PDA

View Full Version : Question for you “Viking Hags”

Radioboy950
July 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have not been able to get my hands on a Viking, which looks like a great, affordable semi-hollow…in the wild cherry finish, of course.

My concern is the neck. I’m not against the resin fretboard they use.
But based on some descriptions, it sounds like it has a very thin neck.

I’ll have to test one to know for sure, but I tend to like chunky Gibson-style set necks. I don't mind my Tele neck either. It feels more narrow, but not thin.

How would the Hag compare to those??

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
i am going to let Spud tell you how he thinks they compare with those other necks, as I have less experience than he does, esp. with those guitars. My other main axe is my strat, which has a 9.5 inch radius Modern C. That may be more similar to your tele I suppose, though I do not know the radius of your tele. I love both my strat neck and my Vik neck. Some other thin necked guitars felt more strange to me, like some of Spud's Ibanez's (not all, there are a couple over there I really like) with their super fast, thin necks. Those feel foreign to me. The Vik felt more at home in my hands, even though it is thinner, and I feel like I have a positive, secure connection with it while playing. Things like neck feel are very subjective, but I sure like it. My Vik review has some more of my comments there. Hope that helps!

BTW, I really like the resin fretboard. It is very easy playing and consistent. The only issue I had with the neck on my Vik was some very minor sharpness on the tops of the fret ends. Nothing to do anything about, but not quite as butter smooth as the neck on my strat. Other than that I love it.

Spudman
July 13th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I suggest you try one before you buy. Why? Because then you'll be hooked.;)

The neck is not too thin. It's definitely not baseball bat Tele or LP thick either. I find it extremely comfortable and fast. I don't have super long fingers, more like medium and the neck is really easy to play on. I don't feel like I need to adjust to the size when coming from any other of my guitars. I'd call it neutral in size. I will say that mine might be a little on the narrow size though and I like that a lot. No matter, it's a very easy neck to feel comfortable on. In fact after playing it for extended periods everything else feels odd by comparison.

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I agree with the size neutral idea. Somehow, it does not seem to require any adjustment, though it is clearly smaller than my strat. Also, it does not seem narrow to me in the least, and I have largish palms, and short to medium, thick fingers. Definitely not long and narrow. Mine look like working hands.