PDA

View Full Version : Lessons?

Viking Power
July 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Looking for some recommendations regarding furthering my learning. I took lessons for the first 3 months of this year which definitely brought me along a bit. Stopped lessons in order to focus on another project and now that it is completed, I can focus on guitar again. Looking for some recommendations that might be a little more cost-effective than private lessons. Can anyone advise me on DVD lessons or on-line video lessons? Seems like there are a lot out there, but I have no idea which to choose. :confused: My current skill level is basically beginner with knowledge of a few chords and some scales.

Thanks all!:AOK:

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 04:00 PM
What kind of music are you most interested in playing?

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:02 PM
for alot of stuff, check out the dolphinstreet link in roberts sig.

you can find alot of stuff on youtube, and alot of DVDs go quite cheap on ebay.

Viking Power
July 14th, 2009, 04:10 PM
What kind of music are you most interested in playing?

Punk, Psychobilly, Rockabilly, Instro Surf, Metal, Rock, Blues, Grunge

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:12 PM
^^^ for rock and blues, try dolphinstreet.

what sort of level would you put yourself at with metal? theres a guy on youtube who does a series of videos called 'Metal 101' which i perosnally found very helpful in the beginning.

Robert
July 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Psychobilly, Instro Surf? I must be getting way too old, never ever heard of those terms... :messedup: :)

Viking Power
July 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
what sort of level would you put yourself at with metal?

I can thrash out some slower Sabbath stuff such as Iron Man and NIB. Just the power chords though, no solos or anything. So, uhm, yeah, pretty much floor level.:D

Tibernius
July 14th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Personally I'd recommend this one:

http://www.justinguitar.com/index.php

It's where I learnt most of my lead playing from.

ibanezjunkie
July 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
i assume psychobilly is some kind of term for a mix of psychadelic rock and rockabilly?

like a mix between purple haze and elvis?

i have no idea :rotflmao:

Viking Power
July 14th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Psychobilly, Instro Surf? I must be getting way too old, never ever heard of those terms... :messedup: :)

Psychobilly = pretty much a combination of Punk Rock and Rockabilly. Ever heard The Cramps? They are considered the first of the genre by most people.

Instro Surf = instrumental surf rock which had it's hey-day in the early 1960's with several revivals since. Dick Dale, The Ventures, etc. are Instro Surf artists.

just strum
July 14th, 2009, 05:03 PM

There was something I wanted off his site yesterday and for the life of me I could not remember his name - kept searching for Jason - just got the guy with the mask;)

tot_Ou_tard
July 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
There was something I wanted off his site yesterday and for the life of me I could not remember his name - kept searching for Jason - just got the guy with the mask;) Boy, if he showed up as your private guitar instructor...at least he can shred, I suppose.

Viking Power
July 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Boy, if he showed up as your private guitar instructor...at least he can shred, I suppose.
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :rotflmao: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Pretty good!!! Thanks for giving me a laugh to start my work day!! Funny thing too, is that my name is Jason!:saw:

ibanezjunkie
July 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
that guy has retarded fingernails.

Viking Power
July 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Any other suggestions guys?

sumitomo
July 15th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I really like Andy Aledort,he is really a good instructor and the good thing about DVD's is their ready when you are.Sumi:D

Monkus
July 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I've found some relevant stuff here:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Lessons/

:rockon:

bigG
July 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I really like Andy Aledort,he is really a good instructor and the good thing about DVD's is their ready when you are.Sumi:D

+1 on Andy Aledort. You can order any of his many and varied (genres and skill levels) instructional DVDs form Guitar World's Online Store. He is REALLY good. Highly Recommended!

player
July 19th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Best advice I was given ages ago(yes it has been a decade or three,age is showing lol) is learn more or as many chords as you can and learn about their many variations(voicings) as well.this holds true for scales too(learn more).expand all your horizons and under no circumstances Ever limit yourself to any one style of playing.you just hold yourself back if you do.key word here is experiment.only cost is your time plus having fun with your guitar < this is paramount :AOK:

peachhead
July 26th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Another :AOK: for DolphinStreet...plus one for http://markweinguitarlessons.com/. Lots of neat stuff there.

Viking Power
July 27th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I appreciate all of the advice. Thanks guys!

barryg_nyc
August 12th, 2009, 04:56 AM
+ 1 for www.justinguitar.com
While many sites have just a hodgepodge of videos, he's created a fairly structured program - the beginner's program alone has 50 lessons; then there are separate programs for technique, for chords (barre, power, etc), for scales, etc. He is a good instructor and is very "likeable" (which helps you learn).
The site is free, though if you use it, you should make a donation via Paypal.

