PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering, what type of music is your main thing?

Robert
July 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM
So I know Marnold is a metal man, Spud loves prog rock, and Sunvalley and Krash don't mind punk rock. As for me, I'm into blues/jazz/roots/etc, but what about the rest of you?

Care to share a few words of what type of music is your biggest passion, and perhaps why?

Improvisational music has always been the thing for me. I need that kind of room when I play, or else I will get bored. That's why I love jazz.

But, I also like a variety of music, for example, Jimi Hendrix, Deep Purple, Joni Mitchell, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Mr. Mister, Steve Vai, early TOTO, Porcupine Tree, Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Hiatt, Queen, Judas Priest, Prince, George Clinton, all the old blues legends, early Rainbow, Train, Chicago, Allan Holdsworth, early Van Halen, early Yngwie, John Scofield, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Bela Fleck, Tom Waits, early Michael Shenker Band, early Scorpions, Uli Jon Roth, Led Zeppelin, Paul Gilbert, Supertramp, John Mayer, Scott Henderson, Brent Mason, Albert Lee, Tom Petty, Ella Fitzgerald, Sting.... and the list goes on and on. Just to mention a few. :)

MichaelE
July 13th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I like progressive rock from the '70's and '80's. Also rock, hard rock, and some pop/rock from that era as well. I listen to very little current music.

I also like some of the New Wave stuff that came out of Britain in the '80's.

Never was into the Hair Bands of the eighties though. Never cared much for that bunch. They were all such gurly men.

Newer rock bands from about 1990 on don't appeal to me as much as the older bands.

tunghaichuan
July 13th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I seem to be all over the map. I like metal, but I like it darker and evil. I like some of the death metal from Scandanavia, such as Opeth and Dark Tranquility. I also like the band Amon Amarth, their Viking metal schtick kind of amuses me. Black Sabbath is another metal favorite.

I didn't like hair metal when it was popular in the 80s, but I like to listen to it sometimes I get nostalgic for my youth.

I also like Buckethead, who defies classification.

I like some country, including Steve Earle, Dwight Yoakam, Lyle Lovett and Johnny Cash.

The only blues I listen to nowadays is Johnny Winter and/or Muddy Waters.

I like David Lindley as well, who also is very stylistically diverse.

I can't stand to listen to classic rock anymore. It has been so over played, I just got very tired of it.

I'm not much into jazz. It just doesn't sound "right" to me.

tung

sunvalleylaw
July 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
I have my punk leanings definitely, that directly descend from my taste for early 60's (I said early not late) Beatles and Stones, which descended from Chuck Berry and the like, etc. When I developed my own taste for music (mid high school when I went hi-fi) and was really into it, that was one of the main veins I tapped from. . The above of course leads into The Clash, early Elvis Costello, the Ramones, etc., along with a bunch of college rock/alternative that may have been played on Seattle, SF or LA stations back in the 80s and 90s. That vein also has its garage band roots (kinks, etc.) and that broadens things again leading to grunge, ska, reggae, etc.

But I also developed at the same time I was into the Beatles/Stones a taste for jazz. Back then it was fusion, now it is more 50s/60s sounding jazz and its derivations. Blues filled the gaps between the two areas, and I particularly like blues with jazz tones and hints in it. Or jazz with blues tone and hints in it. Since I started guitar, I really love that area. I will say that I am not that much into the hard core old stuff though. Also since starting guitar, I "re-discovered" classic and prog rock that I was into before I got into the stuff I mentioned above. I also get burned out on a lot of that though.

So I also am all over the map, and you will find me liking some of about everything with few exceptions. But you will also be able to trace the roots of most of the stuff I regularly listen to back up those trees I just described.

There is a really thorough history of my musical roots (and a bunch of others here) that Jimi75 started sometime back also.

Spudman
July 13th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else. Mostly I lean toward Progressive, heavy blues, hard rock and Hanna Montana (just kidding). I enjoy Classical from time to time too along with ambient, Jazz and Raggae. My first choice is Progressive most of the time.

deeaa
July 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM
In short, I could sum I like any music that includes raunchy, rockin' guitars.
Also in short, I usually strongly dislike anything on mainstream radio.

From the softest end, I like Aimee Mann, Grateful Dead country albums, CCR...

From the biggest bulk I listen to, ACDC, Danko Jones, Iron Maiden, Priest, The Cult, Airbourne, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Ramones, Faith No More, Juliette and the Licks...

