PDA

View Full Version : Carvin Temptation....

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170355321894

It's the right model, but it's not really the color I want. Plus I hate the cream-colored pickups on that body color, and I much prefer the ebony fretboard with abalone block inlays. Still, it's tempting. I doubt that it will go for the current bid of $785, since it's worth well over $1000--expect the usual flurry of last-second snipe bids.

Robert
July 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Carvin make terrific guitars. You should get one! Maybe study eBay closely until you find the on you really want.

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Carvin make terrific guitars. You should get one! Maybe study eBay closely until you find the on you really want.
Believe me, I don't need any convincing on Carvin guitars. This remains my objective:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/isa/images/full/ct6m-bluequilt-64082.jpg

Unfortunately, it's about $1700 new, with the options I want. Note to fellow Fretters: Buy more DVM pedals!! :D

BTW, I have a standing "Carvin CT6" search set up on my eBay account for whenever one gets posted....

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Auction just ended--it went for $910. Somebody got a nice value on a fine instrument there! :dude:

Here's another nice one; has all the features I want, 'cept it's not blue....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320395760745

Monkus
July 15th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Since ur a tinkerer DVM have you looked at the Carvin Bolt kits? I've played a few and was actually considering getting a kit but then the Lonestar fell into my lap. They played really well.

marnold
July 15th, 2009, 01:15 PM
You can usually find a good deal on a used Carvin. For whatever reason, they don't seem to hold their value well. Part of it, I'm sure, is the fact that it says neither "Fender" nor "Gibson" on the headstock, but also because of the custom nature of Carvins.

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Since ur a tinkerer DVM have you looked at the Carvin Bolt kits? I've played a few and was actually considering getting a kit but then the Lonestar fell into my lap. They played really well.Yeah, I've looked pretty closely through the whole Carvin product line, but that CT6 is the model that really floats my boat. :drool: :dude:

You can usually find a good deal on a used Carvin. For whatever reason, they don't seem to hold their value well. Part of it, I'm sure, is the fact that it says neither "Fender" nor "Gibson" on the headstock, but also because of the custom nature of Carvins.Works for me! I'm not looking to resell it, just play the hell out of it! :rockon: And the reviews I've read of the CT6 have been uniformly outstanding.

Tone2TheBone
July 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
That burst one would look wicked under stage lights and your bathroom heat lamp. ;)

Spudman
July 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Auction just ended--it went for $910. Somebody got a nice value on a fine instrument there! :dude:

Here's another nice one; has all the features I want, 'cept it's not blue....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320395760745

6 hours left and nobody has bid on it. Wow!

duhvoodooman
July 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
6 hours left and nobody has bid on it. Wow!
Yeah, and my resolve is slowly dwindling. Blue may be my preferred color, but a ~$700 savings would trump that! I'd have to sell a guitar, an amp, and a couple of pedals to cover it, but I may make a bid....

Spudman
July 15th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Just over an hour left and no bids. Hmmmm.:poke: :pancake:

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Mwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!!! :D :dude: :D :dude: :D

bigG
July 16th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Congratulations, vood! :D :bravo: :beer:

I couldn't be happier for ya! Beautiful guitar, and such a deal!

Dreams do come true, eh!?

marnold
July 16th, 2009, 08:22 AM
My only concern is that I don't know if he showed enough pictures of it.

Tone2TheBone
July 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Congrats on a fine looking instrument Bob! :beer: :bravo: :)

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks, guys! I'm very excited, as you might expect. The only downside is that, even with a great deal, that's a fair chunk of change for a guy who usually buys $200 - $300 guitars! But I have several items that I'm really not getting much use out of these days that I'm gonna put up for sale to defray some of the cost, and will offer them here first. Plus I'm hoping to sell a few more DVM pedals!! :dude:

My only concern is that I don't know if he showed enough pictures of it.
LOL! Yeah, 93 of them, to be exact--from every conceivable angle! That's gotta be some kind of record! Well, he sure as heck wasn't trying to hide anything!!

