PDA

View Full Version : New Bass Day (by Proxy)!

Brian Krashpad
July 16th, 2009, 07:12 AM
Hey Kids, yesterday I had some time to kill so I went pawn shopping.

I came across a Foundation in pearl white, with a maple neck. It's pretty beat up cosmetically, has a sticker I'll need to remove, and is missing a string. But it seems to play OK. Here's a pic of a similar one:

http://www.emarket365.com/uploaded/450281660512.jpg

Anyhow, I can pick this up for $99. Seems like it'd be a great birthday present for my daughter. She has been borrowing my basses, so this would be the first one that's all hers. I did a search and from what I'm seeing these are pretty well regarded, and I know from experience (I own a Peavey Predator Strat, a T-60, and a Fury I bass) that Peavey USA stuff is built like a tank.

Give me your thoughts!

Thanks in advance.

marnold
July 16th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hard to go wrong with Peavey stuff. I can't remember if those have the pickups in them that everybody seems to rave about. Can't remember what they're called . . .

Brian Krashpad
July 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hard to go wrong with Peavey stuff. I can't remember if those have the pickups in them that everybody seems to rave about. Can't remember what they're called . . .

Super-Ferrites?

Apparently from what I'm getting elsewhere, this is a later model which does not have Super-Ferrites.

Btw, I did go ahead and buy it. It's sitting on my desk getting degunkified.

marnold
July 16th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Super-Ferrites?

Apparently from what I'm getting elsewhere, this is a later model which does not have Super-Ferrites.

Btw, I did go ahead and buy it. It's sitting on my desk getting degunkified.
Yep, Super-Ferrites. That's the animal. I've heard they were the bee's knees.

Brian Krashpad
July 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Yep, Super-Ferrites. That's the animal. I've heard they were the bee's knees.

I have one on my Fury bass. It is pretty boss, very punchy, though I haven't come up with a good accurate description beyond that. It's own thing, for sure.

Reportedly the ones in this Foundation are a bit warmer but still have enough cut.

bigoldron
July 16th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Baby girl will be happy Brian! Good find!

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Baby girl will be happy Brian! Good find!

Thanks, I hope she'll like it. It weighs in at 8.25 pounds, so it's not too heavy. I wish it didn't have the "ghost" image of where the one sticker had been, but it's not super-noticeable. I'm about 8 feet away from it, and without my glasses can just barely make it out. In fact if I didn't know it was there I doubt I could tell that it was a mark rather than a reflection or something. She can always stick a different sticker on top of it if it bugs her.

M29
July 17th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Congrats! Don't ya just love it when things like this come by.

Try some polishing compound on the area (around) where the decal was. You want to get the surrounding area back to what is was like when the decal was put on. I am sure smoke and grunge has coated or is embedded in the finish around the decal but it should polish out. You may have to try different grits of polish to do the job.

Again congrats Krash:rockon:

M

Robert
July 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Looks like a great choice to me. Peavey basses are pretty good I think.

Brian Krashpad
July 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like a great choice to me. Peavey basses are pretty good I think.

Yes, this is the second one I've bought. The first one is an older ('84-'86) Fury:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3259/3177684432_e5372072ed.jpg

Hers actually plays a bit better than mine does.

:thwap:

marnold
July 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Oh, by the way, pics or it didn't happen. There. I've gotten that off my chest.

Brian Krashpad
July 20th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Oh, by the way, pics or it didn't happen. There. I've gotten that off my chest.

Haha, touche. I actually managed to sneak a couple photos on the ol' kitchen floor the other morning before she awoke, but haven't had a chance to move them to the computer. Maybe tonight.

Speaking of this bass, last night at practice I tried it out with a big amp for the first time, starts to sound good, I adjust the tone pot, and BIG noise, some kind of short. The pot had come loose and twisted round inside enough to disconnect one of the wires.

:thwap:

I took it by my luthier/repair guy this morning and he fixed it on the spot, for five bucks and change. It's good to have known the repair guy for almost 30 years and have even briefly played in a band with him.

:AOK:

Kazz
July 23rd, 2009, 04:43 AM
I saw the thread title and thought that this was a Shiner family affair :-)

Good on you Brian.....she will love it.

Brian Krashpad
July 30th, 2009, 06:24 AM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs170.snc1/6380_1213490217317_1230650648_629341_5133723_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs170.snc1/6380_1213490177316_1230650648_629340_517124_n.jpg

bigoldron
July 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM
All I can say is: :AOK:

pie_man_25
August 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
yeah, the bass ain't too bad either!!!
Just kidding man, she'll love it.