PDA

View Full Version : Strat neck specifications?

tremoloman
August 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Does anyone know of an online resource that has the specifications for Fender Stratocaster necks?

I'm thinking of trying out a Jackson and want to compare it's neck dimensions against my current fleet of Fender guitars to see which it most resembles. Fender's site doesn't mention neck thickness from what I can tell. This is the most important specification for me since I've got carpel tunnel syndrome and need a neck with some thickness to it.

I'll post the neck specs from the guitar I've been looking at to see if any of you know what it closely resembles:
Neck Thickness 1st Fret: .775”, 12th Fret: .910”
Width At Nut 1-11/16”
Compound (12” to 14”) Fingerboard RadiusIf you can help, I'd really appreciate it! Nobody seems to have this guitar in stock near me and I've really close to pulling the trigger on it. It's only a $269 guitar, so I could take a chance and just sell it if I don't like it I suppose.

Katastrophe
August 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
I believe the original specs for a Fender Strat are 1 5/8" nut width with a 7.25" radius and 21 frets. More modern versions have a 9.5" radius neck, and there are a couple models (Eric Johnson Sig, Deluxe Player Strats) that have a 12" radius. Warmoth lists their "Total Vintage" line of Strat necks as having a 1" thickness, but I'm unsure if that's original Fender spec.

I could be wrong, though.:D

marnold
August 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I believe the original specs for a Fender Strat are 1 5/8" nut width with a 7.25" radius and 21 frets. More modern versions have a 9.5" radius neck, and there are a couple models (Eric Johnson Sig, Deluxe Player Strats) that have a 12" radius. Warmoth lists their "Total Vintage" line of Strat necks as having a 1" thickness, but I'm unsure if that's original Fender spec.

Fenders are all over the board now. My Showmaster actually has a 16" radius! That's Ibanez/Jackson territory.

TS808
August 16th, 2006, 06:25 PM
The closest I could find was the "Licensed by Fender" Mighty Might strat necks.

Here are the specs:

Specifications are as follows:
# Scale length is 25 1/2"
# Radius: 9.5"
# Nut width: 1.7" (nut is pre-slotted)
# Thickness at 1st fret: .77"
# Thickness at 12th fret: .85"
# Heel pocket depth: 1"
# Heel pocket width: 2 3/16"

I couldn't find much on original Fender necks.