And from heavier end, Lamb of God, Megadeth, Pantera, Metallica, Motörhead...

Yeah, most anything with rockin' guitars work...many 80's hair bands are also great fun to listen to - party music.

I DON'T stomach much prog rock however, it's often just musical wankery in my book ;) , or blackmetal or other just-growl-vocal stuff...lamb of god/pantera is even too growly for my taste many a day..and also I can't stand 70's style hardrock no more, purple, zeppelin etc...it's so old and gone, played thru a zillion times (I've even sang in a few era bands and boy if I never hear any purple again I'll be happy.)

I'm soon 40 but I never felt like the best music was written years ago. I really really dig whatever new great stuff comes out from bands like Billy Talent, Danko, Foo...well, stuff that is never played on the radio but that still is out there if you know where to look.

Ascension
July 14th, 2009, 04:14 AM
I love Prog rock and metal . Stuff like Queens Reich, Dream Theater Veni Domini,Rush ect. I played that stuff throughout the 80's-mid 90's
However since 1995 all I have been doing is Worship stuff. We play everything between jump shout Black Gospel to traditional Black Gospel stuff with a choir to rock stuff that borders on Metal to Hymms. Personally I'm really into the modern guys like Rick Pino, Jason Upton, Morning Star,Christ For the Nations ect.
Here are some live recordings of what I do.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4939016
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7128664
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4453782
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5022591
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=4912436
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5049360

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:38 AM
shred, 80s, metal, prog metal, satanic metal (slayer), nu metal (slipknot, Korn), Industrial/Tanz Metall (rammstein), rock, old skool punk, blues rock, jazz fusion (Steel Dan), chicago blues, nashville etc.

i play all this stuff...because im a very diverse person. although i cannot stand 'MTV' music as i call it, crap like Paramore (:whatever:) or 'My Chemical romance (:whatever:)

duhvoodooman
July 14th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Blues, blues-rock, classic rock, some fusion stuff, bits & pieces of other styles as long as the guitar work is tasty. Definitely not into heavier types of metal, thrash, ultra-shreddy stuff. "If it's in drop D, it ain't for me." :D

kiteman
July 14th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I'm the old school of rock. That's the 70s and the 80s. Seems to me the best era of rock music. I wish to relive those eras.

The artists of the 60s are what got me started on the guitar and that included The Ventures and The Beatles.

Ro3b
July 14th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I don't even know how to begin answering that question. I'm all over the map. No, I'm on a bunch of different maps.

My roots are firmly in punk on the one hand and jazz (bebop and postbop) on the other. And I was a major Kiss fan when I was a kid, so I'm naturally drawn to any genre where there's fire and screaming.

OTOH, I'm still gigging primarily in the Irish trad world; I never listen to the stuff anymore (feels like bringing my work home with me) but the money is good and the pond is small. I can be really tiresome and cynical about it, actually.

I'm composing ambient electronic music, thoroughly strange and resolutely noncommercial. I'm fascinated by electronica in general, especially drum & bass and triphop.

I'm also loving what's going on in metal these days: bands like Mastodon, Kysela, Baroness. Weirdly, I was never much into metal before I was in my late 30s.

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Apparently my reputation precedes me :)

Anyway, yes metal is my main love. My favorite subgenres would be the so-called "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" aka Priest and Maiden, shred (Yngwie, MAB, Satch, et al), some 80s hair (yes to Dokken, Scorps, Queensryche, Whitesnake; no to Poison, Enuff Znuff, and their ilk), throw in a pinch of thrash (early Metallica and Anthrax), and garnish with some power metal (Yngwie here too, Dragonforce, I'd put Dio here as well).

I've also got a great love for blues and blues rock, although I tend to prefer the "My woman came back" blues to "My woman is gone/dead" blues. Mainly more modern guys like SRV and Joe Bonamassa, but also some of the classics like Albert and B.B. King, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters.

In third place there's a grab bag of things like 80s New Wave, any Baroque, Flamenco, and even the tiniest pinch of Jazz (Pat Methany). And I still don't have a category for two bands that I have a ton of albums by: Queen and They Might Be Giants. I even played in a Bluegrass band but I can't say I've got any albums.

