PDA

View Full Version : Harmonica

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I never see anyone mention them here at the forum. Does anyone play?

I was looking at a set of harmonica's and was considering picking up a set.

DFRMBWgyH-M

luvmyshiner
July 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Fun topic Strum. I curious to see if we have anyone who plays. I've always wanted to give it a try. When we go to Pearl, the harmonica players wear these belts that have a dozen or so different harmonicas on them.

just strum
July 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Fun topic Strum. I curious to see if we have anyone who plays.

I know what you mean, I think it's such a big part of American music and the music that came our of England in the 60's (of course, a lot of blues influence).

oldguy
July 18th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I have a couple, plus a neck trap, which I like to fool around with, esp. w/ my acoustics. But I certainly wouldn't say I can play a harmonica, more like I dabble w/ them and make noise.......:o

evenkeel
July 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yeep. Dylan style, with a rack. Always the more folky straight harp style. Have never figured out the cross harp thing.

Cross harp means if the tune is in key of C, you'd play a F harmonica.
Straight harp, both would be in C. Most blues, is played in cross harp.

wingsdad
July 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I'm in the OG & 'keel camp. I still have my 'neck rack' and Hohner Marine Bands and Blues Harps that cost about $5 each in my 'Angry Young Man' days playing solo acoustic, doing Dylan and Neil Young stuff, no hands needed on the harp. Only needed C, D, G, A and E harps. I've got a C-chromatic, but you need 2 hands to play those. I'm no harmonica player, but then, no offense, but I wouldn't call either of those guys virtuosi either.

piebaldpython
July 18th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Strum.......it all depends what you want to do with the harp and what kind of music you want to play. You have the more "folkie" approach of WD, OG and EK----the Dylan, Neil Young, etc crowd.

OR, you can go off on the BLUES approach, where the harp is a intricate rhythm and lead instrument. Some made sounds like you can't even believe. The Old Masters----Sonny Terry, Sonny Boy Willamson II, Little Walter etc.
The Newer Guys----Kim Wilson of the Fabulous T-Brids, etc

It has been said that one of the things that made SRV such a complete monster player is that he tried to emulate on git-fiddle what the Old Masters did on their Blues Harps.

There are some excellent instructional DVD's out there too. Check homespuntapes.com OR elderly.com

Robert
July 18th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I've practiced a bit, and it's fun. It takes some time to get to know the "fretboard" so to speak... but it's fun to honk off some blues licks on a harp.

mrmudcat
July 18th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I play and have my old go to's.......HOHNER Blues Harp,Golden Melody and a limited edition 2000 model x2:master:

SharkUSMC
July 20th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I can play a passable blues harp. My upper register is weaker than it used to be as I don't practice at all any more. After about 10 minutes of play though, I'm sucking wind like a land locked tuna.

I used to be a big fan of the Hohner Special20, but before leaving off from play I switched to Lee Oskar. I don't fool with any of their weird tunings, just the straight diatonic harp.

Tons of fun for sitting in for a couple of songs though.

ibanezjunkie
July 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
i can sort of play, but my uncle and my cousin are harmonica wizards.

60's guy
July 20th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Lee Oskar brand is a excellent choice IMO.

I have occasionally used a harmonica when recording, but I rarely use it because I'm not a good harmonica player.

Here's something I recorded a few years ago where I used the harmonica to give the tune a sense of sadness and crying.

For Someone Gone (http://www.box.net/shared/gaa18klqxd)

just strum
July 20th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Lee Oskar brand is a excellent choice IMO.

I have occasionally used a harmonica when recording, but I rarely use it because I'm not a good harmonica player.

Here's something I recorded a few years ago where I used the harmonica to give the tune a sense of sadness and crying.

For Someone Gone (http://www.box.net/shared/gaa18klqxd)

Now what guy that uses the name "60's guy" wouldn't play harmonica on occasion.

Nice clip, now if you will excuse me :cry: :cry: :cry:

street music
July 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I love to listen to a good harmonica player and to the blues they are great. I wish I could learn to play them too.

pes_laul
July 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
I can play though I'm not great or anything but I know how to bend and all that kind of stuff. though I don't really have many harmonicas anymore and I can only play in the key of C :thwap:

sumitomo
July 20th, 2009, 09:06 PM
+1 on the Lee Oskar harps,IMO their one of the best.Get a green Bullet and a small tube amph and your set.I am pretty sure that it wasn't too long after Sonny Boy did that song and he really did kill his ole lady and was off to prison to really sing the blues!Sumi:D