PDA

View Full Version : Full overhaul - moddin' a POS

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Here's a picture collection of a project I did a while back based on an 80's Charvette. I picked it up in horrid shape for a hundred or so, because the neck seemed razor sharp despite the age...and this is how it turned out.

I've done several similar projects but this included the most radical solutions and changes. And I dunno why but this axe is hands down the best electric guitar I have ever tried, period. I have had/played several guitars...I used to think the '92 Gibson LP or a li'l older PRS or a 100% or the custom-built strat or the 80's Jackson or even were really good guitars, but this simply kicks their butt. Extreme playability, extreme lightness and responsivity yet great sustain and a thick sound, also acoustically. And it's the only guitar I ever had that REALLY keeps its tune despite temp/humidity changes and all. I've since sold all my other axes and just use this or the two follow-up mod project axes only (which are quite good but just don't compare anyway). I just wish I could do a similarly good one some day again, but it's all custom right down to re-shaped (used to be U) tight V neck profile and all.

..lets see how the file attachment works...

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 12:51 PM
So the project goes on like this...

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 12:52 PM
:rockon:

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 12:54 PM
:thwap:

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 12:57 PM
:poke: :poke:

marnold
July 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Wow! That's quite a project. What kind of bridge is that?

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It's a fixed (no trem) Schaller roller bride...adjusts every possible way (except curvature has to match). Fits a regular Gibson as replacement too.

duhvoodooman
July 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
WOW!! :eek: Some impressive work there, Dee! Nicely done!! :AOK: :dude: :bravo:

sunvalleylaw
July 10th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Well that is just really, really cool looking! Is it featured on some of your recordings you posted?

kiteman
July 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM
That's some thick heel you got.

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Well that is just really, really cool looking! Is it featured on some of your recordings you posted?

Yeah, almost all of them since it was finished. All Crankenhaus stuff at least.

EDIT: Actually found this test vid clip of it when it was first just done. Straight into a Valve Jr/homemade 10" speaker that's a little attenuated, no FX or anything:

http://deeaa.pp.fi/Charv/charvedte.wmv

deeaa
July 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
That's some thick heel you got.

It's the standard heel as in strats etc. that. It perhaps looks a little bigger than it is, as the guitar otherwise is smaller than a strat :-)

marnold
July 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
It's a fixed (no trem) Schaller roller bride...adjusts every possible way (except curvature has to match). Fits a regular Gibson as replacement too.
The reason I asked was that it appeared to be fixed, but in the picture of the back it still had the springs and claw in it.

kiteman
July 11th, 2009, 08:29 AM
It's the standard heel as in strats etc. that. It perhaps looks a little bigger than it is, as the guitar otherwise is smaller than a strat :-)

I think it's thick because your fretboard is pretty high off the body.

sunvalleylaw
July 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
Looks and sounds like a darn fun unit! Nice work! and I like the shape of the body and look of the headstock too.

deeaa
July 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I think it's thick because your fretboard is pretty high off the body.

Oh yeah, that too...it's thinner than a strat too, and all the thickness removed is off the front side. So proportionally the heel thickness versus the front side of the body remaining thickness would seem more.

I have a strat w/similar setup...although it uses a standard strat trem bridge, the bridge is really high and there's much more room between the strings and the pickguard than on a strat ( I shaved some 1/3" off the front ).

That Strat I built...I did it to address all that is wrong with a normal strat. A normal strat is just a bit too big, it has practically no clearance between the strings and the pickguard and the controls and their positions suck IMO. So I built a strat with none of those, but it still looks like a strat basically (except the 3-way switch on the upper horn.

Here's a pic of it as attachment...however, since that pic I changed the Sybmour/P94/single config into an EMG85/SA config with two pots and put in a white pickguard.

Looks like a strat but even the pickguard is completely different shape and size.

WHile I'm at it I'll also include a pic of my 3rd project; a white flying-V with a custom birdseye maple neck. I always wanted a white V so I built this and my friend made me the neck; it's really sturdy and solid.

Well actually I have this pic with all the three in their current form...here. LOL I guess I have a preference to white guitars :-) they're off-white though, kinda eggshell or something. I picked the color from VW automotive colors chart, all use the exact same paint :)

deeaa
July 11th, 2009, 12:29 PM
The reason I asked was that it appeared to be fixed, but in the picture of the back it still had the springs and claw in it.

Ah! Yes, indeed...initially it just had the hole for them, and I figured I'd try and see what difference it makes to install some springs, even though they aren't connected to but wood either side...and it DOES make a small difference, especially acoustically. In any case, I ain't touching the config no more, it's so close to perfect as can be, whatever the reason...its just an axe where everything fell into place. I've had some pretty high class players try it and they all go just about nuts over it and I've had some nice offers for it also but I ain't ever selling it...it just works like magic. Whatever guitar I play and then get back to the 'Davette' as I call it, it's just insane how delightful it is to play and how responsive it is to play. I just wish I knew why, none of my other projects have that extra magic...it's one of a kind for sure. And it used to be a beat-up Charvette!

Tibernius
July 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM
WHile I'm at it I'll also include a pic of my 3rd project; a white flying-V with a custom birdseye maple neck. I always wanted a white V so I built this and my friend made me the neck; it's really sturdy and solid.

Is that a set neck or a bolt-on?

deeaa
July 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Is that a set neck or a bolt-on?

Bolt-on, a set neck would be impractical in such a guitar. I want to be able to swap necks...I also have a very thin maple/rosewood neck for it.

I have nothing against set-neck guitars, my main axe for almost 13 years was a Gibson LP standard I hand-picked for myself when I worked for a guitar store, but I see no benefits to it either and many problems in project guitars like these.

Kazz
July 12th, 2009, 10:19 AM
You do very nice work Dee....very impressed.

deeaa
July 12th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks Katz! As they say, with a little help from my friends...it helps to have a luthier friend giving tips and help :-)