I hate to post what I dislike because someone will take it personally. So don't. Anyway, I can't take NuMetal in any form, pop punk (I'm looking at you, Green Day and Blink 182--go back and listen to the Clash or the Ramones and then come back and talk to me), bubblegum pop, "College" music, anything with Cookie Monster-style vocals.

t_ross33
July 14th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else. Mostly I lean toward Progressive, heavy blues, hard rock and Hanna Montana (just kidding). I enjoy Classical from time to time too along with ambient, Jazz and Raggae. My first choice is Progressive most of the time.

I'll be the counter point here :rotflmao: I'd have to say that Country is my main interest, though this "New Country" (they've started calling it "Fresh Country" now - what the hell???) leaves quite a bit to be desired :whatever: On the plus side, I've always been drawn to singer/songwriter artists and the craft of lyric and melody and there is a trend in Nashville now to promote artists who write (and/or co-write) their own material. Heck, while nothing close to being a fan, I give Taylor Swift props for writing her own songs (she had a publishing deal at 14!).

I'm really digging the whole "Americana" scene right now, and am a big fan of Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, etc. etc. I love my homegrown Saskatchewan Indie artists, and Canadian classic rockers like Harlequin, April Wine, Prism, Trooper, the Guess Who and of course, RUSH!

Have even been known to listen to jazzy, experimental and prog-rock, but when it comes down to it I like music that engages me on some level, be it a cerebral experience or a beer-swillin' honky-tonkin good time. :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
July 14th, 2009, 08:47 AM
I like everything. When I pick up a guitar I rip blues so that ranks pretty high but I listen to anything. Country (old country and new), old school rock, real old school 50s/60s rock and rockabilly, folk guitar and vocal music, progressive rock, 60s hippy music which includes rock and folk and classical music with special emphasis on Baroque style chamber music. The one thing that I can't quite get my brain to enjoy is jazz. I can dig what they're doing but I can't listen to it for very long.

SuperSwede
July 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I love all kinds of music except modern dance music and that gangster hip hop which I dont get at all.

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 10:35 AM
For Spud's sake I should also mention that there's some Prog that I like too: Rush, old-school Yes, latter-day Savatage, etc.

R_of_G
July 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
My roots are firmly in punk on the one hand and jazz (bebop and postbop) on the other.

the same here, and i've often contended that one could draw a direct line from one to the other...

historically, it goes like this for me and i think someone like yourself will see what i mean...

bird --->

60's modal miles ---->

60's trane (esp with pharoah sanders) ---->

ayler, ornette (esp with james ulmer) and 70's miles (esp with pete cosey and sonny sharrock) ---->

the mc5, stooges, beefheart ---->

almost every punk band of the 70's (esp the voidoids and television) ---->

the post punk scene of the uk in the later 70's early 80's (esp wire and joy division) ---->

gregg ginn's (balck flag), d boon(minutemen), and hüsker dü---->

the new york no wave scene of the 80's (especially sonic youth and dna) ----->

john lurie's lounge lizards and marc ribot's rootless cosmopolitans ---->

john zorn's naked city band, anything marc ribot does (esp spiritual unity and shrek)

sorry for the history tangent but someone here once asked me to elaborate on the comment i've made previously linking jazz and punk, and this seemed as good a time as any.

so to answer the question of this thread, i think i just did.

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wow. I would have thought jazz and punk was as far apart as you can get. Hmm. No offense meant, but I have always thought most punk musicians have little knowledge of theory and improvisation, whereas the jazz musician is the opposite. At least the punk music I have heard give me that impression. Maybe some stereotype thinking got to me, or do I have a point? Again, nothing ill mean meant here, just thinking out loud... I cry your pardon if I offended Roland or anyone else.... ;)

R_of_G
July 14th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Wow. I would have thought jazz and punk was as far apart as you can get. Hmm. No offense meant, but I have always thought most punk musicians have little knowledge of theory and improvisation, whereas the jazz musician is the opposite. At least the punk music I have heard give me that impression. Maybe some stereotype thinking got to me, or do I have a point? Again, nothing ill mean meant here, just thinking out loud... I cry your pardon if I offended Roland or anyone else.... ;)

it's not the least bit offensive robert. i think it's a perfectly legitimate question and one i hear all the time.

i think that while the knowledgeless punk musician is often the case, it's not exclusive. gregg ginn, guitarist and founder of black flag is perhaps the best example. for every sid vicious who could not play his bass, there is a mike watt who can play the living daylights out of his.

