PDA

View Full Version : Finally signed up for a message board

Eric
July 18th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone,

It seems that I'm supposed to do this intro thing, huh? I've been reading quite a bit on forums, but would never actually write anything, so this is my first departure from that.

I'm your average white guy who plays guitar, probably not even close to as good as everyone here.

So anyway, hi.

Eric

tunghaichuan
July 18th, 2009, 09:01 AM
Welcome, Eric.

Fee free to jump in and contribute. This board is great in that regard. You don't have to be a seasoned pro to contribute here. If that were so, I wouldn't be able to contribute. :D

There is a huge range of players here, so don't discount yourself. There are rank beginners as well as seasoned pros, and the whole range in between

tung

bigG
July 18th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Welcome aboard, Eric! Nice bunch of folks here, at every level of playing. Jump in anytime you have something to say. :D That's the only way to get yer feet wet!

This is THE BEST guitar and bass forum on the net. I'm sure you'll learn alot and have alot to contribute! :beer:

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum and jump in whenever the urge hits.

Rule #1: Don't ever sell yourself short.

There are a lot of different skill levels here and we all learn from each other and enjoy just having a good time.

So what guitar or guitars are you playing - amps (known as amphs around these parts), music interests?

SuperSwede
July 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Welcome Eric!

luvmyshiner
July 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Welcome aboard Eric.

tot_Ou_tard
July 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
I'm your average white guy who plays guitar, probably not even close to as good as everyone here.

:rotflmao:

We do have great players here Eric, but some of us suck. ;)

Welcome.

oldguy
July 18th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Welcome, Eric! Glad you joined us.:)

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone,

It seems that I'm supposed to do this intro thing, huh? I've been reading quite a bit on forums, but would never actually write anything, so this is my first departure from that.

So anyway, hi.

Eric

Well, it's doubtful that you could be any worse than I am, Eric. I think the thing we all have in common here is that we love to play (and collect, in more than a few cases). Welcome!

-Sean

tunghaichuan
July 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Well, it's doubtful that you could be any worse than I am, Eric. I think the thing we all have in common here is that we love to play (and collect, in more than a few cases). Welcome!

-Sean

It is really fruitless for anyone to compare himself/herself to others. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. There are always going to be better and worse players than any given individual. Personally, I think such comparisons are fundamentally unhealthy. Comparisons feed the ego which I think stalls real learning and musical growth.

I've started my practice regime again, and have practiced regularly for the last 3 weeks. I haven't practiced regularly for 20 years. So right now, I'm working on just practicing without being attached to the outcome. Sure, I want to improve, but I also don't want to make myself nuts if I don't think I'm improving fast enough. Right now it is just enough to enjoy the physical sensation of actually playing the guitar. Do I have rock star fantasies? Sure, I would bet that most guitar players do. :D But as I'm practicing, reality asserts itself and I realize I have a long way to go.

tung

ibanezjunkie
July 18th, 2009, 03:40 PM
i wouldnt put yourself out as a bad player, its not healthy.

youve got your beginners, and your 'start over' gang (a few of which have threads in the Fret players forum)

youve got your inbetweeners to advanced players, like me and others.

then your shredders like marnold and seasoned all round players like Robert.

theres a fair few guys and gals here who have much more gear than they really NEED, they often talk about GAS. We call these people collectors.

:) welcome.

what you into then, eric?

evenkeel
July 18th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Welcome to the group!!! :bravo: :beer:

Robert
July 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Welcome Eric, glad to have you here!

FrankenFretter
July 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It is really fruitless for anyone to compare himself/herself to others. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. There are always going to be better and worse players than any given individual. Personally, I think such comparisons are fundamentally unhealthy. Comparisons feed the ego which I think stalls real learning and musical growth.

I've started my practice regime again, and have practiced regularly for the last 3 weeks. I haven't practiced regularly for 20 years. So right now, I'm working on just practicing without being attached to the outcome. Sure, I want to improve, but I also don't want to make myself nuts if I don't think I'm improving fast enough. Right now it is just enough to enjoy the physical sensation of actually playing the guitar. Do I have rock star fantasies? Sure, I would bet that most guitar players do. :D But as I'm practicing, reality asserts itself and I realize I have a long way to go.

tung
Well said, Tung. You have a point. I just don't want anyone to get the idea that I'll be posting clips soon...;) Anyway Eric, like several have already stated, we're all here for our love of guitar, bass, and music in general. I'll drop the whole comparison thing. And yeah, I am a collector. In the early stages of the disease, but it is progressing... :D

Spudman
July 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Hi Eric. Make yourself at home.

Monkus
July 19th, 2009, 05:16 AM
hi Eric, my nname is Monkus and I'm a fretaholic, welcome... :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Eric
July 19th, 2009, 05:20 AM
So what guitar or guitars are you playing - amps (known as amphs around these parts), music interests?

I find that the urge to collect and collect is quite strong, so I've made a conscious effort to avoid an overabundance of gear. I have

2 acoustics: Seagull S6 acous/elec, Fender DG-16 (?)
2 electrics: Agile AL-3100, SX STL-50 (with new pickups)
2 amps: Crate V50, Crate...G20? (that one was free)
Various pedals: Boss ME-50, DS-1, Turbo RAT (borrowed), Digitech RP-100

Musically, I suppose I'm grounded in the mid-90s, but I try to stay current too. Wilco, Doves, Arctic Monkeys, some Oasis. I find myself always wandering toward some fuzzier neo-psych too, though I don't end up playing much of that.

I was exclusively acoustic for many many years, but have finally ventured into electric over the past 3-4 years, primarily because of the needs at my church (my primary musical outlet).

Also, it's not really that I'm horrible at the guitar (I've been playing for...14 years? Although, that's more of a time window, not a sum of my experience, if you will); it's just that I find many people on these boards who claim they can't play are actually really good, just not Yngwie good. I don't want to claim I can hang with those people, and I'm really still finding my way when it comes to the details of the electric (amps, effects, pickups), so I'm no expert.

Thanks for all of the greetings and what not. Looking forward to being a part of this board...

ibanezjunkie
July 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
its good to see someone actually introduce themself, if you look at the bottom of the main forum display, you can see all the most recent members, maybe 1 or 2 in every 20 actually bother introducing themselves.

Seagull eh? nice.

Brian Krashpad
July 20th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Welcome Eric! Glad to have another church player here. Keep us apprised of your church "gigs" and goings-on in the weekend thread!

duhvoodooman
August 17th, 2009, 09:05 AM
Whoops! Here's one I missed! Well, a belated welcome to The Fret, Eric. Glad to have you with us.... :dude: :beer: :rockon:

sunvalleylaw
August 18th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Yep, I missed it too. Welcome Eric!

player
August 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Tame here.Welcome Eric.just a fretter not a mod here