PDA

View Full Version : Strat trem setup (what a difference a day makes)

SuperSwede
July 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I´d almost given up on my strat trem, it just couldnt handle more than a gentle vibrato before getting my guitar out of tune.. SO i let a luthier take a look at it and he did a full setup and widened the nut slots...

The whammy bar can now be used to full effect and I have yet not been able to get it out of tune, even after a sweaty JCM800 session with lots of dive bombs! :D

And the setup was perfect as well, the guitar is smooth as butter now! :AOK:

Plank_Spanker
July 12th, 2009, 01:45 PM
An excellent setup is just what the doctor ordered. Glad you're loving your Strat again, man. :D

WackyT
July 12th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Ran into the same problem with my Partsocaster. After I added a fourth spring and widened, not deepened the string slots in the nut, she's a lot better also. Also, use a good lubricant like Big Bends Nut Sauce.

sunvalleylaw
July 12th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Cool! If I ever start using my trem bar, I may have to look in to that!

SuperSwede
July 13th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I´ve played on many good strats but none of the played as good as mine does now.. :)

Tone2TheBone
July 14th, 2009, 09:23 AM
How are you adapting to the vintage radius neck on that guitar Swede? Has the extra space in the nut slots done anything to how the strings feel on the neck?

SuperSwede
July 14th, 2009, 10:00 AM
How are you adapting to the vintage radius neck on that guitar Swede? Has the extra space in the nut slots done anything to how the strings feel on the neck?

It did a lot to the feel! But mostly it increased the tuning stability when using the tremolo..

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Without a setup, any trem is going to be a nightmare, even my beloved double-locking ones. Glad you can be back in your happy place.

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 10:51 AM
What kind of Strat do you have? What kind of tremolo bridge?

SuperSwede
July 14th, 2009, 11:06 AM
What kind of Strat do you have? What kind of tremolo bridge?

Fender Blue Flower Stratocaster (basically a japanese ´57 reissue with flower finish)... the trem is the standard Fender vintage style.