PDA

View Full Version : Boss AC-2 (Acoustic Simulator)

Algonquin
July 9th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I had a chance to recently demo a friends Boss AC-2 pedal and thought I'd through out some feedback here with what I thought were some strong and weak points.

I tested it with a PV C-30 and a Nashville Power Tele with the Fishman Piezo pickups. I've used the Piezo pickups through a Roland JC-120 before with decent results, but could never get a good acoustic sound through the tube PV C-30.

Using the AC-2 with the Peavey and the Tele's magnetic pickups, I couldn't get any tones on any of the settings (Standard, Jumbo, Enhance, Piezo) that really came close to resembling an acoustic. I know it's only a simulator, but it wasn't overly effective. I think the results of how well this pedal will work for you depends greatly on the amp you're using. With the PV... not so good, but may sound much better with yours, so you may want to try it prior to buying if you can.

Now when I used the pedal with the Tele's Piezo's on either the AC-2's Standard or Piezo settings, I got a really accurate acoustic sound coming out of the PV amp. It was articulate, open, and bright... maybe to bright. There is a control to reduce top end, so I'll just dial that down a bit or use an eq pedal for when and if I continue to use this pedal.

Has anyone else had any experience with the AC-2? I know they've released an updated version (AC-3) that uses their COSM technology, so that one may be a better pedal to look into if you're in the market.
Cheers :beer:
David

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I´ve only tried the AC-2 and I think it did a good job on delivering a "acoustic style" sound from a standard strat through a PA. No acoustic guitar sounds good through a electric guitar amp anyway.

Algonquin
July 9th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I'd have to agree that it would probably sound great with single coils through a PA, but for your everyday player using an amp at home... it might not deliver.

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2009, 10:04 AM
It would probably sound better through the JC120 tho, but I have to agree that these kind of pedals "aint there" yet.

Algonquin
July 9th, 2009, 10:08 AM
It would probably sound better through the JC120 tho' +1 on that. The JC is one of those amps that can do so many things so well. It's great with the piezo's without the AC-2, and I'll have to try it later on too. Keyboards and Synths sound great throug the JC as well :AOK:

SuperSwede
July 9th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Ahh nothing sweeter than a mellow JC, I sure miss my old 120 :)