PDA

View Full Version : What To Set for Good Action On My Guitar

psypsp
July 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM
Hi, I am new here. There is something about my guitar that very annoys me.
I had a lot of buzzing near the nut and the first few frets. Ilearned how to set up my guitar and all. I checked the frets and they looked okay so I added relief to my neck, then I adjusted the action and intonation. I have two questions: 1) I still have fret buzz , so changing to a new set of strings will solve this?
2) The action in my guitar is low near the nut na getting higher toward the body making it harder to play in the higher fret. Should the action be even throughout the entire fretboard or Is this normal?

I will be grateful for every advice and info.

Rampant
July 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hi matey

Welcome to forum. I'm sure more seasoned regulars will be posting shortly, but here's my (relatively novice) opinion...

It sounds as though you might have to get your truss rod adjusted to stop the fret buzz at the nut end - there should be a slight concave bend in the neck - look down the guitar neck from the bridge to gauge whether this small upward bend is present or not.

Secondly, after getting the truss rod action adjusted, you may need to adjust the height of the bridge to lower the action at bridge towards the fretboard...

Which may lead to a need to re-adjust the truss rod.

And then the intonation...

I've set up my own electric guitar by myself, but you may seriously want to get it set up by a pro. Most guitar shops will offer the service, either in-house or through their preferred set-up dude. Cost is not too much and is definitely worth the outlay in getting a guitar that plays well and doesn't frustrate you - and frustration may end in you giving up learning!

Cheerz

Mark H

thekiwidisciple
July 23rd, 2009, 07:07 AM
Hi, I am new here. There is something about my guitar that very annoys me.
I had a lot of buzzing near the nut and the first few frets. Ilearned how to set up my guitar and all. I checked the frets and they looked okay so I added relief to my neck, then I adjusted the action and intonation. I have two questions: 1) I still have fret buzz , so changing to a new set of strings will solve this?
2) The action in my guitar is low near the nut na getting higher toward the body making it harder to play in the higher fret. Should the action be even throughout the entire fretboard or Is this normal?

I will be grateful for every advice and info.

It could be a combination of issues, but from what you've described, it sounds like a poorly-cut (or overworn) nut, as well as too much relief on your neck. The action will get higher as you go towards the higher registers on the neck, compared to frets near the nut, this is normal. It shoudln't, however, differ so much that you are having trouble playing high notes.

Are you able to measure the neck relief and action and let us know? If you could, that'll help us answer your questions. I would suggest, however, that you take it to a competent tech for him to fix up and get it playing at it's best.

Ben.

evenkeel
July 23rd, 2009, 07:38 AM
Before you go twisting truss rods and adjusting saddles lets check a few things first.

If you are getting a buzz on the lower frets there is a chance the nut is very worn and/or poorly cut. Simple way to check.

Push hard and release the string right in front of the nut. This is just to assure the string is well set into the groove. Now depress the string between the second and third fret. You should have just a trace of space (a paper width) between the string and the first fret. If the string is hitting the fret the nut is cut to deep.

Look at this site for further info.
http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/NutAction/nutaction.html

You can also check the Frets.com site for further info on saddle adjustment, action, neck relief, etc.. Even if you opt to have the guitar set up by a pro, it's good to have an idea of what the issues might be.

psypsp
July 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
I have an ESP Viper 50 and it's a Gibson SG styled guitar.
I made all the measurements and everything's fine. I can't raise the bridge (a Tonepros TOM) because the action is already high enugh. And as I said I already have relief.
About the nut I don't know. It looks fine. If somebody can post a picture of a perfect nut from the side it'll help. My nut is pretty big, it's not like Fender nuts.

psypsp
July 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Oh and my nut looks a lot like the top one in the pic-

http://www.stewmac.com/product_images/1lg/6000/White_Bone_Nuts_Detail.jpg

Heywood Jablomie
July 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
PSYPSP, what is the clearance (between the top of the fret and the bottom of the string) on each of the E strings at the 12th fret, as the guitar is now?