sumitomo
July 16th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wow I was looking at that last night,saying man that is sweet,well no one is going to buy it well(there was 3 min 42 sec 0n the clock)almost pressed the button and now I'm glad I didn't so enjoy that new ride Vood.Well if I did buy it I would of let you trade pedals for it!!! Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Wow I was looking at that last night,saying man that is sweet,well no one is going to buy it well(there was 3 min 42 sec 0n the clock)....
Hey, 3 min. 42 sec. is an ETERNITY on eBay these days! Like many other people do, I use an automated "snipe" service to place a last second bid (last 5 sec., actually). IMO, this is the smart way to bid. Carefully consider what you're willing to pay, set up the snipe bid for that maximum amount, and don't even look at the auction again until it ends! eBay only uses as much of your entered amount as it takes to beat the next highest bid, so you won't unnecessarily overbid. It keeps you from doing something stupid/emotional in a "bidding war", and it also leaves no time for lower bidders to react. The only way to go....

sumitomo
July 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
How do I find out about this snipe system I miss out on alot of stuff?Sumi:D I buy alot of used car parts for my business.

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
How do I find out about this snipe system I miss out on alot of stuff?
There are several of these "snipe" services available. Here's the one I use:

http://www.auctionsniper.com/default2.aspx

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
BTW, for those of you who have never seen a Carvin CT6 in action:

qmRfyHWWN90

Kazz
July 16th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Hey, 3 min. 42 sec. is an ETERNITY on eBay these days! Like many other people do, I use an automated "snipe" service to place a last second bid (last 5 sec., actually). IMO, this is the smart way to bid. Carefully consider what you're willing to pay, set up the snipe bid for that maximum amount, and don't even look at the auction again until it ends! eBay only uses as much of your entered amount as it takes to beat the next highest bid, so you won't unnecessarily overbid. It keeps you from doing something stupid/emotional in a "bidding war", and it also leaves no time for lower bidders to react. The only way to go....

Yes please educate us.....I absolutely hate losing out on an item at the last second.

SharkUSMC
July 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
What a pain that the wanker that wasn't you that bid on it cost you ~$150.

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but I'll bet he's a lot madder at me than I am at him.... :D

SharkUSMC
July 16th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I dunno, sometimes when I lose an auction on ebay I'm relieved as that means I don't have to 'splain to the missus. At any rate, congrats!

M29
July 16th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Congrats congrats congrats Vood:AOK: What a looker she is. Is that neck quartersawn? It looks like it. Sweeeet indeed:rockon:

M

Robert
July 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Congrats Vood! Probably the best quality guitar you've ever owned?

bigoldron
July 16th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Dang, Vood! That's one SWEET ax!

oldguy
July 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Congrats, Vood!
That's one fine looking guitar, and I bet you're gonna love it.:AOK:
Carvin builds some of the best guitars made, and at half price or less than the "big brand name" companies.

duhvoodooman
July 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the positive comments, guys. Can hardly wait until it shows up! :rockon:

Congrats Vood! Probably the best quality guitar you've ever owned?
Yeah, without a doubt. My Amercian-made Strat Plus and Epi Elitist LP are both fine guitars, but this is in another league.....

Monkus
July 17th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Congrats DVM, sweet axe ...!

kiteman
July 17th, 2009, 05:41 PM
As an owner of two Carvins I can say you won't be sorry you bought it. Carvin is quality where it counts. Necks are seasoned before cutting so they're the best.

Last I looked the Bolt kit were going for $379 and they're still quality stuff. At that price you won't get a better new guitar than that. My Bolt kit was $600 because of upgrades and another $100 to upgrade again.

I got a beast. :)

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7097/s5030499.jpg (http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s5030499.jpg)

My other Carvin is a DC127 with upgrades also.

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/184/s5030622.jpg (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=s5030622.jpg)

street music
July 17th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Congrats VOOD! I wish that I had held off a while and put my money into a CARVIN.

duhvoodooman
July 22nd, 2009, 06:18 AM
The FedEx tracking site says delivery tomorrow, Thursday 7/23! :D :dude: :rockon: :dude: :D

sumitomo
July 22nd, 2009, 09:13 AM
You dog!I hope she fit's like a glove,and sings like an angel! Sumi:D

kiteman
July 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
The FedEx tracking site says delivery tomorrow, Thursday 7/23! :D :dude: :rockon: :dude: :D

Oh oh, we're not gonna hear from vood for quite a while. :rockon:

duhvoodooman
July 22nd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Oh oh, we're not gonna hear from vood for quite a while. :rockon:
Sure you will--so I can gloat over what a great new guitar I have! ;) :D

AAMOF, I'll start early with one of the auction pics:

