PDA

View Full Version : Ich bien ein Mandoliner!

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2009, 04:34 PM
Forgive my pseudo-German.

Well, I've had bronchitis all week, but the first chance I had to get away from work was Friday. My ****ing editor at work tried to make me feel guilty for taking not Friday, but Friday AFTERNOON (a whole ****ing half-day) off, but **** him. So I goes to the doc, and just as I suspect, I gots da bronchitis. And though I woulda sworn I wasn't running any fever, I was at 100.6 too. So he gives me three scrips and sends me on my way.

Well, on Saturday morning we have a run-through for church-band practice, although I've already been given the band director's dispensation to skip Saturday rehearsals at will, and just show up early on Sunday for a run-through just before the service. The basis of the dispensation is that the original concept of the band was to divide all available players up into 4 "teams" and have each team play once a month, but since I'm the only lead player on any team, and can play bass if needed, among other things, I'm kinda a de facto utility player who's (gladly) made himself available to play with any "team." So, instead of playing once a month, I can play every Sunday if I so choose, and can blow off Saturday practices if I so choose, too.

Win-win, baby.

So, since I was demonstrably, doctor-note, sick on Saturday, I didn't feel guilty blowing off practice, and e-mailing my band director and explaining that I planned to be there early Sunday, despite still being sick.

So this morning I was packing up at Casa Krashpad, before going over to the office to pick up the amp head I needed, and a little voice said "Take the mandolin." Now, to be honest, I really don't know how to play mandolin. My dad lent me his, many years ago, and I never really played it (the sevreal-note lead break on "Maggie May" notwithstanding). And then when he inexplicably asked me to return it (he can't play it either), earlier this year, I picked up a cheapo Washburn acoustic-electric mando for like $85 or something. I've never played either one in public.

So, I throws the mando in the van, go off to the office to pick up my amp head, and then proceed to church.

I get all my stuff set up and the acoustic-electric rhythm guitarist shows up first. I acoustically tune the mando to him. Of the four songs the praise band is to do, only one is a clear choice for a non-player, a song in E with only once hitch-- during the chorus there's a short stretch in F#min7.

Now, those of you who don't know mando, basically if you can do a "mirror image" in your mind of the bottom four strings of a guitar (i.e., same as a bass), and then FLIP them or put them in REVERSE order, you gots a mando. So instead of EADG, the mando strings are GDAE. With a little bit o' thinkin', you can reverse guitar chords to figure out mando ones. As it so happens, an F#min7 on mando is simply a barre across the second fret-- none more easier, baybee.

So anyhow, obviously I didn't do nothin' fancy, just chord along to a 4-chord song. Albeit in front of 200 or 300 people, in church.

So, now: Ich bein ein Mandoliner!

Here's my mandolin (minus the pickguard):

http://www.clarindasmusic.com/images/om10e-faith-lit.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
July 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Sweet Brian!

I loves me some mando.

Dig you wear the wighat?

sunvalleylaw
July 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Cool! I also want to add a mando some day. They sound so cool in so many different styles of songs.

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sweet Brian!

I loves me some mando.

Dig you wear the wighat?

Haha, alas no. The wighat was misappropriated by a young lady at a gig afterparty one night, and was last seen in St. Augustine, Florida, about 100 miles away from here.

Guess I'll hafta break down and part with another twelve bucks.

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Cool! I also want to add a mando some day. They sound so cool in so many different styles of songs.

It was so funny-- my knowledge of it is so limited, but walking out the door I just got a message to bring it. I don't mess with karma. ;)

Afterward, my band director said next week to not bother bringing my bass (we do have one other bassist), but to make sure I brought the mando.

It's a cool sound, I love it. Just chording along with a litle fingerpick or flatpick sounds tres cool.

evenkeel
July 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Krash, you've got some serious stones.

You "don't really play mando" but you have the guts to jump in, no practice and play for 300 people+/-.

Very cool, maybe a little crazy, but way cool. :master: :bravo:

Brian Krashpad
July 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Krash, you've got some serious stones.

You "don't really play mando" but you have the guts to jump in, no practice and play for 300 people+/-.

Very cool, maybe a little crazy, but way cool. :master: :bravo:

Haha, no, that was no biggie, but thanks. 4 chords, man! That's just fun stuff. Mando sounds so cool!

