PDA

View Full Version : Rickenbacker

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I was just curious about folks here that own one or more. I never really see any posts about them.

People don't like them, too expensive, what's up?

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
I've got a '66 375 & '68 360-12 as part of my stash, along with my '60 Kay Silvertone, '58 Gretsch 6120, and '54 Zephyr Regent, (among others.)
I've never really used the Rics. They're permanently retired and stored with our other collectibles.
I don't have feelings about them other than being a decent investment. They're not for sale so don't bother asking.

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I've got a '66 375 & '68 360-12 as part of my stash, along with my '60 Kay Silvertone, '58 Gretsch 6120, and '54 Zephyr Regent, (among others.)
I've never really used the Rics. They're permanently retired and stored with our other collectibles.
I don't have feelings about them other than being a decent investment. They're not for sale so don't bother asking.

Before retiring, did you use the Ric's often? I have a friend that has one, but he seldom plays it, usually opting for his ES335 (I can't argue playing the 335), but other than retaining value, I never hear anyone get worked up over them (limited ownership would certainly play a role in that).

58 Gretsch 6120 - -hmmmmm!!!

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Before retiring, did you use the Ric's often?
Nope... they're just an investment.

Rockette has two also... a 360-12 and a Ric bass she inherited when her brother died. (He was also a gigging musician.)
I don't know her feelings toward them and I'm not gonna ask today.

Suhnton
July 4th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I almost bought a Rickenbacker 330 about 15 years ago. I'm still kicking myself now for not doing so. Everything about it was great: low action, thin neck, great sound (I borrowed it on "test loan" for a week and played it thru a cranked Hiwatt), and it looked fantastic. If I ran across some cash to buy one now, I would.

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I almost bought a Rickenbacker 330 about 15 years ago. I'm still kicking myself now for not doing so. Everything about it was great: low action, thin neck, great sound (I borrowed it on "test loan" for a week and played it thru a cranked Hiwatt), and it looked fantastic. If I ran across some cash to buy one now, I would.

You caught (edited) my joke before I had an opportunity to post (330 years ago - man that would be a collectible).

My friends is a 12 string that he runs through a Hiwatt (100 watt) and it certainly sounds nice, but all I hear are the Byrds. I'm partial to his 335, so I don't pay much attention to his 335.

You don't see them much on stage or at least I don't notice them. A guitar with such a reputation and value, you would think you would see more of them.

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 09:31 AM
You don't see them much on stage or at least I don't notice them. A guitar with such a reputation and value, you would think you would see more of them.
I think they stopped feeling the need to play keep-up with Gibson, Fender, & Gretsch to bribe pros with free gear. That game can get expensive.

pes_laul
July 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I've played two to date: My bass player in my band plays one and it's possibly the nicest bass I've played. then In another band the bass player had like a bidget model which aint nothing great but still good

duhvoodooman
July 4th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Catch a Petty & the Heartbreakers concert and you'll see plenty of Rics, played through Vox stacks. Sure sounded good to me, but those guys are certainly not your average band....

To wit:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2566593868_613d83685c.jpg

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 10:46 AM
They are on VH1 classic as I type and Ric's in abundance.

marnold
July 4th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I've always thought they were kind of ugly (I know, stupid reason for not liking a guitar). Having said that, somebody playing a Byrds riffs on a Rick 12-string through a Vox does sound awfully nice.

