PDA

View Full Version : It's started! :(

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 03:31 AM
I recently bought a new Squier Telecaster, bringing my grand total of axes up to 3. I was sitting on the couch this evening when my darling mother proceeded to complain about my 'obsession' with guitars. I'm only 17 and live at home, so there's no whinging from the Mrs...yet. :)

I thought it would be cool to have a bit of a discussion on our different excuses for getting out of trouble with the old lady (either one)!:bravo:

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
i always tell my parents that i cant get the sounds i need out of a particular guitar, so therefore must continue to buy things =]

my girlfriend does moan that i spend far too long on my own writing songs, revalving amps, setting up guitars, recording, tabbing songs and working on live setlists, etc.

Rocket
July 5th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Been done... search it.

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 05:00 AM
Some of the standards:

This old thing, naw I had it in thhe closet

I promise it's my last one

I'm selling the one over there, so it will end up paying off the new one.

It was too good of a deal to pass up.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 05:17 AM
when someone tells me i spend too much money

i reply with: what do you do with your money? sleep on it?

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Some of the standards:

This old thing, naw I had it in thhe closet

I promise it's my last one

I'm selling the one over there, so it will end up paying off the new one.

It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Those are good!:D

kiteman
July 5th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Ask your darling mother how many shoes she have. :D

luvmyshiner
July 5th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Teach your darling mother how to play guitar. Then when she gets into it, you can start complaining that she has more guitars than you.

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Teach your darling mother how to play guitar. Then when she gets into it, you can start complaining that she has more guitars than you.

or just let her assume they are her guitars.

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Kiteman: I honestly think she has like 3 pairs...

Shiner: Not a chance...

Strum: I like your thinking, buddy!

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM
i like Strum's first standard response

because we all keep our axes in the closet :D

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Kiteman: I honestly think she has like 3 pairs...

Apply the new math - that would be six shoes.

wingsdad
July 5th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Apply the new math - that would be six shoes.

Yeah :AOK: Why does she need 6 shoes? She only has 2 feet...doesn't she:whatever:

kiteman
July 5th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Yeah :AOK: Why does she need 6 shoes? She only has 2 feet...doesn't she:whatever:

Heh, we only have two hands hey?

Spudman
July 5th, 2009, 09:50 AM
You can also show her this picture and then explain that when men get serious about a vocation they acquire the proper tools so they are able to do whatever is required. That will usually shut them up because they have no idea what you mean and don't want to appear stupid by continuing the discussion.:D

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/family109.jpg

bek
July 5th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Bravely continue your gear quest. Borrow other people's guitars, buy ultra-cheap junkpiles, even if they don't work well. Keep so many around it gets confusing. When she asks, you can tell her it was $10 or it isn't yours, you're just borrowing to try it out (completely true). Explain exhaustively the differences between/among the instruments, making sure she's bored. After awhile she might just ignore them. I pulled out a beautiful acoustic-electric bass I hadn't played around my wife in almost a year. She had forgot I had it, it flummoxed her, but she remembered when I told her when I had bought it. Now I think she's given up. That's the ticket.

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Spud, I have a set of those too, but I still have the chain connected to the head stock.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Mini-Guitar-Musical-Instrument.jpg

and I have the larger scale one too.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/mini_guitar_hands173144418_std.jpg

pes_laul
July 5th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Spud, I have a set of those too, but I still have the chain connected to the head stock.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Mini-Guitar-Musical-Instrument.jpg

and I have the larger scale one too.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/mini_guitar_hands173144418_std.jpg
:rotflmao: that made my day.

I showed spuds picture to my dad and now we got a new guitar amp and were saving up for a new ibanez acoustic:rockon:

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Spud that is a hell of a collection.

i think youve got more in stock than alot of guitar shops.

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Ooh, you guys are good!

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I showed spuds picture to my dad and now we got a new guitar amp and were saving up for a new ibanez acoustic:rockon:

I showed the pic to my wife, I think the rsponse was something like - "good for him", followed by "forget about it".

pes_laul
July 5th, 2009, 06:46 PM
I showed the pic to my wife, I think the rsponse was something like - "good for him", followed by "forget about it".
haha it helps that my dads a fellow guitar player too:dude:

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 06:54 PM
haha it helps that my dads a fellow guitar player too:dude:
I'm teaching my dad to play bass. He understands the 'different guitar, different sound' concept, and every now and then will say that to my mum, but he's sensible. :rotflmao:

Spudman
July 5th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Spud that is a hell of a collection.

i think youve got more in stock than alot of guitar shops.

I have more electrics than all 3 of my local stores combined.

thekiwidisciple
July 5th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Literally, Spud? :O

sumitomo
July 5th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Very nice Spud,but I think you could use just one more!Sumi:D

Spudman
July 5th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Literally, Spud? :O

Seriously.

thekiwidisciple
July 6th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Wow, that's very cool. How do you keep up with maintenance/stringing etc? Do you ever pick one up that you don't play too often and discover it has disgusting strings etc?

Rocket
July 6th, 2009, 01:26 AM
I have more electrics than all 3 of my local stores combined.
Nice... So which one are you gonna pony-up for the raffle?
I need to know so I can decide which one I'm offering up.

Seriously.
Seriously!