PDA

View Full Version : backup guitar in the UK?

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM
my strat's electronics have crapped out on me, and there were cracks all in the neck from its 5 years of loyal service to me and my cousin, so its been given back to him to fix and use as he wishes. It never really suited be, as i play rock and punk, which is best suited to a humbucker guitar. All i need is playability and if possible as lightweight as possible. obviously humbuckers preferred, or a HSS/HSH/ setup. Would prefere used, and prefere ebay. What should i look for you recon? ive looked for squier HSS strats but found nothing for cheaps.

help? thank you kindly. =]

Tibernius
July 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
All i need is playability and if possible as lightweight as possible. obviously humbuckers preferred, or a HSS/HSH/ setup. Would prefere used, and prefere ebay. What should i look for you recon? ive looked for squier HSS strats but found nothing for cheaps.

Vintage make some good guitars, you can get them for around the £100 mark on eBay. Westfield would be around the same price. Not quite as good quality as the Vintage ones but with a decent setup they're pretty good.
There's also Fret21, haven't played any of their guitars yet but they're made by the same company as Westfield. Around the same price range.

There's also Rally: LP, Flying V and Explorer style guitars. Around £130 each. Haven't played one but they've had plenty of good reviews.

There's also a store on eBay selling set-neck LP copies for £65 each. Haven't played any of them so no personal opinion, can't find any reviews of them either. Sounds a bit risky to me but I've bought guitars for ~£60 before that, once given a decent set up, play better than ~£300 guitars.

If you want any more details PM me and I'll send you a link to them.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
cool thanks man ill check them out. I had a Rally guitar once, its in the mods forum here being repainted and having new pickups installed. It was alright but wasnt really a lead guitar, but was fine for rhythm.

ive looked at Westfield LP copies, they look damned nice, if i cant find cheaper thats probably my first choice. read many reviews.

Lev
July 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM
+1 for vintage, especially the v100 icon series LP's . Wilkinson pickups on these sound great. Be warned though at this price point you can't be guaranteed the quality of every guitar so be careful if going down the eBay route.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 02:21 PM
i was thinking of getting a squier affinity tele and eventually upgrading and re-caling it. But i dunno, the Squier isnt that much cheaper than the Westfield, and thats not much cheaper than the Vintage.

its going to be tough. GAS pains have arrived.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
hey guys, how about this?

http://www.musicwarehouse.co.uk/product.asp?cookiecheck=yes&P_ID=1593&numLanguageID=1

ive had a guitar with 'EMG designed' pups before, they were average at best, but i wouldnt keep them in for long, only till i could afford an upgrade.

opinions?

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
so any opinions on that AXL tele?

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Junkie, your thread has 7 posts and 5 are replies to yourself and you bump years-old threads... are you a disorganized schizophrenic?

Edit: Nevermind... I know the answer!

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
im disorganised...and fairly clumsy...but im not schizophrenic.

Ps. i only know what schizophrenic means because i played max payne then looked it up.

Rampant
July 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Junkie, your thread has 7 posts and 5 are replies to yourself and you bump years-old threads... are you a disorganized schizophrenic?

Hell, NO!

It's my other personality that's the schitzo :confused:

Monkus
July 12th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I played one of these at a local store today, pretty sweet, and affordable.

http://www.prsguitars.com/allender/index.html

couldnt find it on zzounds so here is representative price.

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_SE%20Paul%20Allender%20Signature%20Model%2 0Electric%20Guitar_-1_10052_10002_-49966480

To me the pups seem hotter than is normal for that price point for prs. Good Luck !!!

ZMAN
July 12th, 2009, 08:12 AM
+ 1 on the Vintage. They have some really nice guitars and are based in England. I recently purchased the Vintage V100 Gold top with P90s. Lev has the Lemon Drop, which is the Peter Green tribute. I had to have a fret level done on mine but now it is one of my favourite guitars.
Trev Wilkinson is doing the pickups and hardware and they are exceptional.
If I were you I would take good look at their line up.
http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

ibanezjunkie
July 12th, 2009, 10:48 AM
http://www.themusicking.co.uk/westfield-e4000-les-paul-style-guitar-white

or

http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=6685&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison

guys?

ZMAN
July 12th, 2009, 02:57 PM
As I said before the Vintage gets miy vote. Listen to the sound clips for the V100s. The Wilkinson hardware and pickups are really worth thel extra pounds. Check out Youtube for the Vintage Icons series. You will be amazed by the tone.

ibanezjunkie
July 12th, 2009, 03:11 PM
yeah ive seen a couple videos, i remember the ads in TG magazine where Slash admits to using one in the studio.

the V100 is definately on the top of the list at the moment, especially since id expect to have to replace pups in any guitar of that price, the vintage has the advantage of not needing that.

also, any opinions on the PRS SE Standard? i was told the SE EG is bad, but i dunno about the Standard, cant seem to find much on it.

ZMAN
July 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I have only seen the Vintage guitars in one place here in Canada. They had several of the Icon series and I was impressed. As far as the PRS I have no experience with them. I found I had a couple of high and low frets on my V100, so I had my Luthier do a fret level and set up. It cost me 100 dollars and still the guitar total came to less than an Epiphone LP and plays a lot nicer.
It is only my second P90 guitar, my other one is a 1968 SG, and I had hoped that it would be a little less noisey. I may swap in a set of the mini humbuckers down the road. But for playability and overall weight/feel it is very nice.
What would the street price be for one over there?

ibanezjunkie
July 13th, 2009, 10:21 AM
the V100 in ebony is about £175 and in white its £190 (so i guess your paying for the paintwork)

so its not as expensive as a lower end PRS, and its half the price of an epi LP standard over here.

ZMAN
July 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I really like the job they did on the reliced LPs. The Icon series.
I think that any of them would be a great backup. Let us know what you end up with.