PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Invader/LP Jnr

sollophonic
July 18th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Recently got hold of an Epiphone Invader very cheap. This is an Indonesian made Lp Jnr with a generic humbucker.

I decided it would be a good guitar to mod a bit, so I changed the ropey tuners for some nice old Fender acoustic ones I had in my parts box.

I the changed the stock pickup for a Kent Armstrong P90 I got also for pretty cheap second hand.

Finally I replaced the nasty plastic nut with a bone one and widened the string spacing.

Now sounds and plays great, and fills that hole in my collection where an LP Jnr style guitar should be.http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/andys_01/EpiLPJnrmodded3.jpg

This guitar + valve Jnr = fun

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 05:21 AM
Looks nice, but I have a question. If you replaced the nut with a wider one, wouldn't that make the E and e too close to the sides of the fretboard edge? I would assume the neck was made to accommodate a smaller nut.

If it works, that is great because I could use a little string space on mine.

ibanezjunkie
July 18th, 2009, 05:49 AM
sweet.

gotta love chrome P-90s.

bigG
July 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
Very nice, sollo! Very nice, indeed! :rockon:

sollophonic
July 18th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Looks nice, but I have a question. If you replaced the nut with a wider one, wouldn't that make the E and e too close to the sides of the fretboard edge? I I would assume the neck was made to accommodate a smaller nut.

If it works, that is great because I could use a little string space on mine.

It always bugs me that many guitars have a neck width at the nut of 42mm or something, yet the string spacing on some of the mass produced nuts is something like 34mm.

I change the string spacing on most of the guitars that I own, because of this reason. I usually can get 37.5 or 38mm spacing out of most guitars, without the strings getting too close to the neck. I like wider string spacing, and more room to fret chords. I hate feeling cramped on a guitar neck

Just my own personal preference. My acoustic resonator has a string spacing of 42mm on a 46mm wide nut. Lovely and roomy!

bigG
July 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
It always bugs me that many guitars have a neck width at the nut of 42mm or something, yet the string spacing on some of the mass produced nuts is something like 34mm.

I change the string spacing on most of the guitars that I own, because of this reason. I usually can get 37.5 or 38mm spacing out of most guitars, without the strings getting too close to the neck. I like wider string spacing, and more room to fret chords. I hate feeling cramped on a guitar neck

Just my own personal preference. My acoustic resonator has a string spacing of 42mm on a 46mm wide nut. Lovely and roomy!

That's just one of the MANY things I LOVE abt my Taylor SolidBody Classic. Approx 1/8" to 3/16" wider at the nut than "standard", making for a very nice, roomy string spacing.

I, too, hate a cramped nut/string spacing (my now-ex Ric 360/12 string had a horribly cramped nut, especially for a 12 string, which is the only thing I HATED abt it. Made playing a job rather than a delight.)

I need to write a glowing review of my new Taylor SolidBody, but, hell, everything I could say abt it is on Taylor's site and MF/HC...we'll see...but definitely :AOK: and worth every penny!

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 08:29 AM

I am going to have to look into that. I could use slightly more spacing on my guitars and would welcome an easy fix.