wingsdad
July 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
I think I've posted often about my cherished '82 360-12BWB, which I ordered thru a mom n' pop dealer in suburban NY back then in a non-standard finish, Autumnglo. It came thru with a 'birthmark'...a maple birdseye on it's upper bout. The ingenius headstock design makes re-stringing a challenge, but worth the aggravation; the neck is incredibly narrow and thin for a 12-string, since it's actually a 6-string neck. It's great for smalll-handed, thin-fingered players, but for average or larger hands, forming chords in the first position often requires coming up with new shapes. But the 360-12 shines best not as a chord machine, but as a melody siren. Mine's also wired to play mono or stereo, with 'Rick-O-Sound' sending the neck & bridge low-gain single coil toaster pickups to their own ouputs. The smaller 5th knob is a 'blender', operating differently in mono and stereo::
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Rick%2012/IMG_0288c.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Rick%2012/IMG_0294c.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Rick%2012/IMG_0303c.jpg
It was a major tool for me in my working days, one of just 3 guitars I hung onto after retiring from the deadly grind, and to this day, it gives me chills with its tonal pallette. Neck-thru-body design was intended for strength and stability, but has a ton to do it's ringing resonance with the hollow chambers on either side.

Strummy, if all you hear is Byrds...the string setup -- root string preceding the high octave in the 4 lower courses -- yields the characteristic 'jangle' unlike 'conventionally strung 12's before them and was introduced to the world by George Harrison, since owner Frank Hall of Rick launched the new model into the limelight by presenting him with one soon after they landed in NYC for their 1st US tour & Ed Sullivan. George was so infatuated with it that it was practically his main guitar for 'Hard Day's Night' and that sound was infused into so much of the Beatles' material in '63 & '64. It was that sound that grabbed folkster Roger McGuinn's attention and inspired 'the Byrds sound'. Of course, John Lennon's rhythm work with his 'shortarm' (short scale) Rick 325 was instrumental to the early Beatles sound. Pete Townsend used Rick 330's a lot in early Who stuff.

'Vood's already pointed to TP & Mike Campbell making major use of Rick 12's. Years ago, Rick issued limited edition Petty, Wilson, Towsend, McQuinn and John Kay (Steppenwolf) models:
Tom Petty 660/12TP (http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.asp?news_id=1&news=old)
Carl Wilson 360CW & 360/12CW (http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.asp?news_id=35&news=old)
Pete Townsend Limited Edition (http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.asp?news_id=29&news=old)
McGuinn 370-12 (http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.asp?news_id=30&news=old)
John Kay 381JK (http://www.rickenbacker.com/news_item.asp?news_id=33&news=old)

New Ricks today are relatively not more expensive than $3,000-5,000 Gibson LP's or 335's, so I think their scarcity is more a matter of limited production. Other than certain models designated for limited annual runs, they're practically made to fill dealer orders. Sort of like Heritage guitars, another brand of superior quality you just don't see many of.

And you don't see many Rick model clones like you do Strats, LP's and 335's because unlike Fender or Gibson, the company assiduously protected (protects) it's body style designs.

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Wings, besides John's infamous Ric, I didn't realize that Ric's were more prevalent in their music. I read the history on the Ric site and was surprised to see that it was used more often and I wasn't aware of it.

I didn't realize you still had one although I recall it mentioned before. As for 12 strings, you know my feeling there. I like the sound, but I don't want to change the strings.

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM
everyone from the beatles, to the Clash all the way up to motorhead have used Rickenbacker basses.

i personally love them, how they look and play.

if i hav £3,000 is buy one over any gibson les paul custom.

wingsdad
July 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Strummy, I just went back & edited my post... to mention and add links to a number of significant Rick-player models from the Ric site you've checked out. Note the list prices these articles state and the dates of the articles. Mine was 'pricey' in '82, costing me about $735 at 35% off list...my '81 'hot-rod' STRAT was $635 from the same dealer...when new standard Strats were around $350 and a new Gibson LP Custom was around $450 street.

So, I also bumped today's price range to $3K-$5K...Ricks cost a bit more than their American competitors back when I got mine, and they do now. They're not 'cheap'.

I know you're squeamish about restringing a 12...and typical acoustic or electric 12's take more hand & finger strength to play than their 6-string counterparts, but....you might acquire a taste someday.;)

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 12:57 PM
rickenbacker guys, answer me this

WTH is 'Rick-o-sound' ?

