PDA

View Full Version : entire band live rig?

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 08:19 AM
now ive sussed out my rig, ive had the rest of the band sort out theirs, and this is what we got so far (we already own half this stuff, only a couple bits we need to get)

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss93/LeadGuitar2009/Bandsetuplive1possible.jpg

anything we should add to this you think?

wingsdad
July 5th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Assuming this setup is for practice and small hall or club venue gigs, you should consider mic'ing the drum kit, at least for the gig venues.

Since your PA looks like it's got only 4 inputs, and mic'ing a drum kit effectively calls for anywhere from 2-6 mics, the best way to handle that on a budget would be to acquire a (minimum) 6 channel stereo submixer to go into 1 of the PA's channels, and another 4-channel for your vocal submix to go into another, leaving the PA's other 2 inputs for the guitar and bass. Behringer has a number of inexpensive ($60-$100USD new) yet quite decent options, but if you're down on Behringer because of image concerns, then a Yamaha MG10 or Peavey 6 or 8 would do well. New, these little boards go for around $130USD - $150USD, used for about half of that. With some clever signal routing, with vocal mics panned hard to one side and drum mics panned hard to the other, you might even be able to get away with one submixer for vocals and drums, but you'd be compromising. Two would certainly be best and give you flexibility, and a rig you could use to cover recording your practices and gigs, if not demos.

You could work your way up with the mics, starting with 2 -- 1 unidirectional/tight cardioid pattern for the kick (bass drum) and 1 omnidirectional overhead (over the center cymbals and aimed toward the snare. You could then add 1 unidirectional at the hi-hat/snare, 1 close over the toms, and 1 at the floor tom. CAD makes a nice inexpensive 4-mic drum mic kit.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 08:58 AM
im not down on behringers mixers, we used to use one, but it was sold to fund the purchase of the microphones.

i guess its time for another mixer, and some more drumkit mics

might leave the micing of the drum kit for a while, see how it goes once we get back into the studio.

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2009, 11:11 AM
How much bottom end is the bass player getting from the Cube 30? I've never seen a bass player use one.

Your rig looks OK for small bars but, like every band I was ever in, your needs will outgrow it faster than you think.

I'm not a huge fan of Behringer mixers, either.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 11:18 AM
it gets fairly fat low end, although i do have a modded behringer ultrabass 60w in my room that would probably be better.

im going to shop around for mixers, one i used to use alot myself was a skytec 4 channel, which would work great here
damned cheap too.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM
hey guys, do you think putting a condenser infront of the drum kit about a half meter away would do the job?

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
hey guys, do you think putting a condenser infront of the drum kit about a half meter away would do the job?

It would work to pick up ambient sound from the kit, bit it won't add the thump from the kick or the toms. Just my experience with my drummer - when we go lean in small bars, he mics the kick and the toms. We pan them to a sub to give them some muscle. The thump from the drums and a well mixed bottom end from the bass is what drives the music.

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 01:18 PM
would it give it more bass kick if i put it through a bass amp?

ibanezjunkie
July 5th, 2009, 02:17 PM
i need an A/B amp selector, and its the first thing on a long list of stuff i need to get

behringer or EXH?

Plank_Spanker
July 5th, 2009, 02:55 PM
would it give it more bass kick if i put it through a bass amp?

It might if you're cloodging the rig together, but a subwoofer goes a long ways for your sound.

I get the impression that you guys are just getting things together and using what you have and can afford............................I have been there, done that, bought the T shirt. :D

For right now, use what you have and play your asses off doing it. That's more important than sweating better gear. Long range - save your coins and buy a decent mixer and power amp along with a subwoofer. PA gear is always a killer with a band and always a compromise to needs vs money.

Go with what you have right now and raise hell doing it. Sharpening the band's chops is more important than the gear right now. The better gigs will come, as will the better gear.

You will get there........................just be patient. :dude:

just strum
July 5th, 2009, 02:58 PM
You will get there........................just be patient. :dude:

Good advice Plank - there are miles of road ahead.