PDA

View Full Version : 'EMG' Designed pickups?

ibanezjunkie
July 4th, 2009, 03:52 PM
ive been considering getting a Tele copy that has 'EMG Designed' pickups in it. I Assume its along the same lines as duncan designed, cheap a$$ pickups they put in squiers eh?

i intend to swap them out when i get the cash anyway, but what should i expect when and if i get the tele?

thekiwidisciple
July 11th, 2009, 09:09 AM
You should expect a large portion of death flavoured cheese on a stick. I had one of those. It sounded absolutely horrible to the point where I never actually used the pickup, it was just there to fill up space. The tele may be alright, but I wouldn't count on wanting to play it before you got a chance to get new pickups. They're shocking!

duhvoodooman
July 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that term ""designed" seems to be code for "we gave them a mediocre design ('cuz we use the good ones ourselves) and they manufactured it from cheap-**** parts, so it sounds like crap". Or something like that....

tunghaichuan
July 11th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, that term ""designed" seems to be code for "we gave them a mediocre design ('cuz we use the good ones ourselves) and they manufactured it from cheap-**** parts, so it sounds like crap". Or something like that....

That is a dead on description of the Duncan Designed pickups. I had a set in a Schecter guitar and they sounded terrible. Made in Korea.

tung

ibanezjunkie
July 12th, 2009, 03:18 AM
hmm ive shifted my attention to Gibson melody makers and the bottom end PRS guitars now.

how are they? the melody maker seems good, although its the cheapest usa made guitar.

pes_laul
July 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM
That is a dead on description of the Duncan Designed pickups. I had a set in a Schecter guitar and they sounded terrible. Made in Korea.

tung
Hmm our schecter C1-+ plus had duncan designed pickups and those actually sounded great. though we eventually swapped out for gfs power rails which killed any clean sound:thwap:

tunghaichuan
July 15th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hmm our schecter C1-+ plus had duncan designed pickups and those actually sounded great. though we eventually swapped out for gfs power rails which killed any clean sound:thwap:

When I had my C1+ I swapped out the Duncan Designed bridge PU for an 80s Schecter Super Rock PU. It was a noticeable difference. The Duncan Designed pickups only sound good until you put them up against a truly good sounding pickup.

steve