Rocket
July 4th, 2009, 01:07 PM
See Subject: 5.2 What is Rick-O-Sound and how do I use it?:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/music/guitars/rickenbacker/

<snip>
Subject: 5.2 What is Rick-O-Sound and how do I use it?

Some Rickenbacker models include a 1/4" stereo output jack
which separates the signals coming from each of the pickups.

In the case of three-pickup guitars, the stock wiring circuit
combines the neck and middle pickups onto one channel, and
the bridge pickup is on the other channel.

There are three ways to use it:
1. The official Rick-O-Sound adapter
2. A stereo Y-splitter available from Radio Shack
3. Use a stereo guitar cord (you may have to build one yourself)

This allows you to use different amplifiers, effects, and/or
equalization on each channel resulting in some very interesting
possibilities to create new sounds with your instrument.

[email omitted]
<end>

Suhnton
July 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
You caught (edited) my joke before I had an opportunity to post (330 years ago - man that would be a collectible).

My friends is a 12 string that he runs through a Hiwatt (100 watt) and it certainly sounds nice, but all I hear are the Byrds. I'm partial to his 335, so I don't pay much attention to his 335.

Here's a "Rickenbacker" band that you certainly won't mistake for The Byrds.

Fugazi
jHDop-KFb5c

just strum
July 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Here's a "Rickenbacker" band that you certainly won't mistake for The Byrds.

I think I detected a sampling of Turn Turn Turn

scgmhawk
July 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Well, I've never played a Ric but I do know that there are a couple of models on sale at Musiciansfriend. I think they're something like $500 off normal prices. It's a call in "special".

Rocket
July 7th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Those aren't "specials"... Ric marketing agreement doesn't allow dealers to directly advertise pricing. If you call or email, dealers will divulge their retail pricing.

hubberjub
July 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I really like the sound of Rickenbackers but their narrow string spacing doesn't like my fat fingers. I did play the 650 series which is a more modern guitar and I thought it was fantastic.

scgmhawk
July 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Those aren't "specials"... Ric marketing agreement doesn't allow dealers to directly advertise pricing. If you call or email, dealers will divulge their retail pricing.

I don't know about their marketing agreement. Just trying to share some info. I read on another board if anyone's interested. I believe the "retail pricing" expires 7/26.

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
An acquaintance of mine (my son's dad) plays rhythm in a band that had some mild success in the '90s in LA, and he plays his Ric. It is brown and white but that is about all I know about it, other than I think it is a 300 series. I think they are cool looking myself, but I don't see myself spending the dough on one.

pes_laul
July 7th, 2009, 10:35 PM
An acquaintance of mine (my son's dad) plays rhythm in a band that had some mild success in the '90s in LA, and he plays his Ric. It is brown and white but that is about all I know about it, other than I think it is a 300 series. I think they are cool looking myself, but I don't see myself spending the dough on one.
hmm just wondering but wouldn't your son's dad be you?

sunvalleylaw
July 7th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Oops, son's friend's dad. That would be cool if I was the owner though.

tot_Ou_tard
July 8th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Oops, son's friend's dad. That would be cool if I was the owner though.
You're a lawyer, turn your typo into a guitar. ;)

scgmhawk
July 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM

:rotflmao:

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'll always regret that I didn't see Fugazi when they played a small club in Gainesville (which I also played on other occasions, and which probably existed for less than a year).

That said, I'm a Ric owner, I have a 620 solidbody with Hi-Gains. I like it a lot but the neck is small and if you have big mitts the string spacing could be a serious problem. It's not really designed for being a "lead" guitar in the modern sense but has cool tone and, I think, great looks.

In my case, my Ric was the deal of the century. I was trying to sell off an Epi Flying V w/ohsc (which I'd bought used for $250) in order to pay off a different deal (my minty '99 LP Classic for a paltry $750). An old scene buddy of mine instead proposed a STRAIGHT TRADE of his beater Ric 620 for my Epi Flying V. After ensuring he didn't think I had a Gibby V, I quickly decided to instead trade the V and sell something else to finance the LP Classic!

