PDA

View Full Version : Fulltone OCD

jpfeifer
July 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I just bought a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal to use with my smaller amp. I tested out several overdrive pedals before deciding on this one.

This pedal doesn't have a lot of controls on it (just 3 knobs for volume, drive, and tone) but it is definitely the best overdrive pedal that I've ever had. It actually feels much like a real amp. It responds to your guitar volume control so that it cleans up when you roll back on the volume (giving you more of a clean tone with a little bit of grit), then it saturates really nicely as you turn up your guitar. It also compresses a little in the same way that a real amp does when it's cranked.

It has two modes which mimic a Fender-ish tone and more British sounding tone.

I highly reccomend this pedal!!

-- Jim

ZMAN
July 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Jim I have the OCD and the Fulldrive II as well. I am a Fulltone junky and have the Fat boost and the Mini Deja Vibe. All are amazing pedals. I use the OCD when I mant really clean OD and the Fulldrive to dirty it up a bit. with them both on I get some pretty wild OD. I use a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 401, and several Fenders indcluding a 65 Deluxe and a Blues Junior special edition. All I need is the Clyde Deluxe and I will be fully equiped. The OCD is a great unit. Enjoy.

ibanezjunkie
July 19th, 2009, 04:49 AM
i used to have a OCD and a DividedBy13 JOYRIDE. I ended up selling both to pay for my cab.

i miss both. I just LOVE divided by 13, dont you?

markb
July 20th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I saved a lot of money and bought a Cool Cat Drive (= OCD v1 stuck in HP) ;)

I like OCDs a lot but >NZ$400 is too much for an overdrive on my income.

jpfeifer
July 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I used the OCD last night at my regular church gig on Sunday afternoon.
It worked even better than expected. I setup up for basic clean boost with a slight overdrive.

I left it on for most of the time which made it very easy to back off the volume to play cleaner stuff for quiet songs, then turn up my guitar volume control when I wanted a little more bite and sustain or dirty rhythm sounds. I used my Hamer Newport which seems to pair nicely with this pedal. The Newport has a great tone but lacks in sustain, the OCD really helps it come alive. (sounds a little more like a 335 through a cranked Fender with this pedal) This setup was perfect for doing fills and background stuff that I usually play with that group. I'm sold. It's was one of the best pedals I ever bought. I should have bought one of these a long time ago.

-- Jim

ZMAN
July 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Yes and built like a tank. You can run them up to 18 volts. You should try the Fulldrive II, a really nice versatile pedal.

Radioboy950
July 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hey guys...

I've been eye-balling the OCD and checked out a Youtube shootout where "Gearmanndude" compares 4 different versions of the pedal.

I can hear some subtle differences...but it's pretty tough to tell unless you're sitting there listening live.

Are there versions of this pedal that are more sought after?

Robert
July 20th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yeah, the Cool Cat Drive v.1 does the OCD sound very close.

Jimi75
July 21st, 2009, 07:18 AM
You always have to hear the pedal IN PERSONA!
The OCD sound really extraordinarily good! I didn't care about the different versions. I think the OCD works best with a Strat, I leave it on all the time and it is by far the best sound I ever had with my Strat and my Marshall. For the Les Paul, well, I expected a better result, this is why my LP goes with the Ibanez TS9. I consider buying a Fulldrive 2 for the LP.