PDA

View Full Version : Need masonry advice

Spudman
July 6th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Does anyone have experience with doing masonry work?
How do you keep the morter from cracking after you set it? I've got it about the consistency of peanut butter and use a grout bag. Once it starts drying it gets cracks.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Spud, I'm a trained bricklayer - believe it or not. What kind of masonry are you doing? More details please.

Spudman
July 6th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I'm just filling in some missing morter on my chimney and some other spots on the property.

I'm using white cement and a little regular gray morter mix and a dash of color. I'll fill the holes and then as the morter is drying I'll see cracks through it. How come I don't see that anywhere on the rest of the brick work? How do I prevent it from cracking as it dries?

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM
You would need to remove more of the original mortar and THEN add your new mixture. It is not like glue. Mortar needs to have enough room and to go between bricks, or else it will not do anything but crack (you up).

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
You would need to remove more of the original mortar and THEN add your new mixture. It is not like glue. Mortar needs to have enough room and to go between bricks, or else it will not do anything but crack (you up).

Oh you guys crack me up.. :rotflmao:

Spudman
July 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM

Of course I remove all the old dust and then wash the bricks down so the morter will have a clean surface to stick too. It still cracks.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You need enough SPACE for the mortar. It won't work very well just to fill in some cracks with it. Unless they are HUGE cracks. Got it, grasshopper?

Now I am off to crack some eggs so I can make :pancake: for supper.

Algonquin
July 6th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Taken from an online DIY site...

'Use a damp rag or sponge to keep the mortar joints moist for about four days. This ensures that the mortar will cure properly so that it doesn’t crack'

sunvalleylaw
July 6th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Use a little toothpaste to fill in the cracks. ;-)

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Maybe you can take a picture of the issues and post here? It might be easier to help solve your crack problems then. :)

Heywood Jablomie
July 6th, 2009, 04:23 PM
If you Google brick pointing, you'll find a lot of info

Kazz
July 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM

'Use a damp rag or sponge to keep the mortar joints moist for about four days. This ensures that the mortar will cure properly so that it doesn’t crack'

This is what the guys from this old house suggest too

just strum
July 6th, 2009, 04:34 PM

Now to convince the wife she has to stay on the roof for four days.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 04:43 PM

Hilarious! :D :bravo: :rotflmao:

Spudman
July 6th, 2009, 05:47 PM

Or me. I got other stuff to do.:thwap:

Algonquin
July 6th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Or me. I got other stuff to do.:thwap:
You could always snap photo's of guitars while you're up there :AOK:
I've been meaning to ask... what height do you set your lawnmower in order to avoid excess shredding? :rockon:

Spudman
July 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I've been meaning to ask... what height do you set your lawnmower in order to avoid excess shredding? :rockon:

I had Vinnie make me a special V pick mower blade so no worries. It's totally under control.