PDA

View Full Version : Sparrow Guitar

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
I just received an email from the music shop where I won the lessons. The email included an announcement that they are now a Sparrow Guitar dealer - anyone familiar with them?

http://www.sparrowguitars.com/

I plan on going there this weekend and will check out the gutiars.

Rocket
July 2nd, 2009, 06:01 PM
Yes. I've previously posted about them and posted a nice slideshow of their products:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22658185@N05/show/

just strum
July 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I found the post from May 28th, missed it when posted.

I'll have to check these out (as if I need more temptation).

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=11770

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
I went to the music store and they had one Sparrow. It was the LP version, black, with no pinstripe crap on it and no Bigsby.

http://www.sparrowguitars.com/customize/ratrod/pro

The quality was good, nothing to write home about, but nothing that would turn one off. The set-up was nice on the one I played and the neck felt decent.

It's most negative side for me was weight. I don't know how much it weighed, but to me it felt like a ton. I plugged it in to a little Fender amp and could not crank it up (see my lessons post for more on that)

The price was $589. I would say it was a tad better than a few guitars selling in that price range, but it would probably even out depending on personal trade-offs one would have.

Would I buy one new? Probably not, but if I found a used one selling locally I would probably look into it.

Rocket
July 3rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
The Sparrows are generic LP, Tele, Strat, etc. clone stock from Korea/China and final assy in Canada. Nothing special until the custom hand paint goes on... that's what people are paying Sparrow for.
Without the custom paint it's just another clone.

just strum
July 3rd, 2009, 11:47 AM
The Sparrows are generic LP, Tele, Strat, etc. clone stock from Korea/China and final assy in Canada. Nothing special until the custom hand paint goes on... that's what people are paying Sparrow for.
Without the custom paint it's just another clone.

I would have to agree. I've seen clones that were of poor quality and just an attempt at lowering price through quality cuts. The quality on the one I looked at was good, but one good guitar does not necessarily make for a good line of quality guitars. Speaking only of the one I played and could touch, it was ok.

If someone was to buy one or at least this one, they would have a decent guitar - but HEAVY!!!

sparrow
October 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Sparrow guitars are incredible! And why are they so heavy? Well, maybe coz guitars in the 50s were heavy! The "Just another clone" argument doesn't wash. Of course these are clones. $2000+ for a Gibson 335. Yep, that's out of my price range. And I'm sure it's a very nice guitar. Actually, I've played one in the Memphis factory that had a $4000 pricetag. Nice. Then I put it back carefully on its hanger.

Instead I got myself a kick *** Sparrow Ace with grover tuners, full sized pots and cavity shielding, Kent Armstrong vintage pickups, a bigsby tremelo (!), Rosewood fingerboard, stainless steel frets, bone nut, and a beautiful finish. Friends, that is not your average knock off. Yeah, it's heavy. So what? Everything was heavier back in the 50s when things were built to last.

I know the original post was two years ago. I hope you ended up with a good guitar, whatever the make.

Sparrow

Eric
October 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Sparrow guitars are incredible! And why are they so heavy? Well, maybe coz guitars in the 50s were heavy! The "Just another clone" argument doesn't wash. Of course these are clones. $2000+ for a Gibson 335. Yep, that's out of my price range. And I'm sure it's a very nice guitar. Actually, I've played one in the Memphis factory that had a $4000 pricetag. Nice. Then I put it back carefully on its hanger.

Instead I got myself a kick *** Sparrow Ace with grover tuners, full sized pots and cavity shielding, Kent Armstrong vintage pickups, a bigsby tremelo (!), Rosewood fingerboard, stainless steel frets, bone nut, and a beautiful finish. Friends, that is not your average knock off. Yeah, it's heavy. So what? Everything was heavier back in the 50s when things were built to last.

I know the original post was two years ago. I hope you ended up with a good guitar, whatever the make.

Sparrow
Hi Sparrow. I take it you're affiliated with the company -- is that correct? I've never heard of Sparrow guitars before, so it's interesting that you brought this thread back to life.

lou
October 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Nice guitars and have had the pleasure of trying them several times, they have a really nice line-up and put together a great playing instrument and I kind of dig their warehouse and all the stuff in it. They are big on several other area's also like the arts.
Hey Eric they are local here in Vancouver BC and have done a lot of work for local artists ( especially with some nice twang sounding guitars ).louI especially love that Bigsby on the big daddy