PDA

View Full Version : Mack amp and my SX Strat

Robert
July 15th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I played fairly loud on this clip. I tried to give an idea what the Fender CS '54 pickups sound like too.

8VNPItI5ixY

SuperSwede
July 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Its a great sound! The mack amph tone is quite compressed, me like :)

Robert
July 15th, 2009, 08:29 AM
SS, thanks. You know what, I think my camera microphone is doing that compression, due to me playing fairly loud. I suspect it is automatically changing its sensitivity based on me playing soft one second, and hitting the strings harder the next second. The jump in volume at such situations makes the camera squish the volume a bit. At least that's what it seems like to me. What do you guys think, am I right? The only thing to do is to record at lower volume, I guess.

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that makes sense to me.

Amazing how good a $100 guitar sounds! 'Course, it's got a $150 pair of Fender CS pickups in it, too!

How would you describe the playing feel of the SX vs. your Suhr?

MichaelE
July 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
My camera does the same thing. Turn the audio auto level off and try that. You'll just have to be sure not to overload the DSP.

Robert
July 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks MichaelE, that would make sense. I'll look in the manual and see what I can figure out.

Vood, it's a huge difference. The SX feels cheap and awkward, compared to the Suhr. The SX sounds good though, but it needs work. The frets need to be leveled, the bridge needs work because it doesn't stay in tune, the electronics give me static crackle noise, etc. Basically, the difference in feel can be compared using a 486 with DOS, compared to a brand new Mac! You can type on both but ... ;) :)

oldguy
July 15th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Sounded great, even with the camera squishing the volume some. It shows the pure, clean tone the Mack is capable of. That amp sounds great cranked like that.
(nice playing, too, btw.):AOK:

sumitomo
July 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Nice Robert,I like the neck middle,for me that is a great tone.Sumi:D

piebaldpython
July 15th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Damn, that Mack really smokes. Nice playin'. That new Mack GEM is callin' my name pretty loud.

bigG
July 16th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Great stuff, Robert! Tone(s) and playing! A powerful argument for anyone considering the Mack Gem! :poke: :D

helliott
July 16th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Great tone and playing. What does the amp sound like driven a bit?

Robert
July 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks, volume was almost half way up. All the way, it's honkin' loud and more dirty. This video has the volume all the way up towards the end (at about 9:20).

xBBsRzB7XV8

ibanezjunkie
July 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
that heatseeker sounds great when its cranked.

i cant find anything on them...EL84s or 6l6s? or maybe KT88/77?

tunghaichuan
July 17th, 2009, 07:09 AM
that heatseeker sounds great when its cranked.

i cant find anything on them...EL84s or 6l6s? or maybe KT88/77?

It's similar to a Marshall 18W circuit, it uses two EL84s.

tung

Robert
July 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Go to Mackamps.com and read about it - http://www.mackamps.com/products-Heatseeker-HS18/

;)

tunghaichuan
July 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Interesting. The first 12AX7 has its triodes in parallel. The classic 18W circuit uses the triodes cascaded one into the other give lots of preamp distortion. Not so witht the Heatseaker. Parallel triode configuration is supposed to be fatter sounding (though less gain) than cascaded configuration. It explains why the Heetseeker is cleaner sounding than 18W circuits.

tung

Go to Mackamps.com and read about it - http://www.mackamps.com/products-Heatseeker-HS18/

;)