PDA

View Full Version : My mid 1980s Gibson Les Paul Studio

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/nativecutt/music/DSCN1547.jpg

Based on the serial number this guitar was built July 11th, 1986 in Nashville Tennesee. It's my last remaining Gibson Les Paul that I have in my possession. My early 70s Tobacco Sunburst LP Standard was stolen while I was going to Technical School 20 years ago. I traded my mid 70s Les Paul Deluxe for a 60s Marshall Bottom cabinet which I still have.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/nativecutt/music/marshall4x12.jpg

While I'm at it and since the pics look cool in this forum I'll post my Marshall Jubilee Combo Amp.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y133/nativecutt/music/marshalljube50.jpg

Got it brand new in 1987. Since I had 2 Marshall cabinets (sold one 15 years ago to finance my wife's wedding ring) I decided to get a combo instead of a head. I figured I could gig with just the combo if I wanted to or run both cabinets off the amp as well. The amp came with a signed certificate of authenticity and congratulations for the ownership of the Silver Jubilee Edition Marshall from Jim Marshall himself, Milton Keynes, Bletchley England.

Sent the pic of the Les Paul to Robert Renman and he asked me to post it here. The other pics I just had to throw in. ;)

Rob J.

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 8th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Nice gear tone2thebone, the neighbours must love your marshall..... 6s9l

Tone2TheBone
November 8th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks,

My nearest neighbor is about 100 feet from my window. She's asked me if I had a band because she could hear me playing from that far away. Imagine if I had a 100 watt combo! I usually play the Marshall at half volume which is BIG sounding and somewhat loud...but not as loud as I used to play when I was a teen. heh Back then I had an original Crate amp rated at 60 watts and I played that sucker up alllll the time to ear splitting feedback monstering volume. My mom's neighbors across the street (200 feet away or more) always told my mother they could hear me real good. LMAO

Nelskie
November 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Tone - Hey - - nice gear! I especially love that white Les Paul. Very tasty, indeed! Are those factory p'ups in there, or aftermarkets?

Tone2TheBone
November 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Hey Nelski thanks,

Well the neck pup is a standard Gibson PAF neck pickup. Nice big round tone with crisp highs. The bridge pup is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates which has a Gibson chrome pup cover on it. The reason I put the pup cover on that pickup is because the pup is white. A friend of mine gave it to me and it didn't look quite right with black pup rings and black accessories. Kinda stood out a little weird. I did NOT want to get another pickup because that one just ROCKS and sounds as you might expect especially since you're a Billy Gibbons fan. Had it been a black pup I wouldn't have put the cover on...but since it didn't look right I put the cover on it. I recently went back to using my black accessories on the guitar to make it the way it was originally. As you can tell from my profile pic...I had put cream parts on it at one time. The Pearly Gates pup is a bridge pup but the pole pieces are such that I had to use a Gibson neck cover. The holes didn't line up with a bridge cover. Go figure. Anyway it came out perfect and all I had to do was solder the cover to the mounting bracket arms of the Duncan.

The only other thing I've done to my wiring was to put a .001 mf capacitor bridged over the volume pot as a treble bleed. That way when I turn down the volume pot on the guitar I don't lose any treble frequencies. I like crisp bright highs to go with my bottom heavy tone. I did the same modification on my Strat.

Nelskie
November 9th, 2005, 07:31 PM
Tone - Hey, you've given me a couple of great ideas for my own LP. I also have a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge of my Epi Les Paul (would you expect anything less from a ZZ Top fan?!!), and a very sweet '59 Custom on the neck. Both deliver that tasty, gritty, funk-a-fied ZZ tone that I dig, and I would absolutely not have it any other way with a Les Paul. I'd love to do chrome covers with mine, to give it more of a "vintage" appearance. As well, that capacitor change-out might just be the thing to really bring those Billy G. harmonic licks to life (although the SD's ring pretty true in that dept.)

Maybe I'll post some digi-pix of my Les Paul on the Epi thread I started a day or so ago. It's a really nice honey-burst color (amber body, darker red outside finish) somewhat reminiscent of Jimmy Page's main axe, with the creme pickguard, p'up housings, and toggle ring. I've made a lot of great music with it in the (14) years that I've had it. When I need to "git' down", it's the guitar I reach for. :D

Tone2TheBone
November 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Man I would love to see pics of your guitar. Try to get some posted soon. I completely agree with you about the choice of pickups...I wouldn't have it any other way either on any Les Paul.

Yeah you might like the cap modification. It really does keep your high frequencies there when you turn down the volume knob on the guitar. REALLY helpful when you still want bite on cleaner quieter phrases.

If you put chrome Gibson pup covers on yours measure the holes with each pup and get the appropriate cover because like I said...the Pearly Gates bridge pole pieces didn't line up with the Gibson bridge cover...I had to use the neck cover. I didn't have my guitar with me when I was at the shop but they did have a Pearly Gates bridge pup there so I could place each type of cover over to see which one fit. Now these are on the Gibson covers...I'm not sure if aftermarket covers are designed the same. I'm sure you'd want THE Gibson ones though for your Epiphone.