tiefnig
August 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM
1. what cab do i need for a 1x12 amp?
2. would you buy a solid-state head?

TS808
August 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
1. what cab do i need for a 1x12 amp?
2. would you buy a solid-state head?

To me, this is really a matter of personal preference and what you are looking for.

You can run a 1 x 12, 212, or 4 x 12 cab with the combo. It all depends on what you are looking for in terms of tone and projection. Personally, I like the sound of 2 x 12 cabs over a 1 x 12 and 4 x 12, but that is just my preference. All of us are going for a different tone.

If you're looking for recommendations of specific manufacturers of cabs, there are quite a few good ones out there with different speaker selections too.

In terms of a solid state head, why not if that's what you like? Too many times I think we get caught up in the tube vs. solid state tube snobbery wars.
I have a tube combo as well as a modeling amp now, but owned alot of solid states in the past. Some, like the Peavey Transtube series, aren't bad amps at all, and Randall pretty much made a name for themselves with solid state amps. An affordable "in between" solution is the Vox AD100VT head: a modeler with a tube in the power amp. Great sound.

Try some different ones out. If it sounds good to you, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a solid state. You don't have to worry about tube changes or lugging around a heavy amp.

SuperSwede
August 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
2) Not many tube amps can stand up to the legendary Roland Jazz Chorus 120 when it comes to clean jazz sounds. There is definitely some great solid state amps out there.