TS808
July 23rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
First, if you are getting fret buzz at the top and bottom of the neck, it is possible your neck may be too straight. Place a capo at the first fret, and then press on the last fret of your low e string...there should be a clearance between the top of the 8th fret and the bottom of the low e string roughly the size of a .010 string. If your string is touching the frets your neck is too straight.

Also, measure the height between the 15th fret and the bottom of your strings...it should be about 2/32" for low action (take the capo off and don't fret any notes).

My guess is that your neck is too straight. Also, lighter gauge strings and low action will tend to give some fret buzz too. If I'm using 9's on my guitars, I usually get more buzz and have to raise the action a bit.

deeaa
July 23rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
This is how I check things.

1. Tune the guitar

2. press down on 1st fret and last fret on high E string. Pluck the string with your 3rd :-) arm. It should JUST ring out freely. Just barely. If it does that, the neck relief is correct. Note: on low E there could/should be even more curve, but just pay attention to high E for starters.

3. IF the string plays freely and there's plenty of room for it, the relief is too much; turn the neck screw clockwise 1/4 turns max at time; re-tune, play for a while, preferably the rest of the night, then start over.

IF the string won't sound at all, check a.) does it ring free when you press 1st and any given fret between, say 10th and 14th? If yes, you may have a 'heel rise' or simply high frets > level, polish, or refret the axe. Check between here and there randomly to find high/sunken frets.

b.) normal case: hopefully it's the same all along the neck > turn 1/4 turns counterclockwise to give it more relief, wait, re-check...until you get it to just ring out.

After this is done check the nut slots - is the string too high over the 1st fret? Cut deeper. Too low? Quick fix - add some superglue to slot, let dry, see if it sits higher/better. Works for a good while but you really need a new nut.

When all is done, see if the same applies to low E side when it' good for high E - on a good guitar there is usually some more bow to low side to allow for more movement for thicker strings, but if there are clear problems, the neck could be a propeller > new neck.

just strum
July 23rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
How long have you been playing guitar? I know this may sound insulting (not the first time I would be accused of that), but it could be your fretting technique. It's a more common problem than a lot of people realize.

ZMAN
July 23rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
A lot of good information.
I am a low action guy and I have a person who sets up my guitars with the lowest possible action. No buzzes. One of the first things he checks for is High and low frets. They may look good but if you use a straight edge, and it rocks back and forth no amount of nut cutting or saddle raising will stop the buzzing. So basically you want all of the frets to be the same height. THEN you can adjust nut, neck relief, and raise or lower the bridge.
I recently had a 400 dollar Vintage Gold top set up and he charged me 100 dollars for a fret level and set up. Now it plays like a dream with no buzzing.
If you get a steel ruler about 8 inches to a foot and put it on the fret board lengthwise you will be able to find and uneven frets. The first place to start with buzzes.

psypsp
July 24th, 2009, 01:55 AM
How long have you been playing guitar? I know this may sound insulting (not the first time I would be accused of that), but it could be your fretting technique. It's a more common problem than a lot of people realize.

This happens to me but only when I play chord cuz I am only playing for 4 months now.

About the clearence in the nut. The height between the top of the fingerboard at the first fret and the strings is about- 2/32" in the treble side and a little bit more in the bass side.

There is something I was thinking about- is it possible to add more relief (thus eliminating the buzzing) and still maintain low action by lowering the bridge?

Also i think my nut is fine cuz the holes are not too deep. They're about half of the string's diameter. I don't get something,cuz I saw guitars with string holes at the nut that are way deep in the nut and the strings actually go through the nut and not above it. (?)

About the frets, they look fine to me I don't think that's the problem and also I don't have a hump in the high frets.

If my first question (about adding relief and still maintaining low action) is possible that will surely help me. Sorry for writing so much