really for me, the connection musically is in the intent. the movement by players like bird and miles, and later trane and the free jazz guys to step outside of the traditional forms of jazz and forge something entirely new, free from the rules and traditions of the past (though still clearly emerging from it) is so similar for me to the punk musicians. their ambition was to step beyond the established rules of rock music and make something new.

also, many of the earliest punk musicians were inspired by the mc5 and the stooges, two bands who drew a lot of inspiration from ayler and trane and sun ra and other jazz guys. listening to voidoids guitarist robert quine, i hear a lot of james ulmer from ornette's band. minutemen guitarist d. boon reminds me so much of beefheart's guitar players, who in turn sound like the free jazz players again. to my ears, there are a lot of connections. certainly not across the board, but when you separate the wheat from the chaff, a direct line can be found.

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
if you think about punk as being bands like the sex pistols, the clash and their like, then youd be right to call them talentless, but they make a good noise none the less.

ever heard the early sid vicious playing? yuck.

Tibernius
July 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
if you think about punk as being bands like the sex pistols, the clash and their like, then youd be right to call them talentless,

Joe Strummer? Talentless? :messedup:
Just 'cause he didn't play like Alexi Laiho doesn't mean he was any less of a musician.

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:16 PM
i mean, less talented than say...satriani.

and the clash were more talented that the pistols, but their whole image was based on the sort of...punk attitude of sloppyness.

if that makes any sense at all.

Monkus
July 14th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I'm all over the map as well.

I'm inspired by James Taylor, Andy McKee and Queensryche, rocked out of my sox by AC/DC, Slipknot, Bush, Queen and Rush, moved by Anggun, Clapton and John Mayer, soothed by Sarah McLachlan, Enya, BB King and Stevie Wonder, seduced by Heart, Stevie Nicks, Sade and Fergie, wrung out to dry by Bonnie Raitt, Tears for Fears, U2 and Pearl Jam, and above all, moved to play music by Santana, Leadbelly, Jose Feliciano, Los Indios Tabajaras, Bruce Hornsby, Joshua Kaddison to name a few. There is very little I can't listen to but some that I can't listen to for very long.

R_of_G
July 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
i mean, less talented than say...satriani.

and the clash were more talented that the pistols, but their whole image was based on the sort of...punk attitude of sloppyness.

if that makes any sense at all.

comparing strummer to satriani is a bit preposterous as strummer was strictly rhythm, and to my ears, quite a fine rhythm guitar player. a more fair comparison would be satriani to mick jones. while jones was clearly not the virtuoso satriani is, i know which one made music that is much more interesting to my ears.

while i have plenty of respect for satriani's technique, he has yet to play a single note in a context that i care about. mick jones, on the other hand, has created a sizable fraction of the music that resonates deeply with me.

i do understand the general point you are trying to make, but i'm not sure the point itself is necessarily valid. the whole "punk is sloppy" thing does not apply across the board to all forms of punk. it was true of many bands in specific scenes, but just like jazz, punk is not a singular entity. the so-called hardcore bands of the 80's (black flag, minor threat, husker du, et al) they could play circles around a lot of other bands in a lot of other styles. gregg ginn ranks extremely high on my all time guitarists list, extremely high.

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2009, 04:51 PM
That is funny in a way that R_of_G and I both enjoy music from the punk and jazz areas. I have listened I bit more mainstream I wot, but nonetheless, similar. He and I have discussed before the history of punk, and I have always viewed it as coming from stripped down, garage style, blues oriented rock. R also turned me on to the jazz background in punk as well.

That was one of my points above, that you can trace a lot of the punkish stuff I listened to back to early rock, but I also liked jazz. Blues bridges the gap in my mind. So not so different really. A lot of punk is really compressed, high tempo, garage blues rock. Blues crosses over into jazz. Jazz is experimental. So there are connections in the sense of overlaps in my argument, as opposed to R's tracing from free jazz argument. You just have to listen and hear them.

But from yet another point of view, I am a Libra, so I like my loud aggressive sounds, and I like my more introspective, thoughtful, pretty sounds as well. So I don't always need to hear a connection.

