PDA

View Full Version : Classic 30 owners current/former

Kazz
July 8th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I sold my C30 to a guy on Ebay and he tested it out today and when he turned the power switch off it made that popping noise. From the reading I have done I think this is very common with the C30. I remember this being discussed here before but I cannot find the thread to offer as proof. If you other C30 owners could weigh in on this it would be a great help to me. Also if you can point me to a link that will explain what is going on and why.

I believe technically it is just the output transformer bleeding off the left over voltage....

Spudman
July 8th, 2009, 12:39 PM
It is the norm. Tell him to switch channels before turning it off. It won't be as noticeable.

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds normal. Mine does it sometime when I am playing louder. I don't even bother changing the channels. The pop does not seem to do anything other than make a noise when shutting down. I think you can turn the volume all the way down to make it go away too if it bothers him, though I do not do that either.

Algonquin
July 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I've heard mine do it, and I don't consider it be an issue with the amp... just one of those things.

Most times though I kick in the tuner pedal to cut the signal, I unjack my guitar, then I turn off the amp so I never even hear the amp shutting down so to speak.

Kazz
July 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
it never bothered me..but I only played it at gig volumes maybe twice when the wife and kiddoes left me alone at the casa. I always turned it down very low before and unplugged the guitar and pedals before turning it off too.

TS808
July 8th, 2009, 07:11 PM
My Delta Blues 210 pops too when I turn it off. I've seen it on a number of different forums people having "trouble" with it.

just strum
July 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My AD30VT does it occasionally and so does my Black Heart. I just turn down the volume and cut off the sound at the ME50.

Come to think of it the Valve Jr does it, but putting it on stand-by takes care of it.

sunvalleylaw
July 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Come to think of it, my 24 year old Denon stereo receiver has always done the same thing (if a bit more softly) if I was playing it loudly. I do not think it is anything to worry about.

just strum
July 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I do not think it is anything to worry about.

If it is something to worry about, it looks like a lot of us here have a problem.

markb
July 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I've had lots of amps that do this. I've never found it anything to worry about.

MichaelE
July 9th, 2009, 03:10 PM
It could be cause by the type of switch they use in the amp.

There are make-before-break and break-before-make switches. These are also commonly known as shorting and non-shorting switches.

They may be using the latter. They could be using a non-shorting switch. The designers know which is best and why and I don't know enough about tube theory to explain why they use what they do.

I know the applications for which I use the switches, but they are not related to amplifiers. Tube or SS.