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/744a6731c8b1bf1.jpg

kiteman
July 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM
You've just saved yourself from the cowbells. :AOK:

by the way, I have two Carvins. :dude:

tunghaichuan
July 22nd, 2009, 11:37 AM
YouTube embedding disabled, but here's to you, DVM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY

:rotflmao: :bravo: :D :beer:

tung

duhvoodooman
July 22nd, 2009, 11:57 AM
YouTube embedding disabled, but here's to you, DVM:

Word! Like the lyrics to old Zep tune go, "How come twenty four hours sometimes seem to slip into days?"....

tot_Ou_tard
July 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
Word! Like the lyrics to old Zep tune go, "How come twenty four hours sometimes seem to slip into days?"....
Izzit there yet? ;)

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
Not yet, but FedEx tracking is still showing today as probable delivery.

Spudman
July 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Do you hear? Fedex just went on strike today. All deliveries have stopped until they get the contract worked out. I guess you'll have to wait a while longer.

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Do you hear? Fedex just went on strike today. All deliveries have stopped until they get the contract worked out. I guess you'll have to wait a while longer.
Same joke, different day. :rolleyes: :thwap: :D

You're incorrigible....

Spudman
July 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Same joke, different day. :rolleyes: :thwap: :D

You're incorrigible....

It's just my way of saying that I'm jealous and envious of you. I have one of those on my 'to do" list as well. If I didn't love ya I would have just kept my mouth shut.:tongue:

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2009, 02:58 PM
*** HEAVY SIGH ***

Not lookin' like it will be today, despite what the FedEx site may show for an "expected delivery date". The tracking info doesn't even show it being received at the local FedEx facility yet, much less being out for local delivery. Looks like ol' DVM will have to contain his anticipation for another day, at least.... :cry:

Robert
July 23rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
I heard your local FedEx facility was struck by a meteor this morning, and it won't be receiving any guitars for a while yet. ;)

Spudman
July 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
I heard your local FedEx facility was struck by a meteor this morning, and it won't be receiving any guitars for a while yet. ;)

Good one. I never thought of that.;)

M29
July 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I happen to check out a cam on the Chase bank by your place and there was a fed x truck stuck on the side of the bridge. There was some sort of wooden object sticking out the back door. I think it is ok though it looked intact. You might want to check it out before it falls out.

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Oh, you guys are just a freakin' riot, you are.... :rolleyes:

M29
July 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
That avatar rocks man:rockon:

duhvoodooman
July 23rd, 2009, 08:36 PM
Currently somewhere between here and Syracuse NY, 125 miles to the west, so Friday is looking pretty solid.

Spudman
July 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Currently somewhere between here and Syracuse NY, 125 miles to the west, so Friday is looking pretty solid.

Um, Friday was cancelled last week by the Obama administration. Sources say they are working on a new day to replace Friday. Looks like it's going to be Monday then unless FedEx delivers on Saturday.:pancake:

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 06:43 AM
GOT IT!! :D :dude: :D :dude: :D My wife just called to say she'd just taken delivery of a "very large box" from the FedEx delivery guy.

No, Spuds, it's not the missing corpse of Jimmy Hoffa, disguised as a guitar shipment....

Now, I just have to get through a workday where the hours are sure to crawl by at a snail's pace....

tot_Ou_tard
July 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Now, I just have to get through a workday where the hours are sure to crawl by at a snail's pace....
Hmmmm, in the rest of the country New Guitar Day is an official holiday.

Poor sap.

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 07:10 AM
A half-day of vacation for the afternoon may well be in the cards.... :D

bigG
July 24th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Good for you, vood! If I were you, I just couldn't stand the anticipation any longer! Get home and start pickin' that git, man! :D :beer: :rockon:

AND, just in time for the weekend! Man, that is SO perfect...

G

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 07:58 AM
It's official....heading home at noon. :rockon: :dude: :rockon: :dude: :rockon:

Robert
July 24th, 2009, 07:59 AM
That is a good deed you are doing. The poor guitar is lonely and needs a friend! :D

kiteman
July 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Guess we'll hear from you after the weekends mate. :)

What timing hey?

piebaldpython
July 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Good luck with your new baby Vood. :D

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 08:33 AM
That is a good deed you are doing. The poor guitar is lonely and needs a friend! :D
That's just the kind of selfless, philanthropic soul I am! :D ;)

tunghaichuan
July 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
That's just the kind of selfless, philanthropic soul I am! :D ;)

I don't care what all the other Fretters say about you DVM, you're all right. :D :rotflmao:

tung

Algonquin
July 24th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I don't care what all the other Fretters say about you DVM, you're all right. :D :rotflmao:

tung
+1 :AOK:

marnold
July 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM
*clears throat*

Clips or it didn't happen!