Two others I've been playing with:

Jamorama - this is a fairly inexpensive course (beginner's program is $40); it's a downloadable set of lessons. What I like best about Jamorama is their "jam sessions", where you can jam along with their pre-recorded music; each jam session has 2 settings - you can include the lead guitar (and play along iwth it) or you can mute the lead (with you playing it). I think Justin's teaching style is better, but the jam sessions alone may be worth the $40.

I've just started to use Claude Johnson's Guitar Control package
http://www.guitarcontrol.com/main.php
- while this includes a beginner program, I think he excels more in making scales and lead guitar more accessible. I'm just starting the program, so can't really give it a grade yet, but seems pretty good.

bedroom rocker
August 14th, 2009, 03:46 AM
you should check out doug dopplers series of tutorial vids. man that guy is amazing (which is why he took over joe satriani's teaching position at the guitar institute of technology when joe left), i learnt a thing or two from his vids :rockon:

Jimi75
August 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I highly recommend this guy here:
http://www.grahamfraser-productions.co.uk/online_school_pre.shtml

A friend of mine who was offered a job as a tourguitarist for an old 50's Rocker, had to prepare 6 months long Psycho and Rockabilly style guitar licks and tricks to be able to play the songs. He found and joined the a.m. site and his progress was tremendous.

I think there is no better source online for what you are looking for.

:AOK:

kiteman
August 20th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Chords are boss, that's all you need to know. :)

My method are triads (chords), CAGED system, and pentatonics.

eyeplayguitar
September 10th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Justinguitar.com has pretty good free lessons. I still think teacher is the best way to go, but I understand the whole money think. Jamplay.com looks pretty promising also.

Trailer Park Casanova
September 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM

That is a very good site.
Thanks for the tip.

His tuning tricks are great.

Commodore 64
November 9th, 2009, 10:46 AM
that guy has retarded fingernails.
If you are referring to justin sandercoe from justingguitar.com, it's because he fingerpicks.

piebaldpython
November 9th, 2009, 12:52 PM
David Hamburger.....for kick-*** blues and slide instruction. Go to YouTube, key in his name and there are a number of tutorials that are excellent. He explains stuff as well as that VEINS guy from DolphinStreet.com. :cool:

He has a couple of DVD instructionals out. Very good stuff.

forumovec
June 21st, 2010, 11:33 AM
I recommend Jamorama for beginners and intermediate players.

Find out more at: http://jamorama-guitarlessons.com

forumovec
August 2nd, 2010, 03:02 PM
Is studying the guitar hard? Many people think so, however from my very own experience I can actually say no! It isn't at all. I have been playing for 2 years now and day by day I discover I'm studying something new. The toughest part of studying to play the guitar is whenever you first start; when you are constructing your finger strength. Upon getting built up your finger power and calluses, you may discover that you would be able to play for much longer without any pain.

What I like concerning the guitar is that you could truly start playing your first track on the identical day you pick up the instrument. With most different instruments, because there is a for much longer studying curve, many individuals start to lose curiosity before they've begun.

When you can grasp three chords on the guitar you will be able to play hundreds of songs. This is why the guitar is such a popular instrument to learn. The three chords it's best to master at the start are the G, C, D chords. Follow playing and altering from one chord to a different on the guitar. It is very vital to not change from one chord to a different the same way on a regular basis, however to alter the sequence. Follow G-C-D; do that until you might be comfortable. Then change to C-D-G, then D-G-C and so on. After getting mastered those three chords you can start to study the A chord and then the laborious F chord.

You must commit to day by day practice if you want to achieve your desired results. Even if you solely have 15 minutes to practice it is higher than doing nothing at all. Within those 15 minutes you could practice pentatonic scales, the rock box or a new chord that may be providing you with problems. The most important factor to do is, carry on rocking on that guitar. You'll never remorse it!

One of many many questions individuals ask is, are you able to learn to play the guitar on the web? You sure can! There are so many good websites now that provide instruction. You'll also discover an especially giant quantity of guitar programs which might be out there for purchase. Nonetheless, it is at all times good to study from a teacher in a classroom, especially when you find yourself first beginning out. Nothing beats the palms on method! You should have the possibility to learn the proper strategies of holding and playing, that you could be not be capable of be taught from a video. When you study the basics from a guitar teacher, the enjoyment begins. With the proper strategies, further instruction becomes much simpler and enjoyable. The expertise you can attain is boundless!

To search out which course is greatest for you, you will want to search evaluation sites to get some high quality reviews.

Here is my review http://jamorama-guitarlessons.com

psylocke24
September 17th, 2010, 03:42 AM
Here's the link if you want to learn to play guitar (http://takelessons.com/category/guitar-lessons), you can start from reading and learning the basic theory and watch some videos. Observe and have patience.