PDA

View Full Version : Record Player Difficulties

Nay
July 21st, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hey guys,

Recently I purchased a new stylus for a record player that I bought a couple years ago. When I play a record the sound quality is really bad. At first I thought it was the amp, but I tried the record player on another amp and the sound quality was still horrible. I figured a bunch of musicians could help me out with a record player, any suggestions?

Kazz
July 21st, 2009, 04:32 PM
make sure you have the right stylus....then make sure you have it installed correctly.

luvmyshiner
July 21st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Um . . . sorry guys . . . what is this "record player" of which you speak?:messedup:

just strum
July 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM
Is the arnm weighted/balanced correctly? What is the brand of your record player?

wingsdad
July 21st, 2009, 10:24 PM
How old is the turntable (record player)? Did it sound OK thru the same amp(s) before you got the new stylus? Newer (made in the last 7-10 yrs) stereo amps/recievers lack a dedicated 'phono' input with a dedicated preamp for the turntable (record player) device like older ones. Many newer turntables have built-in preamps; they didn't used to, when amps had phono inputs. Without a phono preamp, the signal strength won't be adequate. If that's waht seems to be lacking, you can get a separate phono preamp and plug it inline.

Nay
July 22nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
The turntable is a technics sl 230, I am not sure how old it is. I found an add from 1979 for the same model turntable on the internet, but I'm not sure how long technics made this model. I bought the record player at a garage sale a while back with a broken stylus. So, I never before tested it with the amp I have now. I took the broken stylus to a shop and the store owner gave me a new one that he said should work. He told me to put the counterweight between 2 and 2.5; the stylus itself is 1.5 grams. The amp I am using has a phono input which I used when I tested the record player but I had no luck.

WackyT
July 22nd, 2009, 08:45 PM
From what I found on the Technics SL-230, the headshell should have the following wire colors:

White = Left +
Blue = Left -
Red = Right +
Green = Right -

wingsdad
July 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Nay,
Sounds like you've got the right type of amp to play that turntable. But while you may have a new stylus, the cartridge -- the apparatus which holds the stylus -- may be deadsky. Back in '79, you could buy a replacement stylus, or cartridge, or both as a set. First check the wiring with WackyT's helpful wiring scheme, and if the cartridge is connected correctly.

Nay
July 23rd, 2009, 10:32 AM
I checked out the cartridge and the wires leading back to the arm of the turntable are in the order WackyT posted (thanks for posting that btw). The wires leading to toward the stylus end of the cartridge are:

Green labeled RG on the cartridge, but in the top left corner when looking from the back of the cartridge
Red labeled RS, bottom left corner
White labeled LS, bottom right corner
Blue labeled LG top right corner

If this is confusing I can take a picture. Thanks for all the help guys.

WackyT
July 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM
Glad to help out. The cartridge looks like it's wired correctly, Nay. Which cartridge do you have?

Nay
July 23rd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Glad to help out. The cartridge looks like it's wired correctly, Nay. Which cartridge do you have?

That's a good question haha. How do you check the type of cartridge?

WackyT
July 23rd, 2009, 05:47 PM
That's a good question haha. How do you check the type of cartridge?

It doesn't have a name on it, like Shure?

Nay
July 26th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Oh sorry I didn't look hard enough. The cartridge says ADC.

WackyT
July 26th, 2009, 04:00 PM
OK. That's a standard name. Have you check continuity between the cartridge leads and the leads going to the amp?

White = Left + = Left (usually white or black) center conductor
Blue = Left - = Left (usually white or black) shield conductor
Red = Right + = Right (usually red) center conductor
Green = Right - = Right (usually red) shield conductor

Nay
July 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I have not checked the leads and unfortunately I do not have a battery for my multimeter. I will check as soon as I get a battery. Thanks for the suggestion WackyT.

tjcurtin1
July 28th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Nay, it seems that you are getting some sound - could you characterize 'horrible'? Distorted, scratchy, weak, limited frequency range (no bass, no treble)?

Nay
July 29th, 2009, 02:54 PM
tjcurtin1, by horrible I mean weak and staticy. I can hear the different frequencies alright, there is just a lot of static and fuzz over it.

Kazz
July 29th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Did you ground the turn table?

bigG
July 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM
You could have the wrong stylus for that cartridge (probable).
Could be the wrong cartridge for that arm/turntable (possible). If you bought it at a garage sale, you don't know if it worked correctly when you got it, if I understand you right...you haven't played it since you rcvd it w the broken stylus?

There are 3 cartridge/needle types: ceramic = cheapos for BSR, Emerson, etc...

moving magnet = the most common and probable for a Technics (Panasonic)

moving coil = higher end for more expensive turntables (usually selling at $1000 or more) and require a separate pre-amp specifically for moving coil output.

Sounds to me like the stylus is incorrect or defective. Check here for info by name of cartridge manufacturer (ADC, in your case) and by matching up your exact cartridge w pics on page:

http://www.needlefinder.net/

Sounds to me like you have the wrong stylus. If you paid less than $12 or so, you likely have a ceramic stylus, when you need a moving magnet (usually $20 and up).

Good luck.

WackyT
July 30th, 2009, 08:18 AM
If you want to get another good (not great) turntable for $55 shipped, check out today's Woot.

Ion Audio USB Turntable (http://www.woot.com/)

http://sale.images.woot.com/Ion_Audio_USB_TurntableicmStandard.jpg

Nay
August 2nd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Kazz, I did ground the turntable in multiple locations and it didn't seem to have any effect.

bigG, Thanks for all the info. When I bought the turntable the guy told me it did work, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it worked. I paid $25 for the stylus so I'm assuming its a moving coil. I took the cartridge into a shop and the employee gave me a stylus so he could have possibly given me the wrong one. I will compare my cartridge on that site as soon as I get a chance; unfortunately I am separated from the turntable for a little bit.

WackyT, thanks for the link, I did not get to it in time and I don't really have the spare cash to buy a different turntable anyways haha. I've never heard of that site...looks pretty cool