As far as a "who is better" discussion, IJ, that is a different thread really. But I come from the school that for me, the musician/artist that captures my attention, causes an emotion or feeling, expresses something, moves me in some way, is better. I don't care who is better from a technical point of view except in the context of how that person can use that technical skill to express and move me. That of course depends on what i want to hear. Some days, Neil Young playing a loudly distorted one note solo is what I simply need. Some days, Coltrane or Davis or Robben Ford or Bill Frisell is what it takes. I can respect the fast shred guys for their technique, but it is not typically what moves me.

R_of_G
July 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM
He and I have discussed before the history of punk, and I have always viewed it as coming from stripped down, garage style, blues oriented rock.

that's correct steve. a great deal of it traces directly back to the stooges and the mc5 and when you then take another step back from where they drew their influence, you step right into trane and ayler.

bigoldron
July 14th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My first love is, of course, Southern Rock. I also love Classic Rock of the 70's and 60's. Over the last couple of years, I've really gotten into Contemporary Christian, such as Casting Crowns (my favorite), Switchfoot, and many others. But, I also listen to many others. I grew up listening to country (Merle Haggard, Johnny Cash, Conway Twitty), 60's music such as CCR, and many others.

I DON'T like rap and not a real fan of much from the 80's forward. There are a few exceptions, but not many. Call me a dinosaur, but that's the way I am.

just strum
July 14th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I am focused on blues as far as my lessons and search go.

I sometimes forget about artist that I like until I hear them or someone mentions them.

But I am all over the map. If it makes my foot tap, it's good with me. Forgot about the Chili Peppers until I saw Roberts list and there are so many others. Rickie Lee Jones is one I always liked, Randy Newman, Tom Waits, I like some one hit wonders, music from the 50's and on and on....

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Ron, I like me some Switchfoot too. MxPx is another group that rocks.

tot_Ou_tard
July 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
I like good music. Country doesn't qualify for me as good so that leaves just about everything else.
You're deluded Spud ;)

Don't worry, there's time before you die to grok good country.

BluesHowler
July 14th, 2009, 06:28 PM
As you can tell by my screen name I love the blues. One of the first albums I heard that got me on the blues train was "Hooker and Heat." I played the **** out of that album and searched for other blues players like Muddy Waters, BB King, and the rest.

I loved CCR as a young child and also listened to Quicksilver Messenger Service, Uriah Heep, Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane (Surrealistic Pillow is still awesome!)

Cookie monster vocal metal turns me off very quickly and I do not consider Rap, Hip Hop music.

Older Country and Americana is very good.

marnold
July 14th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Crap, I forgot Warren Zevon too.

sunvalleylaw
July 14th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Of course, Warren is on my list too. Not sure what category he fits in, but he is in the mix for sure.

sumitomo
July 14th, 2009, 09:18 PM
You know some people ain't got no soul,yet everything they touch seem to turn to solid gold.They worked us hard all are life and our price was never right.I tell ya I got the BLUES yea I got the BLUES YEA. Sumi:D

tunghaichuan
July 14th, 2009, 09:47 PM
You're deluded Spud ;)

Unfortunately, a lot of what passes for country music is neither.

tung

R_of_G
July 14th, 2009, 10:48 PM

tung

exactly

i think an unfortunate side effect of that is the distaste people develop for all country. there is still great music being made by those who know that country is rooted in the blues, not pop with fake twangy voices and pedal steel leads.

it pains me when people won't listen to great artists like neko case or jolie holland because both of them have very country elements to their music and singing though they are not at all like what most people think of when they think of country. i used to be the same way. i'm glad i opened up to it more because missing out on neko would be a shame.

pes_laul
July 14th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I like pretty much anything before 2000 (with a few exceptions)

But 90's is my favorite decade with grunge bands and punk and stuff like tool (dont know what genre they fit in)

ibanezjunkie
July 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
exactly

i think an unfortunate side effect of that is the distaste people develop for all country. there is still great music being made by those who know that country is rooted in the blues, not pop with fake twangy voices and pedal steel leads.

it pains me when people won't listen to great artists like neko case or jolie holland because both of them have very country elements to their music and singing though they are not at all like what most people think of when they think of country. i used to be the same way. i'm glad i opened up to it more because missing out on neko would be a shame.

a good example of so called 'country' (phail/fail) is taylor swift.

talk about crap. my god.

when i think of country i think of music rooted down in texas or the southern states.

of sons of maxwell :rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
July 15th, 2009, 05:57 AM

tung I absolutely agree.