Here's my beater 620:

http://static.flickr.com/34/64187964_178d5e6b9c_o.jpg

I haven't used mine as much as I would like. It's not well suited to Crash Pad (though I have used it for that):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/216/472617115_8f65e31fd0.jpg

but is well suited for my roots-rock side band, though my lead singer has the same guitar in blue:

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/122/l_265924ee1713fe0b6cdd0b71e2e523d0.jpg

Now I'm playing bass in the side band, though, so I hope to use the Ric in church, plus the occasional Crash Pad show.

Brian Krashpad
July 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Catch a Petty & the Heartbreakers concert and you'll see plenty of Rics, played through Vox stacks. Sure sounded good to me, but those guys are certainly not your average band....

To wit:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2566593868_613d83685c.jpg

In Campbell's case, though you're seeing Vox Super Beatles, in most cases during their set you're hearing his Fender Deluxe:

http://www.premierguitar.com/issue/features/images/200804_campbell_3.jpg

Not to knock Vox, just sayin'.

marnold
July 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM
In Campbell's case, though you're seeing Vox Super Beatles, in most cases during their set you're hearing his Fender Deluxe:

Not to knock Vox, just sayin'.
OK. Why?

wingsdad
July 22nd, 2009, 10:30 PM
...my Ric was the deal of the century. ...
For an Epi V?:eek: Darn right. :AOK:

Here's my beater 620...
Never heard a Ric relegated to 'beater' status. :whatever: Daisy Rock, OTH...;)

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM
OK. Why?

Mike Campbell:

We have a combination of things; on the last few tours, we brought the [Vox] Super Beatles back after having retired them for a while because they are really loud, and as we got older it was harder to sing over that volume. We brought them back because we missed some of the tones that we used to get from them. Those Super Beatles are on stage now - I'm not actually playing through them but Tom does on a couple of songs. Behind them are the things that we are actually using in the mix.

Right now my favorite setup, which I kinda found with my little band in the clubs but I use onstage now with the Heartbreakers, is a tweed Deluxe and a blackface Fender Princeton together behind the Super Beatle, and an isolated Vox AC30 that I have backstage in a box. The guy up front can pull up any of those amps that fit the room that night, but mostly it's the blackface Princeton and the tweed Deluxe, which is a '59. Those two amps sound really great together.

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2009, 04:58 AM
For an Epi V?:eek: Darn right. :AOK:

Never heard a Ric relegated to 'beater' status. :whatever: Daisy Rock, OTH...;)

By beater in this instance I just mean it was beat up when I got it. Cosmetically, it's a mess. Rust, sticker ghost images, plating flaking off, etc.

Rampant
July 23rd, 2009, 06:45 AM
The very friend of mine who was directly responsible for getting me into guitars owns 2 Rics - one from a "few" years back - and one he bought in Boise, Idaho about 4 yrs ago when we were both away at the same time with work. He intended to sell the newer one on as the exchange rates were good at the time, and it wouldn't have been his own choice of colour (orangey-creamy-beige IIRC)! I remeber him walking back into the hotel with a huge grin and a guitar case in his hand and saying "wanna see what I just bought?" It certainly does look good, though, and in the end he didn't sell it. Mainly, I think, because he is a Ric fan. Well, Rickenbacker did invent the electric guitar, don't you know? as once or twice he's informed me :D

Cheerz

Mark H

marnold
July 23rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
playing flaking off, etc.
Sounds like more of a personal problem to me. :D

Brian Krashpad
July 23rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sounds like more of a personal problem to me. :D

Haha, fixed.

Why'd they put the "t" next to the "y?"

:thwap:

Monkus
July 23rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by pes_laul

Not if it was his stepson .... :D

pes_laul
July 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Not if it was his stepson .... :D
touche;)

wingsdad
September 9th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Did anyone attend?:

Why would anyone want to? Seriously...