PDA

View Full Version : Elixir etc. strings on acoustic?

deeaa
July 19th, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hello,

What's your take on Elixirs on acoustics? I'm considering changing the strings on mine and maybe those would last better?

I play my acoustic VERY infrequently, say once in 1,5 months or so, so the string wear is not really a problem...but the strings still oxidize and get dull.

I wonder if these would be the solution?

(I only play my electrics once or twice a month too - I don't believe in practicing - but on those I like the strings better after the initial phase when they're extra spanky and bright.)

bigG
July 19th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Hey deeaa, I've used D'Addarios most of my life. BUT, my newest addition, Taylor's SolidBody Classic, came strung w Elixirs (9s - 42s) stock, and I'm sold on 'em! Abt twice the price of D'Addarios, but play slicker 'n whale shite and are supposed to last way longer due to the coating.

I'm going w Elixirs from now on with every string change on every guit! As little as it seems you play, the next package might be the last strings you ever buy!

My 2 cents...

wingsdad
July 19th, 2009, 11:10 AM
I'd tried Elixir Nanowebs (thinner coating than the Polywebs...which reduce string noise a bit more) a couple of years ago and it seemed like every other set I got, there was at least one dead wound string straightaway, or one that would go dead shortly, before the others. And when they'd go dead, they'd go dead literally overnite...not as gradual a loss in brightness as uncoated strings. That got old.

I switched to D'addario EXP's, their coated string, and at least they were consistently 'fresh' at first. But they suffer the same sudden dropoff in tone as Elixirs.

I prefer to not use strings with condoms anymore; IMHO, any cost-value of 'longer life' isn't worth the tradeoff for sudden death. If I want or need minimal strig noise, I go with D'addario FlatTops; they're about the same price as 'regular' D'adds. I learened long ago that if you regularly wipe down your strings after any extended playing to get the finger oils and sweat off, it's the easiest way to extend their life. Not wiping down coated strings will erode the coating anyway.

luvmyshiner
July 19th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm with Wingsdad on this one. They sounded muted when I tried them, and I didn't much like the way they felt. BUT, as with all strings, buy a set, try them out, see what you think. If you don't like 'em, don't buy anymore.

street music
July 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I'll third WingsDad findings, I don't care for them at all on electric or acoustic.

bigG
July 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hey deeaa, I've used D'Addarios most of my life. BUT, my newest addition, Taylor's SolidBody Classic, came strung w Elixirs (9s - 42s) stock, and I'm sold on 'em! Abt twice the price of D'Addarios, but play slicker 'n whale shite and are supposed to last way longer due to the coating.

I'm going w Elixirs from now on with every string change on every guit! As little as it seems you play, the next package might be the last strings you ever buy!

My 2 cents...

dee, perhaps I should withdraw my statement. I've only had abt 20 hours experience w Elixirs thus far, on one guit. So far, so good, but the others seem to have much more time w them. I love 'em so far, but a bit more time might change my mind (judging from what the others say).

I'd go w the experienced Elixir users recommendations for now if I were you.

If I have any bad experience as I get more hours in on them, I'll try to post that. But will probably be a moot point by then...

G

luvmyshiner
July 19th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey G, I didn't mean to be disagreeable. I personally just don't much care for them. But my philosophy is use what you like. And as inexpensive as strings are, don't be afraid to try something new. If you don't care for them, you don't have to get them again.

bigG
July 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Hey G, I didn't mean to be disagreeable. I personally just don't much care for them. But my philosophy is use what you like. And as inexpensive as strings are, don't be afraid to try something new. If you don't care for them, you don't have to get them again.

shiner, no offense taken, man. :)

It just seems logical to defer to those players more experienced w Elixir strings than I am. Like I say, I'm new to them, and don't really have enough experience w them yet to weigh in on the subject. I pulled the trigger a bit too soon on this one.

I do love D'Addarios, and may stick w them after more time w the Elixirs. Time will tell...

Again, no problem, no offense. :beer:

marnold
July 19th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Most of the people I've talked to who love the coated strings are people who seem to have a sweat pH of about 1. They destroy regular strings in as few as one usage. I'm very thankful that my personal chemistry is very kind to strings. The only ones I've tried were bass strings. They seemed fine to me, but I had no particular need for them.

evenkeel
July 19th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Pretty much in synch with the Street, Shiner, Wings camp. Not a fan of coated strings. I'm another D'add fan. 11, phosphur bronze. Same ones I've used since the dark ages. I've tried lots of other types, but always come back to the D'add 11's.

I'll also add I don't mind changing strings. The slot head the exception. Wonderful guitar but yikes what a pain to restring. :thwap:

I seem to change strings every month or two, so not a big deal.

street music
July 19th, 2009, 08:02 PM
EVENKEEL, that's about the way I do with whatever one I'm playing on, about 4 to 6 weeks I change them out if they give any sign of tone changing.
I use the D'Addario strings most of the time but use the Dean Markley too. I don't have the experience that a lot of guys on here do but I experiment with different picks and strings just for the fun of it.

deeaa
July 20th, 2009, 12:29 AM
guys,

I think I'll give it a try. I used to have very sweaty hands at times, changed strings on my LP at least once a week back in the day - they were .11 to .52 set too but still I always broke a string or two on a gig unless they were a new set - but nowadays I get thru a dozen practices or six months with the same set. Seems my hands are way less sweaty.

