PDA

View Full Version : Let's Hear It Once More For GAS!

r_a_smith3530
August 15th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Yeah, the GAS bug hit again! Joining my growing stable of bass guitars is a Peavey Foundation 4-string Bass, crafted in USA, circa mid-1990s. It features an Alder body in "Arrest Me Red," Peavey's Bi-Laminated Eastern Maple neck (Maple board), and a pair of Super Ferrite single coil pickups. It has a 1.5" topnut width with a nut made from Graphlon. The neck reminds me of some Ibanez necks, and it is quite fast.

The previous owner performed major dental surgery on the bass, so it is now "toofless." This is my second bass sans frets, and I'm really getting to like them. I was worried about versatility, but the slab board bass seems to do everything it fretted bretheren do with fairly equal aplomb. This is my first maple board bass. It sounds somewhat brighter than its Rosewood board stand mates. I think it will make a real good funk machine.

I will probably end up swapping out the bridge and tuners on this one. As a change of pace (from Quan bridges that is), I'd like to try Schaller's Roller Bridge. For tuners, I'll probably end up with either Schaller or Gotoh with a Hipshot Bass Extender Key so I can drop tune "E".

Anyway, I'm looking forward to much fun with this new bass. The next GAS attack needs to come in an amp direction!

Robert
August 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Congrats! Sounds like a fun dental patient you received.

r_a_smith3530
August 15th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Yeah, it's in pretty good shape seeing that it is over ten years old and Peavey's aren't usually treated like heirlooms (except for my Reactor of course). The face is in real nice shape, while the back has some very minor scratches. There is a little chipping by the jack input on the body's edge, not unexpected on a working guitar. The neck has a real nice satin-y finish, and the person I got it from did a damned good job of filling in the fret slots.

Like a Fender Jazz, it has two volumes and one shared tone control. I'm not getting a lot of variance out of the tone control at present and believe that it may be a bad pot. It is a little scratchy as well, so a replacement is in its future.

I just dug out a Peavey padded bass strap with red flames on it that looks prefect with this rig. Yep, fun it's going to be!

SuperSwede
August 16th, 2006, 03:28 AM
Rob, you will slowly transform into a groovy Bootsy Collins look-a-like ;)

Peace!

r_a_smith3530
November 4th, 2006, 06:57 AM
My "Arrest Me Red" toofless Peavey Foundation...

tot_Ou_tard
November 4th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Funkalicious!

Sooo, how hard is it to play toofless & why are there not many toofless guitars?

sunvalleylaw
November 4th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Congrats Rob! Looks really fun. I dont' know anything about basses, but I have come to really like guitars with a nice maple neck. :D

Tim
November 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Funkalicious!

Sooo, how hard is it to play toofless & why are there not many toofless guitars?

Yea? How do you play a bass that had tooths but now has no tooths?

r_a_smith3530
November 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Yea? How do you play a bass that had tooths but now has no tooths?

Same as you'd play a bass that never had no toofs to begin wiff!
:R :R

Wiff yo finners, of course!!!
:R :R

Actually, going to fretless was nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be. That said, remember that both of my fretless basses have fret lines which make it easier. Lately though, I have taken to practicing at times in the dark, which makes me rely upon my ear, and not my eye, for correct intonation of my notes.

Fretless sounds much more akin to a stand-up bass

Rob

marnold
November 9th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Funkalicious!

Check out this guy's site (http://www.guitarius.net/). He plays a Strat that he had de-toofed. Sound clips are also available, natch.