PDA

View Full Version : Blues Turnarounds - lick 2

Robert
July 5th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Ok, so I tried a different production style on this one. Please let me know what you think. The Turnarounds #1 had no speaking at all, but nice closeups. This one has more speaking, and I even wrote a script before talking this time - first time I've ever done that!

So which method do you like and think is best?

I used the SX SST62 here, with my Heatseeker 18 and the DVM Zonkin' Yellow Screamer.

Someone said it's easier to see what the fingers are doing on a maple fretboard compared to a rosewood fretboard - do you agree?

CwcgVYiCtno

sunvalleylaw
July 5th, 2009, 11:42 PM
Nice Robert! I am a verbal person (could you tell from my posts?). So I like a little verbal explanation. Style of learning issue. I like the repeat visual of the other lick lesson, but I like a little verbal added in along with it. The script for explanation was good, but I think your intro and outro is more natural unscripted, and more of your good personality comes through. Very excellent as always of course! And thank you.

EDIT: I don't think it matters a lick (pun intended) which fretboard you are using. I can see the fingering on both just fine. :AOK: :AOK:

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks Steve, I am not sure I understand the part of visual repeat - what am I doing in the previous one that I am not doing in this one?

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Sure Robert, I will try to explain better. I was posting late after doing interior painting basically all weekend. What I was trying to say is that I really like the visuals of the other vid, but I personally like having the verbal explanation added on. I thought this verbal explantation was very helpful and a good addition to your filming and recording of the lesson.

The only "criticism" I would give is to script only the substance of the lesson and be more free with your intro and outro.

I just had an idea: One thing you might consider trying is doing a bit of the first lick lesson style before any speech at all, then do a quick intro, do the verbal explanation portion, and outro, then close with running the lick being played again.

I am going to watch both styles one more time and make sure I am making sense.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Are you saying the close-ups of left and right hand only in the first video should be included in the 2nd video, to make it better?

I figured it was such a simple and clear lick that there would be no need for separate close-ups of left and right hand. Am I wrong?

Blaze
July 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM
No talkin for me , playin it at different speeds so people can listen & watch in loop to get it slowly ..No need to talk ..

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Are you saying the close-ups of left and right hand only in the first video should be included in the 2nd video, to make it better?

I figured it was such a simple and clear lick that there would be no need for separate close-ups of left and right hand. Am I wrong?

Let me start over. I am going to watch again and be clear. All I really wanted to say is that I like a little verbal explanation. I am going to watch again and see if I can string a couple of sentences together that make sense. ;)

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Ok, let me try this again. I personally like a little verbal explanation to know the why/what and how of what is going on. But, I think the way you start the 1st lesson really draws a person in. So, I think my favorite way would be for you to start by showing the lick like you did in the first lesson (I like seeing both hands, but both or separate would depend on how complex it is and is really a separate question. Again, I think that just depends on how complex a move you are demonstrating), then after the nonverbal part you do your quick verbal intro, and say "OK, Now let's break it down and see what is going on in this lick" like you did in the second one, do your explanation. I as a relatively new player like that because you tell me what is going on which I find helpful in figuring out why you are doing it that way, and maybe helps me to understand so I can craft my own licks.

Then close with the the non verbal film of the lick playing again. You could do a verbal outro at the end of the verbal explanation, or just close it as you do in the first lick lesson, with text at the end. That way, it is the best of both worlds, and more experienced players like Blaze can skip the verbal part and just focus on the filmed part. Does that make any sense?

sumitomo
July 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM
That was good,and talking in some of you lessons is good also,some people need to know what string,fret ect. and you get to plug the all important dolphinstreet.But the close ups and different camera angles are just great(from the first vid)what different angle shots do is it grabs attention when it shifts and refocus interest.Great job keep 'em comming.Sumi:D

piebaldpython
July 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Excellent lesson Robert. I second all of SVL's comments too. I like the verbal because it reinforces what I am watching. I am not skilled enough to just look at what you are doing and immediately KNOW what certain things are. Keep up the outstanding work.