PDA

View Full Version : What is Heaviest?

ibanezjunkie
July 10th, 2009, 09:58 AM
in metal, what speed/tone do you think is 'heaviest' ? fast/shred and lots of treble, or slow and chuggin' with hell loads of low end?

pes_laul
July 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
all depends on the bass, drums, and singing.

FrankenFretter
July 12th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Melvins!

tunghaichuan
July 12th, 2009, 01:16 PM
This is the heaviest album I've ever heard:

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/5/11/f_sacrifistcm_e17c881.jpg

Praxis Sacrifist

That album is like a jackhammer pounding a hole in your skull. It makes Slayer sound like John Denver. :dude:

tung

Plank_Spanker
July 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
This is the heaviest album I've ever heard:

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/4/5/11/f_sacrifistcm_e17c881.jpg

Praxis Sacrifist

That album is like a jackhammer pounding a hole in your skull. It makes Slayer sound like John Denver. :dude:

tung

The brootalz? :rotflmao:

tunghaichuan
July 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
The brootalz? :rotflmao:

Teh brootalz. :D

Tig
July 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Why, The Heaviest Matter in the Universe, of course!
OK, there's plenty heavier in various forms, but between the title and the depth of metal, I had to nominate this Gojira song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEy2ZwzOu2w

marnold
July 12th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hehe. You beat me to the punch, Tung.

just strum
July 12th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I was going to say Gibson LP. Maybe not the heaviest, but heavier than it should be.

marnold
July 12th, 2009, 03:08 PM
heavier than it should be.
Which would make a great name for a metal album.

Plank_Spanker
July 12th, 2009, 03:12 PM

I stand corrected! :rotflmao: :beer:

just strum
July 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Which would make a great name for a metal album.

Hey, it would!

Spudman
July 12th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Dream Theater's "Train Of Thought" is the heaviest I have in my collection.
For me I need melodic to go with my heavy or I get unhappy.

Suhnton
July 13th, 2009, 07:13 AM
all depends on the bass, drums, and singing.

Well put Kris. I don't think Guitar plays much of a role in determining heaviness.

ibanezjunkie
July 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
ahh but...heavily distorted, slow palm muted chords are pretty heavy...along with the right bass and drums...but clean fingerpicked fills even with metal backing wouldnt seem heavy :D

Tig
July 13th, 2009, 11:17 AM
Well put Kris. I don't think Guitar plays much of a role in determining heaviness.
...unless you're playing 8-string beasts
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n38/elmeier100/Meshuggah04.jpg
like Meshuggah.

marnold
July 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
In a lot of really heavy bands these days, the bass player is almost superfluous. When the guitarists are playing in drop-D two steps down, there's not much sonic room for bass. Some songs that define "heavy" for me wouldn't necessarily for others. Here's a few from my list:

Black Sabbath "Black Sabbath"
Judas Priest "The Sentinel"
Metallica "Seek and Destroy"
Megadeth "Wake Up Dead"
Dio "Last in Line"
Anthrax (with Public Enemy) "Bring the Noise"

I've never been much into black/death/doom/"Hi! I live in Norway!" metal, which is usually what I think of when "teh br00talz" are mentioned. Cookie Monster vocals are usually mandatory. I'm more of a power metal guy (even though none of those tracks I listed are power metal). I much prefer my metal with the mids intact. That along with a good bass player has more sonic impact to me than the whole downtune/scoop thing. But to each their own.

ibanezjunkie
July 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM
i go my own way with my metal...like Marnold i like my mids pretty high :D

Suhnton
July 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM
like Meshuggah.

See that's the thing. I think Meshuggah are quite brutal, but "heavy", I'm not too sure. I'm an old fart, but to my mind, heavy means "slow and plodding".

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:41 AM
i think Slayer - Raining blood is a pretty good example of heavy,

especially that long triplet riff after the intro.

thats some real chuggin' stuff - as kerry king puts it.

tunghaichuan
July 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM
d2NWy791nKM

Tig
July 14th, 2009, 01:07 PM
See that's the thing. I think Meshuggah are quite brutal, but "heavy", I'm not too sure. I'm an old fart, but to my mind, heavy means "slow and plodding".

Yep, I see (hear) what you mean. I remember in the mid-70's hearing early Black Sabbath as a kid and thought that was as heavy as it could get. It even scared me some!

For (semi)slow and plodding, I'd lean toward my favorite sludge metal band, Mastodon. "Iron Tusk" gets nice N heavy at 1:30 into the song.

W3HVLyI-t3E

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hey, that's Fredrik, my old pal from back home! We used to jam a lot back in the day. Meshuggah sure chews and grinds pretty good.

Suhnton
July 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Yep, I see (hear) what you mean. I remember in the mid-70's hearing early Black Sabbath as a kid and thought that was as heavy as it could get. It even scared me some!

For (semi)slow and plodding, I'd lean toward my favorite sludge metal band, Mastodon. "Iron Tusk" gets nice N heavy at 1:30 into the song.

W3HVLyI-t3E

I'm quite fond of Mastodon, especially "Blood Mountain". I love the way the drums kick off that album. It reminds me of the SFX they used for the cars on The Flintstones :)

Robert, Umea seems to be a breeding ground for metal talent. Is it a small rural town?

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Umea has about 75,000 people. Lots of heavy bands from there, yep. My old home... I am going back for a visit next year.

pes_laul
July 16th, 2009, 09:52 AM
like Meshuggah.
Oh balls! Instead of playing that why foesnt he just play bass:poke:

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
because you can rip a sweep picked solo from a bass, can you ;)

pes_laul
July 16th, 2009, 11:43 AM
because you can rip a sweep picked solo from a bass, can you ;)
if your any good you can

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 01:38 PM
if your any good you can

maybe i havent seen many good bassists then :rotflmao:

would be understandable, since theres only 2 good guitarists in this part of hitchin, one of them being me and the other being a weird guy whos like 17 or something, who plays a mex strat through a pod XT live and a roland piano amp.