There's a big of a market for country pablum so a lot of bland goo gets made that is caught up in flag-waving and "gee shucks aren't we wonderful people" kitsch. There also seems to be an addiction to over-production in country.

But the raw sound and tropes of the genre are just begging for someone to do them justice.

Just because a style in drowning in crap doesn't mean that as musical vocabulary it is inherently junk.

Robert
July 15th, 2009, 07:18 AM
That overproduced country stuff we hear on the radio is most of the time not even country music. It's often plain pop music, disguised as country by adding a steel guitar or a fiddle, and getting the singer to do the typical yodel voice.

tunghaichuan
July 15th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Yep, that's what I was getting at. Thank you for articulating it better than me.

A big problem with music in general is that the mass-produced variety is made to appeal to everyone, but ultimately appeals to no one as it is so bland.

tung

That overproduced country stuff we hear on the radio is most of the time not even country music. It's often plain pop music, disguised as country by adding a steel guitar or a fiddle, and getting the singer to do the typical yodel voice.

tunghaichuan
July 15th, 2009, 07:34 AM
tot,

Check out Chris Knight for some great country.

Here is a little sample:

vLvDjT6ZJNo

There are more videos on YouTube.

I also like Steve Earle. His politics turn a lot of people off, but I like his music. Also anyone who records an anti-gun song in Nashville gets my respect. I'm surprised he can walk with balls that big. :AOK:

I absolutely agree.

There's a big of a market for country pablum so a lot of bland goo gets made that is caught up in flag-waving and "gee shucks aren't we wonderful people" kitsch. There also seems to be an addiction to over-production in country.

But the raw sound and tropes of the genre are just begging for someone to do them justice.

Just because a style in drowning in crap doesn't mean that as musical vocabulary it is inherently junk.

Agree 100%

tung

Brian Krashpad
July 15th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I have my punk leanings definitely, that directly descend from my taste for early 60's (I said early not late) Beatles and Stones, which descended from Chuck Berry and the like, etc. When I developed my own taste for music (mid high school when I went hi-fi) and was really into it, that was one of the main veins I tapped from. . The above of course leads into The Clash, early Elvis Costello, the Ramones, etc., along with a bunch of college rock/alternative that may have been played on Seattle, SF or LA stations back in the 80s and 90s. That vein also has its garage band roots (kinks, etc.) and that broadens things again leading to grunge, ska, reggae, etc.

All of the above is true of me as well. There used to be a great illustration called the "roots of garage rock" or something like that on Little Steven's Underground Garage, but I can't find it any more, that encapsulated of lot of the rock I like.

My main rule or aesthetic is KISS-- "keep it simple, stupid." I like direct stuff. So it can be garage, or Brit Invasion, or some of the less crazy psychedelic stuff, or ska (especially early ska from the 60's), or indie rock or punk rock, old school country (Hank WIlliams, Patsy Cline, etc.), folk, roots or country-rock, so long as the lyrics don't get too pretentious, the songs don't get too long, and the production values don't squeeze the life out of the performance, I'll probably like it.

I can appreciate some jazz, and blues, but in general I wanna be rocked. I will at times listen to classical (mainly baroque and early classical), and world music, and especially like Celtic (even moreso when rocked up a la Pogues, Flogging Molly, etc.).

Things I generally don't like: "dance" music/disco, most rap, anything with "competition guitaring" especially the instrumental stuff (generally totally uninterested in people like Vai, Satriani, Yngwie, EVH, etc.), most modern metal/hard rock/rap rock, hardcore (especially anything with cookie monster vox), most prog, modern pop.

Spudman
July 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM
You're deluded Spud ;)

Only an alien would recognize that.;)

I grew up on old country. Played it all my formative years in many honky tonks and while I was happy to be gigging I was unhappy because the music was depressing. I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc. But it's never my go to music. It's mainly for sentimental reasons that I tolerate it. However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.

piebaldpython
July 15th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Slide guitar blues......from Robert Johnson to Bonnie Raitt....if it slides on top of boogie beat or a bump-and-grind vibe, I'm there....no doubt. :D

Let's see, on top of the above comes the Southern Rock thing along with Texas Blues and all those great guitarists.

Oh, Stephen Stills too. One of the truly underrated guitarists who can play really awesome stuff when he wants too.

Slide guitar of course, can veer off into some country tunes as well and that I like.

