PDA

View Full Version : GAS solved for the moment - got new studio monitors today

Robert
July 3rd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I mentioned earlier my GAS was lacking, but then someone mentioned monitors, and I took that bait right away. Of course I needed monitors - I have been using headphones only for too long.

It so happened the the local music store just got in some inexpensive small studio monitors. Eden E3 they are called. Really cheap too, just over hundred CDN bucks. I just plugged them in now as I am typing this, and I'm listening to Brent Mason and wow! What an improvement!

I am not an expert on monitors but I think this is a great buy for this price. They are really small, but plenty loud for what I do. The sound is very clear and flat - not an emphasized bass frequency - which I like for mixing and just listening to music. I can really hear the reverbs and subtle sounds in the recordings, and remember, I have a serious hearing loss already.

I might hook them up to the TV one day too, to see how that will sound. Our TV speakers are pretty crappy. For this purpose, it is likely better with monitors that have a strong bass.

I am happy with this purchase! A LOT for the money, I gotta say! My music collection on my computer never sounded this good before at home!

See details about the speakers at http://www.eden-electronics.com/products/monitors/index.asp#

They are on sale right now on their website for 70 bucks.

The E5 is the bigger brother.

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
nice :AOK:

im still using headphones :(

expensive...but inadequate headphones.

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
Those look pretty cool! I might need to include a pair in our remodeled media area, to run off the computer, and maybe for tv listening. Do you think they would work as the kind of speaker you use to boost speech in movies, so you don't have to have the sound up to hear the dialogue, then get blasted out by the next scene's music?

Robert
July 3rd, 2009, 05:15 PM
I don't know Steve, but I am going to use these when watching my next movie, to find out. It might be tonight. I really love these already! And for 70 bucks? Wholly Macaroni On A Stick! :D

sunvalleylaw
July 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
They need more foods like macaroni on a stick, and more meats in tubes, and served on a stick etc. Just as an aside, it is so hard not to talk politics today down here in the states . . . sheesh! I look forward to your report. $70 is darned sweet for some decent little speaks.

Monkus
July 3rd, 2009, 07:55 PM
Haven't heard the Eden monitors. Once they sound good enough to improve your playing, all the better ! Congrats !!!! :beer:

Spudman
July 3rd, 2009, 11:35 PM
Those look pretty cool! I might need to include a pair in our remodeled media area, to run off the computer, and maybe for tv listening. Do you think they would work as the kind of speaker you use to boost speech in movies, so you don't have to have the sound up to hear the dialogue, then get blasted out by the next scene's music?

Try a graphic EQ in your playback system. You can boost the mids at the vocal frequencies.

stingx
July 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Those look great, Robert! Cool specs on them. Hope you enjoy them.

Robert
July 4th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Those look great, Robert! Cool specs on them. Hope you enjoy them.

They are really sweet for this price. Maybe I'll get really good ones one day, but I am sure these will last a long time for my needs.