Spudman
July 24th, 2009, 12:20 PM
*clears throat*

Clips or it didn't happen!

Man, talk about early. Sheesh.:thwap:

marnold
July 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Man, talk about early. Sheesh.:thwap:
Are you kidding me? It's been at his house since this morning! Slacker.

M29
July 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
:poke:

tot_Ou_tard
July 24th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Vooood! Hey Vooooooooood! You in there?

Sheese, guy gets a new axe & all of a sudden he dissapears.

You'd think this was a special occasion or something.

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
(Muffled sound of giddy giggling emanates from upstate NY....)

Spudman
July 24th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Are you kidding me? It's been at his house since this morning! Slacker.

Otay. I get it now. Early toaday - Guitar at his house - him not at house. Now him at house with hims guitar. We need to see hims guitar pics and hims clips...NOW! Is this torrect Panky?

duhvoodooman
July 24th, 2009, 02:55 PM
....We need to see hims guitar pics....
A few photos of the new gee-tar:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_full.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_full_rear.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_body.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_body_rear.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_headstock.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_headstock_rear.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/CT6/CT6_down_neck.jpg

This guitar is in absolutely flawless condition--not a mark on it anywhere. Just spectacularly gorgeous. And how does it play???? Film at 11.... :D

Spudman
July 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Oh that sux. Better send it back.

Robert
July 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Congrats Vood! We need to hear it through the Rebel 20! :dude:

tot_Ou_tard
July 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
That's just jaw-dropping gorgeous!

M29
July 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Breathtaking Vood very nice indeed:rockon: Top notch all the way:AOK:

Spud you crack me up......

M

marnold
July 24th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Nice axe there, DVM. Looks all caramelly.

bigoldron
July 24th, 2009, 08:59 PM
Good googledy moogledy! What a nice looking guitfiddle! She's almost too pretty to play (key word is ALMOST). Enjoy her Vood! :bravo: :AOK: :dude: :rockon:

bigG
July 24th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Man, vood, that is a true work of art, museum quality! Sublime! :master:

Ain't nobody who do duh voodoo like you do! :bravo:

street music
July 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM
That is awesome!

Monkus
July 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
beautiful instrument, great guitar DVM, hope she plays at least as well as she looks !!!!

kiteman
July 28th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Are the pups C22s?

I have C22s (and an AP11) on my Bolt and Blackouts on my DC127M.

Both killer guitars and I know that's what you're going to say about yours. :AOK:

:rockon: Welcome to the Carvin Knights. :dude:

mrmudcat
July 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Vood that is sweet.....anybody else with a Cali carve top..please step up!!!:rockon: :wave:

duhvoodooman
July 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Yup, C22B at the bridge and a C22J at the neck. They sound great--plenty of punch but still very articulate. A more modern tone than a vintage/PAF style humbucker, but not that edgy, rather harsh tone that the very high gain ceramics have. Both have alnico 5 magnets.

It looks great, it sounds great, and it plays like a dream. Best guitar I've ever owned, clearly....

kiteman
July 28th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Yep, that's what I got, luv those pups. My Bolt has a walnut body and a maple neck so it's a beast of its own. My DC127 is maple neckthrough with alder sides and plain maple top. The Blackouts warmed the guitar very nicely which was rather bright with the Holdsworth pups. I thought the Holdsworth were good sounding but no body.

Jimi75
July 29th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Some late congrats from my side, too! Carvin build outstanding guitars and yours is really a beauty! This guitar is definitely a keeper. I just saw that you want to sell your 56 Gold Top. Good luck with the sales.

Tig
January 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Now that you've had her these last 6 months, is the honeymoon still in full swing? ;)
I'm sure you still haven't found anything wrong with her, since quality is usually spot on with Carvin's.

I've been GASing for one myself, and found this cool Joe Walsh interview at CarvinChannel.com
http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=114

He loves his, and likes how they mount the bridge way down low against the body, as well as the perfect string alignment.

Now all I gotta do is save some $ and choose which model to get... :drool

duhvoodooman
January 15th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah, I love my CT6M. Killer looks, top-shelf quality all around, plays like a dream and sounds great. Clearly my favorite double-humbucker guitar....