Most other stuff holds absolutely no interest to me at all. Just doesn't.

oldguy
July 15th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Only an alien would recognize that.;)

I grew up on old country. Played it all my formative years in many honky tonks and while I was happy to be gigging I was unhappy because the music was depressing. I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc. But it's never my go to music. It's mainly for sentimental reasons that I tolerate it. However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.

Willie has written some beautiful songs. He could always keep the lyrics to the point, and at the same time use some very tasty chord changes within the song structure. "Nightlife" is one of my favorites to this day.

ZMAN
July 16th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Blues and I will admit it, Dance/Disco.

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Blues and I will admit it, Dance/Disco.

:confused:

how do you manage to stand it, let alone like it

:rotflmao:

well i guess we all have our own thing eh.

pes_laul
July 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM

:munch:

tunghaichuan
July 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I was watching a PBS (Public Broadcasting System) show on disco a while back and there were some monster guitar and bass players in some of those bands.

Dance and disco are like any other form of music, there can be some awesome bands, some mediocre and mostly crap. But to categorically state that everything in a certain genre is bad is not only wrong, it is wrong-headed. Plus you can miss out on some great music.

Case in point:

O4gqsuww6lw

tung

bigoldron
July 16th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I grew up on old country...I still love some Ray Conniff, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed etc...However, this weekend I'm pretty sure I'll be having dinner with Willie Nelson before his show. I can tolerate Willie pretty easily.

Yep, that's real country music Spud! I grew up listening to it. Also Ronnie Milsap, Roy Clark, Glen Campbell and, of course, "Willie and Waylon and the boys".

Wow, dinner with Willie. I'm jealous. :master: BTW, "Blues Eyes Crying in the Rain" is my favorite Willie song. :AOK:

bigoldron
July 16th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Ron, I like me some Switchfoot too. MxPx is another group that rocks.

Can't say that I've heard of MxPx. I'll be sure to check them out! BTW, I've seen Switchfoot in concert and they put on a really good show. Also seen Pillar in concert. That was different, but good!

hubberjub
July 16th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I had a pretty diverse childhood. Both of my parents were music teachers. My mother was a vocalist and my father played the trumpet. I was going to see classical concerts before I could talk. They were also into older folk and my first "real" show was James Taylor. I somehow transitioned into metal. Everything from hair metal to thrash. I went to college for six years as a voice major and classical/jazz guitar major. That's when I started getting into bluegrass and jam bands. That's pretty much where I still am. I love all kinds of music but I really like the jam band scene. Everyone is really cool and I've had the opportunity to meet and play with some fantastic musicians.

sunvalleylaw
July 17th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Can't say that I've heard of MxPx. I'll be sure to check them out! BTW, I've seen Switchfoot in concert and they put on a really good show. Also seen Pillar in concert. That was different, but good!

They are a bit punkier than Switchfoot, and more Clash/Ramones influenced/sounding, and started with more obvious Christian oriented lyrics, but now are less overt but still very positive, and I think very good performers. I hope you enjoy them!

EDIT: Tung I liked that and i like Steve Earl too. :AOK: :AOK:

marnold
July 17th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Funk! I totally forgot to mention that I like funk. But if I'm going to play it I'm putting down the guitar and picking up the bass.

R_of_G
July 17th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Funk! I totally forgot to mention that I like funk. But if I'm going to play it I'm putting down the guitar and picking up the bass.

exactly!

one of the primary reason i learned bass was to bring the Funk. the capital F on-the-one Funk. i learned from one of the finest funk bass players i know. good Funk music is always an extremely enjoyable listen.

street music
July 17th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Hey gang, been on vacation and come home to find Robert is at it again. Good question as always.
I'm not much on MOTOWN music, I love classic R&R from Beatles, Stones, CCR, to the modern day John Mellencamp stuff, Deep Purple, LED ZEP, LYN SKYN, ZZ TOP, Bonnie Raitt, to some of the great blues, True country music-not the rap artist or punk country acts, Steve Earle, Johnny Cash, Roy Clark, Chet Atkins, great players in the country field of music. Some bluegrass and folk type music and some americana. I think country music is turning into a kid show, it has lost a lot of the old time classic touch that use to give meaning to songs.

kiteman
July 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I agree with tung because there are gems of the genres. I see a talented person(s) who's playing in their chosen field. Really good stuff.

Duff49
July 28th, 2009, 05:16 AM
I enjoy listening to rock most.

