes with slide down afterwards is probably one too many. I got slammed for the same thing by a rather uncharitable pro who said once is all anyone should do it in a given song.
Overall though, yours is a pretty great band. And your guitar playing is tops, as usual.

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just wing it on these tunes - never know what's gonna happen... next time maybe no BB King notes, or maybe 4! I dunno. It's all in the moment (which may or may not be a good moment).

I might be able to wring together one more video from this gig. Anyone wanna see on more?

Algonquin
July 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone wanna see on more?
I'd love to see more!... after all, this is the Member Clip section which continues to be my favourite part of the Fret :AOK:

Bring it :bravo:

helliott
July 1st, 2009, 07:16 PM
I hear that. It's the moment, and then the armchair quarterbacking. I'd love to hear more of the gig. It was really good.

Robert
July 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Here's another. Flip, Flop n Fly. Sloppy playing by me. You know, it's really difficult to play bluesy stuff when you can barely hear the drums. It's like there is no driving force there - I just heard myself, a bit of bass and nothing else. Weird, and it made it very difficult to play relaxed and in the pocket.

EEV1owpGVN4

Jimi75
July 2nd, 2009, 01:20 AM
First of all, when you concentrate on the drums you hear them, and I must admit, they do not sound bad, I think they sound quite good. Guitar sound is excellent. It takes so few things to get a good sound! You picked a nice tune and Myra's voice fit in very well. I'd like to see more live videos. Of course you can not expect much of a reaction from the audience at such events, poeple concentrate on their kids, buying something to eat and to drink and in the background there's that nice little band playing....who was that again playing...

:AOK:

Gives us more...

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
You have to make the drummer get a used keyboard amp or something for a stage monitor. Otherwise, tell him to leave the electronic kit at home and bring the acoustic. It's only fair.

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 09:32 AM
Can never tell a drummer what to do... oh well, it was a low key gig and we had fun anyway. We just mess around and practice in front of people, basically. They still paid us! :eek:

Spudman
July 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Can never tell a drummer what to do...
You're right, but you can get rid of their leather collar and exchange it for a choke collar. That works wonders.:D

bigG
July 2nd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Very good, Robert! I thought Flip Flop n Fly was the better of the two, actually, although both were supreme :AOK:

Myra's sounding great, and, can I say this...? Looks as though she's lost some weight! :) :bravo: for her!

Robert
July 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Thanks. It's really quite crappy playing by all of us, but that's okay, we don't deserve to sound great with no rehearsals. This band is very un-serious, although I'd like to be in a more serious band one day...until then, we have fun foolin' around. :)

Myra is a very successful amateur body builder... she's got some incredible muscles! Just look at this http://www.bodyproud.org/profile/MyraMarshall.

M29
July 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Well....Looks like you got beat in the vein department. She has much largerer veins and prettyier too.

I never did care much for electric drums. I had a set when they first came out and ended up using just the toms. Nothing like a real snare and bass drum.

M

tjcurtin1
July 2nd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I dunno - y'all sound pretty good to me - Myra sounds really good belting it out in the open, rather than cooped up in a mall space. Seems the drums would have been fine with just more amplification.

EDIT: that should be a small space!

sunvalleylaw
July 2nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
It looks to me like she might be able to kick your hiney, . . . if she could catch the flying swede! ;)

Lev
July 3rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
Sounded great Robert, love the country/blues licks on the second clip. Funny most of us complain coz the drummer's too loud - must be the first time a guitarist has complained that he can't hear the drummer.

Steffe1973
July 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
As always Robert, you rock!

I agree that the sound is´nt the best but it was outside so....

Your fills is just awesome man!!

You´re my guitarhero!

Stefan

Robert
July 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks Stefan, glad you liking it! I think our band can do a lot better but... oh well.

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
maybe you should have asked the people to move away from infront of the camera :rotflmao:

the guy who comes on and just stands in the middle for a few seconds made me laugh so hard.

great playing Robert, that heatseeker sure is nice.

Robert
July 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks ibanezjunkie, people didn't even notice the camera. They were having a party! :dude:

I used my Reverend Hellhound for this gig, due to portability reasons.

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 01:32 PM
ahh cool, couldnt see it at the back there, but ive seen your heatseeker videos and it seems like it would be the one youd use for this kinda thing.

statement edited: that hellhound sure is nice :AOK:

women with muscles like that are scary :cry: