PDA

View Full Version : Vox VT-50

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I visited the music store with a friend today and tried out the new Vox VT line.. I was so impressed with the Vox-30! Unfortunately it didnt have enough headroom for my needs so I ordered the Vox VT-50 and its due to arrive this week... Those VT amps really sound great, I compared the AC30TB channel to a real AC30 CC and it wasnt a lot of difference at all..
:beer: :AOK: :) :pancake:

marnold
July 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
I've heard great things about them. They definitely listened to their customers with some of the changes/upgrades from the ADxxVT line. If I were in the market for a new amph right now, I'd give the VT line a long look.

Robert
July 6th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Sweet! The Vox grabbed our SuperSwede it seems! Made you flip open that credito card again... ;)

I gotta try these amps myself one day.

SuperSwede
July 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I was in the market for a new amph anyway, but this was to my ears so much better than the previous versions so I abandoned my thoughts on buying a AC15 CC that they had for about the same money...

I would have gone for the 30 watt model if it didnt "fart out" so quickly when I raised the volume.. and its nice to have the ext.cab out as well.

Algonquin
July 6th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Very nice SuperSwede :AOK:
You'll be making friends with the neighbors all over again in no time!
Enjoy the new gear...
Cheers :beer:
David

street music
July 6th, 2009, 04:49 PM
CONGRATS SWEDE, that was my second choice, I just felt the Acoustosonic setting the FEnder was what made my final choice, I know there are some on here that use acoustic guitars but I do quite often.

MichaelE
July 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the new amp. You'd probably like the AC50 CP2 if you could find one to try out.

Hard to find now. I don't know if VOX discontinued this amp or not, but if they did, it only had a three year run. It's a very good amp with good tone.

tot_Ou_tard
July 6th, 2009, 08:10 PM
So what is different from the AD**VT line other than some new amph models?

marnold
July 6th, 2009, 09:40 PM
So what is different from the AD**VT line other than some new amph models?
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/new-upgraded-vt-chrome-range-announced-due-end-2008-t2182.html
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/new-vt-series-amp-models-t2464.html
http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/voxman-s-review-of-the-new-valvetronix-vt30-t2444.html#p14469

tot_Ou_tard
July 7th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks Marnold, VOXMAN's review was interesting.

Here are some video reviews from him.

VFgyt4Pqfyw

FDfkhiFwugQ

SuperSwede
July 8th, 2009, 12:32 PM
http://www.box.net/shared/a144gorj04

It arrived today! What a heavy amp (both sound and physical weight!)..

I had just a short time to play around with it but I am REALLY impressed so far... The AC50CP2 amp is sooo nice :)

SuperSwede
July 8th, 2009, 02:42 PM
*update*

I got a little time for myself and decided to play some VT50 at low volume (kids are asleep).. When I turned it on I heard a fan spinning, does the older adXXvt amps have fans? I can understand why since the area where the tube sits gets rather hot after a while, the tube is definately hotter in this than in the tonelab.

Played around with the classic valvetronix Botique OD model, thats a really cool sound! Another great amp model is the UK90´s, it can go from almost clean to full crunch..

Robert
July 8th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Yes, the ADxxVT also has a fan.

marnold
July 8th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, the ADxxVT also has a fan.
Was that just the 50s or bigger? If my 30 has one, I've never seen/heard it.

Robert
July 8th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Was that just the 50s or bigger? If my 30 has one, I've never seen/heard it.

Oh, could be. The 50 has one, I just assumed the smaller ones had that too.

Kawa
July 22nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Hi Swede :) I´m watching the vt50 for long time and i can´t find good review of this amp :) Could you make short one?

tot_Ou_tard
July 22nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
My 30 does not have a fan either.

ibanezjunkie
July 22nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
its a shame they didnt make an upgraded version of the AD100VTH head, or id be all over it.

i guess it would be called the VT100H.

Kawa
July 24th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Finally :) An oficial demo of vt series :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmci_K3CKc

marnold
July 24th, 2009, 07:52 AM
The Octave effect seems to have really good tracking. I'm glad they dumped the auto-wah for it. The flanger still sounds as overpowering with hi-gain as ever.

The same shop where I bought my AD30VT has a VT50 in stock. I may have to drag my guitar down there one of these days.

Robert
July 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I need to go test these! Sounds really good and this will be a new top seller for Vox, I am sure!

SS, are the effects good? From what I heard from that demo, some of them sound alright, but I am not sure I like the swirly/swooshy sounds. Same with the ADxxVT series.

bigG
July 24th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Thankfully, not the least of which for financial reasons, I'm happy w my AD50VT. Has enough bells n whistles for my liking. BUT, if I hadn't bought the AD50VT, I would definitely spring for the VT50!

I've loved Vox since the 60s, and their rebirth/popularity does my heart good! :D

SuperSwede
July 24th, 2009, 02:25 PM
First I would like to say that the official youtube demo sounds NOTHING like the real thing, it sounds a lot like line out recording (which sounds about the same as the older ADxxVT series.. )

The effects aint half bad, certainly better than the ADxxVT effects, you can do a lot with the editing knobs (although it is a bit difficult to operate since you are supposed to combine the edit knob with the bypass and/or tap button for different functions).

The delays are are nice, especially the tape delay, the phaser/flanger/chorus is perhaps not the greatest that I´ve heard but they are usuable.. What I really like is the tremolo and the rotary speaker effects, they are really good sounding..

The reverb is great and so is the octave and pitch shifter (awesome tracking!).

Kawa
July 29th, 2009, 06:41 AM
I think it´s good amp :) It´s a shame that they didn´t make 50 watt version with 2x12 speakers :) It would be awesome. But anyway, Is it sounds good with one 12” ?

SuperSwede
July 30th, 2009, 06:00 AM
I think it´s good amp :) It´s a shame that they didn´t make 50 watt version with 2x12 speakers :) It would be awesome. But anyway, Is it sounds good with one 12” ?

Enough to blast your head off at full volume.. and it sounds good! But I dont think that the original speaker is much to write home about so I´m probably going to replace it or get a ext cab.

Kawa
July 30th, 2009, 02:31 PM
So is it worth to buy this amplifier? Good deal ?

SuperSwede
August 1st, 2009, 12:51 AM
So is it worth to buy this amplifier? Good deal ?

I think so but it all depends what you want.. its the best of the modeling amphs imho. And the 50watter seems to have the best headroom vs price ratio of the VT series.

Kawa
August 1st, 2009, 05:40 AM
I´m looking for modeling amp. And i also think that vox is the best one :) Now i´m sure :) Thanks

SuperSwede
August 28th, 2009, 06:32 AM
I used the VT-50 when practicing with some guys and gals from work (we´re gonna play at the opening of our new department, basically a reason to drink and party at the police station ;)

I cranked the VT-50 at full 50 watts and it was way too loud with drums, two guitars, bass, keyboards and vocalists.. I had to keep the master down a lot!! Damn loud 50 watts!

The AC-50CP model sounded so damn good with a slight tremolo!

I had the option to hook it up to an old marshall 4x12 cab but the internal 12" vox speaker delivered some righteous sounds!

marnold
August 28th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Sweet! Glad you like it Swede. It looks like Vox really learned from the AD series and made some great improvements.

SuperSwede
August 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I love it Marnold, it sounds even better now since the speaker was a little "harsh" when it was brand new.. much softer sound now!

The vintage style amp models really sounds good but the metal style amps doesnt impress me at all... I´m not a metal player at all but I know how a 5150 sounds and the VT doesnt sound like that at all! I think its all about the internal speaker which I suspect is more like a AC30 speaker in character.

Rampant
August 29th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Hey folks

I was supposed to go on a guitar shop visit yesterday, with the intention of trying out the VT30. Sensei couldn't go in the end, but I dropped into a place in Nottingham on the way past with Mrs H. Not enough time to demo, but I'll be back there in a while. I'm thinking that a VT30 might just be the next purchase :)

Cheerz

Mark H

SuperSwede
September 16th, 2009, 11:21 AM
The "big" gig is tomorrow! We are going to play 8 songs and participate in a little "music quiz". The VT50 can hold its own against a medium sized PA system and when we rehearsed today it just CRIED out blue notes when I engaged the HT Drive.. man music is fun :)

WISH ME LUCK!

Tone2TheBone
September 16th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Good luck my friend!

Robert
September 16th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Rock your socks off, SS! :D

Have fun!

bigG
September 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Best of luck, SS! You have a great amp backin' you up! :beer:

SuperSwede
September 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
So finally the gig is over and I can say that I am more than satisfied with the VT50! It wasnt a big gig (about 50 people) but I really enjoyed the tones that came out of the amp, I used the AC50CP2 model with my HT Drive pedal and I didnt have to turn it up very much despite having a fairly loud drummer, bass, keyboard, vocals and a rhythm guitar.