PDA

View Full Version : Golf : The Open

Geraint Jones
July 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I`m not a massive fan of the game , a good walk ruined as some say but i`m hugely disappointed that Tom Watson missed out on winning . Almost 40 hours of watching, for him to bogey on the 18th and go to the play off . At almost 60 it would have been fantastic for him to have got his 6th Open title alas it was not to be.

R_of_G
July 19th, 2009, 01:02 PM
yeah it would have been nice to see him win it and not to sound callous after he turned in such a great performance on the previous 71 holes, but quite frankly, he choked and didn't hit that last putt like a champion. he seemed like the guy that had never won, not the guy that won 8 majors. i know there are no easy putts in that situation, but from his backswing alone i knew he wasn't sinking that one.

congratulations to stewart cink. i sincerely hope he's not another one of these guys that wins one major and then disappears back into obscurity (like zack johnson)

just strum
July 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Such an easy sport, maybe that's why I grew bored of it.

Just :poke: fun at myself

street music
July 19th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I played the first round of golf in about 3 weeks, it's not an easy sport to be great at, I like it and enjoy the challenge. I wish Norman had of won but like was already said-choked.

just strum
July 19th, 2009, 02:03 PM
He made a bad putt - choke is an awfully big accusation. Despite their brilliance, they make mistakes. I've seen Phil (the chip shot master) chunk chips, it happens.

At 60 and to be in the position he was in, is remarkable - don't let one swing take away from that.

street music
July 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yes, very true Strum, I even put Norman up instead of Watson. I must be getting the age factor working on me. I know it is working on my golf game too.:thwap:

piebaldpython
July 19th, 2009, 07:50 PM
That was NO choke. The putt was between 5 and 10 ft, not sure of the exact length. He just pushed it, simple as that. On putts of 6 ft in length, the pros only make HALF of them at the most. Plus, while Watson is known as an outstanding long putter, his "problem area" has always been the under 10 footers.
He played great, I loved his enthusiasm and he hung tough all day long. And, he was not thrilled about losing either. He wasn't whiny or anything, but he was ticked at himself for not sealing the deal too. I love that attitude and wished our QB, Donovan McNabb, had it too instead of constantly joking around after an INT or when the IGGLES are losing.

Good show WATSON!!:master:

R_of_G
July 19th, 2009, 09:07 PM
it wasn't so much that i think he choked so i prob chose the wrong word there. i think he just wimped out on it. the approach shot went long because the adrenaline was pumping so i think he overcompensated and didn't put anything at all into that putt.

i tend to hold champions to a higher standard and watson is definitely that and a golfer i have always respected. inside of 10 ft, champions need to sink those shots. still, the man put on a spectacular show for 71 and 3/4 holes and i enjoyed watching all of it.