PDA

View Full Version : Squier standard and fender mex standard...

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 01:44 PM
whats the main differences in quality? becase mexican standard teles are about £350 and squier standards are under £200.

also, whats the quality difference between the squier affinity tele and the squier standard tele?

Tig
July 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I spent a few months learning about Finder MiM's and Squiers, visiting several shops, and would recommend getting a Squier Vintage Modified series (http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&cat=telecaster&subcat=vintagemodifiedseries) over the Squier Standard series, and definitely over the very cheap Affinity series, unless you just gotta have SS pickups. The Classic Vibe Squiers have OK pickups, but the quality of the electronics was a little shaky.

The Vintage Modified Tele's and Strat's sounded the best compared to the other Squiers, and the workmanship was superior. Just running my hand down the neck of the MiM's made me cringe with each exposed fret end. The Vintage Modified's are made in India, which has surprised everyone with the quality, including some regretful MiM owners. To get something that is better sounding and a higher quality build than the more costly MiM's makes this an easy choice, IMO. Go see for yourself before buying. The only MiM Fenders I'd recommend are the Classic Player's series, but they cost a good bit more.

ibanezjunkie
July 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM
hmm since the options on fenders seem to be reduced, and then further reduced with the crazy price rise we've had on everything recently, i started once again looking at Vintage guitars. Theres a tele copy called the TC200B. Its one of the Vintage Reissued series, and the specs are something like this...

Colour: Black

Vintage TC200 Series

Body: Eastern Poplar

Neck: Hard Maple - Bolt On

Fingerboard: Rosewood (BD) Maple (B)

Scale: 25.5?/ 648mm

Frets: 22

Neck Inlays: Pearloid Dot (BD)Black Dot (B)

Tuners: Wilkinson® Deluxe WJ55

Bridge: Wilkinson® WTB

Pickups: Wilkinson® Single Coil x 2

(N)WTC (B)WTB

Hardware: Chrome

Controls: 1 x Volume/ 1 x Tone/ 3-Way Lever

Wilkinson® WTB Bridge

This classic 3-saddle design has been around for over 50 years and is still regarded as the ultimate ?tone machine. Staggered brass saddles offer individual string intonation never before available in a design of this type, still widely regarded as the?tone machine. The baseplate itself is a faithful reproduction of the original, made from steel, very important in a bridge of this style due to the tonal effect it has on the magnetic field of the pickup

mounted in it.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vintage-TC200B-Tele-Style-Guitar-Black/57W

Spudman
July 16th, 2009, 11:43 PM
Ijunkie
Try a search here. I think I remember that we talked a lot about Squiers in the past. You might find some useful stuff.

ZMAN
July 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM
If you are looking at Squer VS MIM the Classic Vibe series is the best thing to come out of Fender since the Japanese Squiers. People are raving about them including me. I have five Squier Strats (no Teles Yet) They range from The Standard series to the Classic Vibe. I have 2 Standards and 2 of the Indonesian Deluxes with the Duncan Design pickups and a classic Vibe 50s.
I would have a Classic Vibe 50s Tele is I could get my hands on one. They are snapped up before they get onto the showroom floor. I have tried the Vintage modified and they are also made in Indonesia not India. They are made at the Cort factory there. I have owned several MIM Strats and have played a MIM tele with Joe Barden pickups. They used to be a step up in quality and the hardware and electronics are a litle better but for the money the best buy is the Classic Vibe series made in China.
I don't know what the "street" price for the tele is but they are getting rave reviews.

Duff49
July 26th, 2009, 12:11 AM
After my substantial checking around and getting advice, even calliing Fender. The general consensus was that the Classic Vibe is an awesome Squire, surpassing the Vintage Modified. I played the Vintage modified and liked it a lot. It was nice. I might still get the crimson one.

I have a fifties Classic Vibe and it is an awesome strat. I have a Squire Deluxe pearl white metallic that is also nice but heavier. I have a quite a few strats actually and have been playing my cherry burst standard that I just put a Seymour Duncan 'lil '59 single coil humbucker in the bridge; awesome sound and feel.

So I don't know what to say, if you mod your guitars you can get some awesome tone out of what might otherwise not be the best sounding choice. If you play stock then you are stuck with the stock stuff.

You can really hot rod a guitar by modding it yourself and get an awesome guitar. Probably far superior to a MIM model, but then if you were to mod a MIM you could get some really awesome results as well.

Duffy
Winfield, Pa.