It wasn't like I was winging a solo or playing bass for Bo Diddley with no rehearsals or something.

sumitomo
July 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Very cool.I have been messin around with the Charango I brought back from South America it is very much the same.Sumi:D

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Ein Wunderbar mandolinen, mein deutsch is nicht so gut aber vielliecht kännen wie der mandolinmusiken hören auf ein mp3? :D

tot_Ou_tard
July 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Haha, alas no. The wighat was misappropriated by a young lady at a gig afterparty one night, and was last seen in St. Augustine, Florida, about 100 miles away from here.

Yeah, I thought I saw a "Missing Wighat" picture on a milk carton.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Brian Krashpad
July 6th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Yeah, I thought I saw a "Missing Wighat" picture on a milk carton.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Danke!

In other news, a helpful poster on another forum has informed me that the actual term for mando-player is Mandolinespieler.

So there's your German-language instruction for the day! I is very edumacational.

street music
July 6th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Brian, if I could ever get good at guitar I would love to try the mandolin as I do like the music played on one by several artist. I'm just not that talented and I admit the fact.

Brian Krashpad
July 6th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Brian, if I could ever get good at guitar I would love to try the mandolin as I do like the music played on one by several artist. I'm just not that talented and I admit the fact.

Oh now, it's just chords and strumming. Your fingers still have the same muscle memory, so you can make the chord changes just as quick as on guitar, all you have to do is remember where to put them and get used to the dinky fretboard. At least, that's all that's necessary to strum chords like I did today. I'd love to get good at it but the odds of that are not at all good. Still, it's a different sound to add to the band, and that's fun in itself.

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Oh now, it's just chords and strumming. Your fingers still have the same muscle memory, so you can make the chord changes just as quick as on guitar, all you have to do is remember where to put them and get used to the dinky fretboard. At least, that's all that's necessary to strum chords like I did today. I'd love to get good at it but the odds of that are not at all good. Still, it's a different sound to add to the band, and that's fun in itself.

I love that attitude about you Brian! It gives me hope and frees me up/reminds me to take it less seriously. (That darn competitive streak in me). After all, it is just playing music. Going after it, even with less than full knowledge, isn't going to break anything (unless you do it Townshend style). And it is more fun that way!

Brian Krashpad
July 7th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I love that attitude about you Brian! It gives me hope and frees me up/reminds me to take it less seriously. (That darn competitive streak in me). After all, it is just playing music. Going after it, even with less than full knowledge, isn't going to break anything (unless you do it Townshend style). And it is more fun that way!

Haha, thanks. I think that attitude is the result of a combination of a couple different things. The major thing is of course the whole punk rock/DIY ethic. When I was coming up, if that was the sort of thing you were into, if you let the existing way of doing things have too much sway, you were pretty much toast. Venues in town in general did not want to host bands playing that sort of music. No venues? Make your own. Play house parties, or rent a hall and put on a show. Hmm, no PA? Or one that was woefully inadequate? Figure out a way to use your existing gear in lieu of proper PA, or in addition to your inadequate one. Bass player quit? Switch from guitar to bass.

Even once we actually had a club that'd let us play, the DIY nature of it meant that what everybody else assumed to be inviolable rules didn't apply. 3 bands on the bill? The house would often let the bands work out who played when (I'm not sad to see that practice fade into history) rather than set the order in stone. I can't count how many times the soundman asked "Hey Bri, watch the board for a couple minutes while I clear the glasses off these tables." The whole approach was much more "we're in this together" and "we're all friends here" than in many other scenes.

Even prior to the whole punk rock/DIY thing though, my introduction to playing music was not really ever focused on achieving certain techniques or such. My dad and his buddies would get together and play folk music for hours at one of their houses, or out camping. It wasn't hard to play, or to sing, but everybody had fun. When I first taught myself to play, the first place I played in front of people was in high school in an inter-denominational youth group called Young Life. Same type vibe, meeting in one another's homes and singing songs, among friends.

That's all I've ever really wanted to do, as a result. Have fun. Anything over and above that is all win. If you'd have told me back in high school that I'd ever write a song, I probably would've laughed. And I definitely would've thought the idea of being in a band (much less dozens of bands over the years) and performing original music in clubs and on recordings, or playing in front of a church full of people, hilarious.

Jimi75
July 8th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Danke!

In other news, a helpful poster on another forum has informed me that the actual term for mando-player is Mandolinespieler.

So there's your German-language instruction for the day! I is very edumacational.

I don't know which forum it was, btu they can not have been German *lol*

"Ich bin ein Mandolinenspieler".

Here you go!