I think I'll buy me one of those clip-on tuners for the acoustic while on it. I can't remember when I changed the strings on the acoustic...they might be still the original ones from 2004 or so :-) I REALLY oughtta play it more...

Algonquin
July 20th, 2009, 03:38 AM
I recently bought a used acoustic that had Elixir's on which were almost 6 months old. I thought they sounded excellent for being on a guitar that long. One thing that I liked was the lack of string squeek as I moved chord positions. When I did my first string change to 'regular' strings, it was very noticeable that the Elixers suited my style of playing. I'll try a set once I've gone through the few 'regular' strings I have on hand. If not Elixirs, I may try another similar brand.
Cheers :beer:

ted s
July 20th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I just put a set on my S&P that were a free-bee. Too soon to tell, but I'm not real fussy, I'll probably like them because they were free.

Algonquin
July 20th, 2009, 06:40 PM
I purchased a set of D'Addario EXP* coated 80/20 bronze acoustic strings tonight that I'll restring my acoustic with later this week and try and give some feedback on them. More expensive than the regular D'Addario strings, but still much less expensive than the Elixers. I just searched YouTube and found a couple of interesting reviews on them including one from Rob Chappers who to me has always come across as a decent fellow.

Algonquin
August 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I purchased a set of D'Addario EXP* coated 80/20 bronze acoustic strings
These are holding up very nicely after having them on the acoustic for the past month. I'll admit that I haven't played this guitar as much recently, but the strings have much better clarity and tone over the first set of standard strings I used on this guitar. They seem to resist corrosion very well, so I'll try and post back in another month if they continue to hold up.

David

deeaa
August 24th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Well, I bought a set too, light 12 to 50...maybe I shoulda gotten 13's...but anyway, haven't put them on as of yet since the old ones work too well still....we'll see!

Algonquin
October 9th, 2009, 05:48 AM
Here we are well into October and the strings are holding up very well :AOK
I took this acoustic to practice for the first time the other night and played through the PA and it sounded great... they may not ring like the day after they were put on, but for being on for guitar for almost 3 months they've held up incredibly well. I will use these strings again when it's time to put on a new set. For someone that plays their acoustic sparingly... these are a good way to go in my lowly opinion.

Happy strumming.

Plank_Spanker
October 12th, 2009, 05:17 AM
When I bought my Taylor 12 string, it has Elixir Nanowebs on it. I wasn't thrilled about them, but decided to leave them on and play them. It turns out that I like them. They last a lot longer than uncoated strings, they keep their sound longer, and they feel good. They're more expensive than traditional strings, but you make up for that with the string life. I change them when the coating starts to fray from strumming, which takes a while.

For my electrics, it's traditional strings. Coated strings are too slick - I need some meat to grab on bends.

deeaa
October 12th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I finally put some .12 elixirs on my Artwood Ibanez...managed to break one of 'em while putting on! Had to put the G string onto B post and vice versa...but it works OK.

I like 'em. I dig the sound, it's full and certainly bright enough - I never did like too jangly acoustics. Seem to hold the tune very well, haven't needed tuning since I put them on really. And yeah, they do feel very nice to play; I have no problem playing some blues licks and bends even on this 12 set although I usually use nines for my top end string on electrics...will have to keep an eye on how do they hold but it's looking good.

If the sound remains the same well they certainly seem like winners to me.
I might be tempted to try a set on my electrics as well...but I dunno, if I happen on a gig I suppose I'd like to change my strings before every gig anyway, and that would be too expensive...

Jipes
October 13th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I used the Polyweb sets for my Martin since 4 or 5 years and I'm very happy with them they don't sound too crispy and play very nice. Never experienced a bad set of strings !

As for the resonator, I prefer to use the Martin Marquis strings (yes I know it sounds odd) Elixir doesn't produce the right string gauge that I like to use on my resonator !

wingsdad
October 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
... Elixir doesn't produce the right string gauge that I like to use on my resonator !

D'add Phosphor Bronze (not 80/20's) EXP's come in a Reso set. Jerry Douglas likes them.

EXP42 Resophonic (http://store.daddario.com/category/145820/EXP42_Resophonic_16-56)

Jipes
October 13th, 2009, 08:34 AM
D'add Phosphor Bronze (not 80/20's) EXP's come in a Reso set. Jerry Douglas likes them.

EXP42 Resophonic (http://store.daddario.com/category/145820/EXP42_Resophonic_16-56)

Well this is a G tuning string gauge special for lap steel players or Dobro player thanks a lot for the info but I'm using mainly strange and weird tunings (minor, sus4 etc...) from C to D so it won't fit my requirements