As far as playing goes I have been playing blues for many years and really enjoy getting into the blues groove. It gives me a chance to express my personal blues I guess and delve into the intricacies of my personal reality; close my eyes and get deep into the vibes.

I can also play straight out, non introverted blues to great pleasure.

I like to play rock as well but have a natural ability to play blues and I try to nurture my natural tendency. Rock is harder for my to figure out, play. I do like to let loose and rock and roll though with no regard for unexpected mistakes, even though I try to keep them at the minimum but when you rock out you don't think about mistakes you just want to hit it hard.

I am not into progressive rock or overly organized rock. I'm into rock and roll; you know rock and roll with it, a few mistakes are okay and you might never play it the same way twice.

My friends have been in super serious rock bands where everything has to be perfect and I can see where that would be a lot of work and not so much fun.

I'm even developing some of my own country rythyms lately. Nothing main stream, but more like the natural vibe I get from the blues.

Strangely, I don't like to listen to blues as much as I do rock, but I like to play blues more, get into that blues groove and I'm a fairly decent blues drummer as well, drumming being my main and first serious instrument. They are set up in my living room now and I need to practice them but I am always practicing guitar. Just got a Gibson Faded SG brown brand new for 500 out the door with a fairly decent Gibson gig bag and strings. Perfect low action and incredible tone. Great buy at GC in Rockville, Md., I'm from Winfield, Pa.
I look for deals. That was the fourth of July sale. I make out on a seven hundred dollar guitar for five hundred. I thought I did well and I went in with no expectations. I think it's best that way. The SG plays the blues fairly good too, as well as the LP and the various strats I have.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.

jpfeifer
July 28th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I like a wide variety of music. To start with, I'm a huge Beatle fan. But I also love Blues, Jazz, Rock-a-billy, Motown, old-school country, Reggea, classic rock, Fusion Jazz (Pat Metheny, Weather Report), Elton John (especially his early stuff), Seals & Crofts, Steely Dan, the Police, Elvis Costello, Lyle Lovett, BR549, Brian Setzer, ....

I do get bored by listening to the same genre of music too much.
The main ingredient for me in all the music that I like is that it has to be performed from the heart, with good feeling. I can like just about any style of music so long as it has interesting chords, good playing (played by real humans), etc. I tend to dislike music that is overly predictable, or uninteresting in terms of chord changes or overall playing. (for this reason I'm not a huge fan of Rap/Hiphop but there are exceptions. I also dislike a lot of modern commercial country for the same reason, (too predictable).

-- Jim

R_of_G
July 28th, 2009, 09:10 AM
The main ingredient for me in all the music that I like is that it has to be performed from the heart, with good feeling.

i think you hit the nail right on the head there jim.

when the music comes from an authentic place, it's usually enjoyable whatever style it's in.

:AOK:

kiteman
July 28th, 2009, 09:11 AM
i think you hit the nail right on the head there jim.

when the music comes from an authentic place, it's usually enjoyable whatever style it's in.

:AOK:

Ditto. Well put. :AOK:

pie_man_25
July 28th, 2009, 10:39 AM
death metal, prog metal, and jazz.

mrmudcat
July 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
BLUES BASED INFUSION SWAMP ROCK SOUTHERN PORCH SWING IS MY THANG:rotflmao:

street music
August 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
I think it's a very interesting thread that has given a chance to look into what each of us grew up from or now perfer to play and listen to. Since I have been attending and playing at FRONT PORCH PICKIN with country and bluegrass being the most played , I still fine myself getting in my truck to drive home listening to Roy Orbinson, Beatles, CCR, Eagles, Mellencamp, or Led Zep.
The genre we play most seems to be wide open for most and that's a good thing IMO as we have a broad view and that is like getting a PhD in music to me.
During the past couple of months we have had visiting youth groups brought to The Front Porch Pickin . They have come from all over the mid-west and all the way up to New Jersey. It is amazing to watch and see these kids get their first real experience with the mountain bluegrass, country, gospel of eastern KY. It doesn't take long before they up on the dance floor having a blast and at the end of the show the thank you comments just keep rolling. I have been lucky to get to introduce a few of these youth to our stage that brought their guitars and played for us. I am amazed that you find so many of them playing Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson songs or a classic rock song. It gives hope that our youth of today are still finding out what has built the paths before them and they appreciate music from varied genre in the fast paced life of today.
Sorry for being so long.