PDA

View Full Version : Gear Of Yesteryear

6STRINGS 9LIVES
August 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Nothing screams the 80's like a Steinberger bass or guitar . Anyone ever own or play one of these ?.Designed by Ned Steinberger, the prototype was built in 1979, and manufacturing began in 1982, with the 6 string version following in 1984.It seems the Steinberger showed up in all of the early 80's videos , I remember some guys gigging with them locally , but they were played by some pretty heavy hitters too, EVH, Gilmour, Geddy Lee, Sting , to name a few.6S9L

marnold
August 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I wanted to get one in the late 80s, mainly because the bass I was using weighed a ton. Once I saw the price tag on them, I knew I had to look elsewhere. Thankfully the poplar-bodied Peavey Fury that I got was much lighter and actually in my price range.

Nelskie
August 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
I played one at my local music shop way back in 1984. There was a lot of hub-bub about the shop getting one, and of course, it wasn't available for anyone off the street to play (usually, a closely chaperoned session). While the guitar itself was very playable, and sounded good, I did not like the small body section at all. It felt like I was playing a lacrosse stick with strings. Aesthetically, it wasn't that appealing, either. Anyways - that Steinberger sat in the music store for several years, cuz' nobody wanted to buy it. One weekend home from college, I went down to the shop, and saw it missing from its usual place. As a matter of fact, I think there was even an faint outline on the wall where it hung!! "Hey, what happened to the Steinberger," I asked. The owner grumbled that some collector had come into the shop, and shot him a lowball offer. I think he sold it just to get rid of it.

I guess it just goes to show you how fickle the guitar-buying public is when approaching new, or radically different designs. Even though there was some big-time engineering and design know-how behind the Steinberger basses / guitars, they certainly didn't set the market on fire commercially.

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2006, 09:06 AM
What was Geddy thinking!

SuperSwede
August 21st, 2006, 12:12 PM
I wonder where Robert is, I know that he had a Steinberger guitar..

Tone2TheBone
August 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM
What was Robert thinking!

SuperSwede
August 21st, 2006, 01:11 PM
Maybe he was into rastafari? I´ve seen several reggae bands using them :D